GS drama

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by becky, Dec 30, 2009.

1. becky

becky Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2009

Our cookie selling time is over here. Two weeks ago, I get an email from a GS poobah saying our cookie money wasn't deposited. I forwarded this to our cookie mom and also called her. She said she simply forgot. This lady has been in GS since 1967, so I trusted her. Last week, I get another email that it is imperative that the money be turned in. My husband went to her house to get the money and deposit it himself, or at least get her to admit what's going on. He was afraid we'd be on the hook somehow.

Turns out, she left it in her van and it got stolen- all over 1,400.00 of it. She also said her family's Christmas money was stolen. She eventually talked to GS about it, and even told them to leave me alone, cause I didn't know anything about it. She hid this for an entire month. I was totally unaware.

This is one of many bumps I've hit with this troop, and I've decided to not return next year. From the crap I've dealt with in the beginning, to this, and to the unsupportive council, I've had enough. I'll get the girls where they need to be, and by then the year will be up.

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 30, 2009

Oh, how awful! I know you've struggled with GS a lot.

A side note...is she really called a poobah? Because that struck me as really funny for some reason!

4. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Dec 30, 2009

This story sounds fishy. Was she really robbed? I just ask because times are hard. Even the people who you think would never rob or need money, are willing to do it. I wasn't in GS, but I was in brownies. I remember the drama and having to sell cookies. It started out fun, but I was glad when my mom let me quit. I think some parents take their role in this kinds of organizations too seriously.

5. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 30, 2009

I think her story stinks. We have fund raisers at school quite often and kids will tell me their parents spent the money they collected, but the parents will tell the money was lost or stolen. I smell a rat with this woman's tale.

Sometimes it's just time to walk away from crazy people.

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 30, 2009

Yikes....does she have a police report to back up the "theft"? If she doesn't, then I'd start to question the truthfulness of her story. If it is legit, do the Girl Scouts have a policy or procedure for dealing with this sort of thing?

7. becky

becky Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2009

No, lol, they are not called a poobah!
    I'm showing my age- remember Fred Flinstone? Remember the 'Grand Poobah' at the Loyal Order of Water Buffaloes?

I'm also making a statement, because I am not enchanted with the leadership in our council.

8. becky

becky Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2009

No matter what happened to the money, she has to make these huge payments- two 500.00 ones, and one 400.00 one. Plus, she has to make payments to our troop. So, whether she's lying or not, she's got to pay this back.

GS is like the Mafia where their money is concerned. If someone buys a 3.50 box of cookies but doesn't pay, it can go as far as GS getting the IRS on that person's behind. We learned all kinds of stories at cookie training, including a cookie mom that used cookie money for Christmas. She planned to use her husband's bonus to pay it back without anyone knowing, but he got laid off instead of getting a bonus!!

9. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Dec 30, 2009

I'm sorry you have to deal with this, Becky. Probably best you get out now - it's obviously not enhancing your life anyway!

This does remind me that we ordered BS popcorn and never got it - I don't think we paid for it yet, though, at least. lol

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 30, 2009

The title Poobah predates the Flintstones: it's the name of a very self-important character in Gilbert & Sullivan's comic opera The Mikado. Pooh-Bah is an official with a string of grand-sounding titles that don't amount to much, including Lord High Everything Else. G&S's goal was to satirize British current events. One suspects they'd have a field day with this.

11. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2009

I agree that I would question it. If it was stolen, her insurance should cover that, or at least there should be a police report.

12. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 30, 2009

Becky I think you should write a book about all this GS drama! It would open a lot of people's eyes I'm sure.

At least you are not on the hook for it in any way. Sorry you are having to deal with all this, especially this time of year!

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2009

Call the police station of the town in which the cookie money person lives and see if a report was filed. This story sounds questionable to me.

I was involved in a club once where the treasurer didn't deposit some money-since the club had military connections her husband's career could have been affected so there was some leverage making it easier to get the money from her. Needless to say, we stripped her of her treasurer duties.

14. becky

becky Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2009

I've heard so many stories of troop leaders stealing dues, cookie moms stealing cookie money. There's a troop here that did three fundraisers but the troop is broke, because the leader had been siphoning money into her own account.

15. becky

becky Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2009

TG, I thought we were buddies! Did you have to expose my lack of culture??:lol:

Going by your explanation, poobah ( I like my spelling, lol.) does actually fit the GS heads.

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 30, 2009

What kind of dingaling leaves money (especially money she's being held accountable for) in a van?? That's just stupidity, if it's even the real story. If she was responsible she would have kept it SAFE until she deposited it.

17. becky

becky Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2009

I said this, too.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 30, 2009

Aw, becky: yours is the correct spelling for the title, mine's the correct spelling for the character that inspired the title.

As to the aptness of the title for the GS honchos (honchae?)... *insert here snicker*

19. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Dec 30, 2009

I was a girlscout for over 15 yeras. I'd probably still be one if college hadn't taken over my life. I've even thought in the last few years of becoming a scout leader or assistant leader. It's sad to hear about this and the negativity people have had! At least in my area, it was a great institution! I was recently cleaning some stuff out from my parents and found some of my old stuff!

Hopefully you can find a better troop and your kiddos can have a positive experience, I know I did.

