grrrr....

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by born2teach84, Jun 28, 2007.

1. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Jun 28, 2007

Ok so I am online looking through my counties library catalog to check out some books that can help me with my teaching and they don't have very many. I think I have found TWO that people have suggested!! It makes me mad because I can't afford to buy them, I went to amazon, half.com and they are still 16, 20, 30 dollars. It just irritates me because people know we don't make much and I am not making ANY money this summer so I can't spend much. I was really excited about reading them and now I wont be able to. I emailed the head librarian and asked if there was anyway to suggest books because as a teacher it is hard to purchase all of these strategy books on top of all the other things we have to buy. I haven't heard back yet. The other counties around don't have the books either. Just makes me mad. :) Ok stepping down off my soap box. I needed to vent, husband doesn't understand. :)

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2007

Is there something specific you want help with? I'm guessing that the range of experience on this site may help as much as some of the books.

4. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2007

Are you already employed as a teacher? Many districts have professional libraries that they maintain for this very reason. They have books for grown-ups about theory and practice, but also have subscriptions to journals and to teacher's helper sorts of magazines. We have some at our school, but our board of ed houses the majority of materials. I used it extensively when I was completing my master's thesis.
    Kim

5. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Jun 28, 2007

I am employed, and that is something to look into. I wouldn't know where to begin. We have a HUGE county and I know some schools in the county keep books in their own library for this but it is up to the principal what the school buys or if they have the books. Unless you work at the school you can't check them out. To Alice, I am not sure what I am looking for. I guess just general strategies for reading, math and writing. I wanted to read different books to get different ideas. I just wish they had more to pick from.

6. glenn

glenn Rookie

Jun 28, 2007

Do any of the libraries in your area do interlibrary loans?

7. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Jun 28, 2007

I know all the libraries in the county loan to each other, meaning there is about 19 libraries that share books. You can look at the catolog and then they send the books to the library closest to you and you can check it out. Other then that I am not sure about interlibrary loans. What do you mean by interlibrary loans?

8. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2007

Another great place to look is in the library of a college or university, if you have one locally. Our local community college will loan items to teachers in the local public school system as well as to their own students.
    Kim

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2007

I'm not an ebay person, but is there any way you can find them there?

10. glenn

glenn Rookie

Jun 28, 2007

Here in Phoenix when you do an inter library loan they will try to get to the book from another library. That library could be 100 miles away from Phoenix or 1500 miles away.
    This web site shows which libraries own a particular book.

worldcat.org

11. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 29, 2007

How about asking some of your teacher friends if they have any you could borrow?

If other schools in your county have them, check with your principal or curriculum person and see if they could get them for you. What a waste for the book to just sit on the shelf if someone wants to use it!

12. CityESLTeacher

CityESLTeacher Rookie

Jun 29, 2007

Does your local Barnes and Noble have books. Mine does, and I have been spending time at the cafe reading teacher books w/o buying.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2007

My library system does not have many 'teacher books' either. They have some parenting behavior management stuff which you could adapt to a classroom but not strictly teaching books. You're better off with the suggestions mentioned already-public libraries generally don't stock the teacher stuff ...just a thought- does your district have a professional library? or maybe a local college with an ed dept has 'teaching' books in their library?

14. yclark

yclark Comrade

Jun 30, 2007

Check with your professional development department of your school board. Ours has a huge library and they get all excited when people ask questions.

15. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 30, 2007

I agree that you need to check your district's professional development office. It is also a good idea to try interlibrary loans, which were my first thought. I have borrowed books from the Library of Congress, and many other libraries far far from Louisiana. Finally, if there is a college (community or 4-year) near you, they may have a good selection in their library, or (like LSU-S has) they may have a curriculum support library strictly for education students and teachers.

16. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 1, 2007

How about Scholastic...they should be having some warehouse sales and they do have a website for ordering...though not sure about the cost compare to other places but they have great books.

17. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Jul 1, 2007

There are 3 colleges near here, and I have been able to get a library cards there, for a very small fee (about $5), that allows me to take out books. Is there any book in particular you are looking for? I have lots of resouce books I do not use anymore.