Grrrrrr (teachers' babies)

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by Poisontipped, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Poisontipped

Poisontipped Rookie

Oct 18, 2006

The other day I was having a pretty important test for my year 12 end of module. However, because one of the teachers was away I had a relief (aka substitute) teacher teaching us, she just came off of maternity leave and brought her young 1 year old baby too class.

For the whole 60 minutes during the test. The baby was giggling, gargling, screaming, cooing and whatnot. So, the teacher let it out of her pram (obviously trying to solve the problem, which it didn't), in which the baby then took crawling under our desks and smashing things again the floor causing a racket. Meanwhile the teacher is standing thier gushing over her child. She made poor attempts to quieten the baby down, but they didnt work.

I mean, I understand that childcare is expensive (shes not a single parent, her and her husbane are both teachers and work at the same school) But for TEE (Tertiary Entrace Exams, meaning it's a subject aimed to get you into university/college) subjects and a pretty important test. I really felt that bringing a baby into class for a test was just not on. I know babies cant help it, but they are disrupted.

Just needed to vent.

What do you teachers think from a teachers POV? Are teachers allowed to bring babies to school? Do you think I'm over-reacting???

Thanks

3. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Oct 19, 2006

You are not overreacting! You need to report her to your school. There is no reason for a professional to bring their child to work.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 19, 2006

It's completely unprofessional!!!

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 19, 2006

I can't believe that is allowed! Some of our teachers have occasionally had their children at school (when Professional Development Days didn't coincide), but these are grade 4-6 students who are able to help out with some of the younger students, do what the clas is doing, or keep themselves occupied...never someone who needs constant care!

6. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Oct 19, 2006

That is totally unacceptable, definitely ask for special consideration and make a written report to the school principal. Keep a copy of the report and sent it to the Department of ed. There is no way it is okay to bring a baby to class.

7. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Oct 19, 2006

That's not okay. It's going to be completely distracting to those trying to take the test. Not fair of her at all.