While there are bad leaders etc etc. I wouldn't go around putting a bad name to the whole idea of Girl Scouts. My area in Ohio is fantastic. Every summer at our local park we had our Summer Fun Days..and a former teacher of mine..who is retired...still participates as a local leader in our girl scout community.

It's the same thing that irritates me..on the news when they go on and on about a teacher who slept with a student, or whatever the case may be..so it puts a bad name and higher pressure on all teachers.

I guess I'm of a different opinion b/c I had such a great experience as a scout.

20. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 30, 2009

I was in all sorts of clubs as a kid, and hated them all. The extra competition and games did not make my life more fun. As a kid, I wanted to explore my own pursuits, not those laid out for me. My point, maybe your daughter does not need GS. Let her lead you to her activities.

21. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Dec 30, 2009

Becky- I was a leader in a large Service Unit that experienced a lot of drama, too. It was not unusual for cookie money to get "stolen". I had problems with a parent not turning in money. Other troops did have the Cookie Mom "lose" money. I'm sad for your troop. :( They worked hard.

I found the Girl Scouts to be kind of militant. In my case the benefits of GS far outweighed the rest of the bull. Both my girls have fantastic memories. As a leader, I do too.

I laughed at your perfect description of the Cookie Manager as the Grand Poobah. I picture a woman wearing that hat with the horns on the sides worn by the Loyal Order of Water Buffalos!

22. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 30, 2009

Me too lol

23. becky

becky Enthusiast

Dec 31, 2009

No, she does love GS. She has told me long ago she wants to finish all the levels and maybe be a leader herself one day.

24. becky

becky Enthusiast

Dec 31, 2009

I could probably rate a Lifetime movie!:lol: Let's see....

My two original co-leaders secretly split from me, in part because I wouldn't keep out a particular girl.

They almost successfully stole one of my girls away, then told lies about me to her mom, so the mom would transfer her.

GS was going to assist this stealing of a girl, because they are 'thankful for anyone stepping up to lead.'

The mom involved recently told me she forgave those two hayseeds, and she posts on her Facebook the things they all do together, while her girl is never allowed to come to field trips I plan.

Oh- and yesterday she told me she now wants to sit in on meetings and observe. Anybody else smell a set up here? She said she'll even help, but every time I ask her to do something, I get a list of why she can't do it.

My cookie mom told me not long ago she was friends with the hayseeds, too. They told her the same lies they told that mom.

Finally, the cookie mom 'loses' our cookie money. This has been my GS year.

If I get that Lifetime movie, I think I want Rosie o' Donnell to play me..maybe Chris Noth to play my husband, lol.

25. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 31, 2009

This is why whenever I order something from kids at school for fundraisers, I always write it down and keep it in my desk. It would be so easy for them to say they lost the money or it was stolen or even that I never ordered from them or gave them money. And a lot of the fundraisers kids bring in are from outside clubs.

Anyone remember the movie Troop Beverly Hills? They had the one leader spy on her, too, remember? haha.

26. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Dec 31, 2009

lol! My older daughter was in a troop similar to the one in Camp Beverly Hills, at the same time my younger daughter's troop was the "Red Feathers". We both attended the same over-night camp. We cooked on an open fire with Buddy Burners and a Dutch Oven. My older daughter's troop had pizza delivered! :lol:

27. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Dec 31, 2009

People say I'm old fashioned, but when I used to have the money to do these things I would write a check. That way I had proof of paying money and who I paid it to. At a job I had, some woman was collecting money for a cancer walk. She was all can you donate. I wall all, ok. How much do you recommend. She was like 20 is a good amount. I thought it was a bit high, but I was all it's for a good cause. So, I was all what cancer society are you doing the walk for. She seemed sketchy. I was all who do I make the check out to? She was all they don't take checks. That's when I said I'm sorry I don't have cash on me, which I usually don't anyway. She even was like oh, maybe you can go to the ATM (which was six blocks away :eek:) during lunch and give me the cash. Anyway, I didn't. She got fired some time later and we found out she taken the money and spent it on booze. She had an alcohol problem.

28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2009

I'm all like not into drama at all.

29. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 31, 2009

:rolleyes:

30. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Dec 31, 2009

[​IMG]

When I was a GS...I don't ever remember seeing that kind of drama out of a troop or troop leader...geez. Takes all the fun out of what it is for. I had the best time in GS.

31. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jan 1, 2010

They might have kept it from the girls. My Jeannie has no idea our cookie money went missing.

32. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Jan 1, 2010

I hate that this has happened to you, becky! You think about what GS is around to do-- to serve, help others, and to teach girls how to be kind and caring to everyone around them -- and then the moms do the exact opposite. Ugh! I hope they get a wake up call someday and realize how they're acting. :dizzy:

33. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jan 1, 2010

Today I got a comical update from Jeannie's old troop.
    As her last meeting with them appraoached, Jeannie's former leader told me there were many girls on a waiting list to take her spot. Today there was a small, troop submitted story about them in the paper, along with a picture. No 'many new girls', though; same old troop.

34. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 1, 2010

Haha that Dipsy Doodle of a leader was all talk, huh LOL

35. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jan 1, 2010

She was just telling me to not let the door hit me on the way out, lol. Typical her.:rolleyes: