GRRRR Do I have to be the one who does it all?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TemperanceFaith, Aug 29, 2008.

1. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Aug 29, 2008

:lol: Ok, this is probably my first of many vents, but Jeepers Cats, am I the only one that can be expected to know where anything is in this house? It's not like I have nothing else to do right now.

I swear, I am going to have to make everyone a cubby in this house and color code everything like its a classroom and they are all pre-k kids. This includes at the top of the list, the 42 year old man child. :rolleyes:

If one more person makes me look for the obvious, that is exactly what I am doing.:D

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2008

I know exactly how you feel!! My DH is always asking where something is even though it turns out to be right in front of his face! Husbands seem to be the worst. My daughter is only 4 and she's good about putting stuff back where they belong.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2008

TF- You've trained them that way- you've been doing everything for a long time and they got used to it! Now you have to re-train them! (Good luck on that one!!)

5. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Aug 29, 2008

I guess it is my own fault. They are now totally dependent on me. Fortunately for me, they do know how to wipe their own behinds, or that would probably be my job too. :rolleyes:

Of course, if I ask for a five second backrub, suddenly everyone has something better to do.:rolleyes:

Yes, I am pmsing and feeling overneeded and underappreciated right now. I need some chocolate.

6. mylonite

mylonite Rookie

Aug 29, 2008

My husband is the same way -

"honey, do we have any trash bags?" I get up and walk over to the PLACE WE STORE THE TRASH BAGS and offer him the options - "grocery bag, kitchen bag, or contractor bag, sweetie?" glare included free.

"honey, have you seen the tweezers?" I look where they belong - no luck. I check in the bathroom HE'S STANDING IN, and say as brightly as I can, "oh, look, here they are - right where you used them last night!"

::sigh:: our families are really stepping up the "So when are you guys going to 'start a family'" crap - we have no intention of having kids. Stuff like this does nothing to change my mind =P

7. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Aug 29, 2008

That's funny! One of the issues that prompted this post was over nailclippers. I have bins under the sink that organize everything, and it is pretty obvious what contains what; toothpaste and teeth related things, one bin. First aid stuff like neosporin and bandaids, etc, another bin. Nail care, another bin. It just takes looking at the stuff in each bin to tell which is the difference. Which really, for people in this household all over the age of 5, should be able to do. My 2 year old niece could find the nail clippers if I sent her in there.:lol:

But it necessitated a trip for me into the bathroom, where I pulled out the basket and handed the clippers over. To which I got not a thank you, but "Do you think you could find a better way to organize this stuff? ":eek::rolleyes: He's lucky if he does not wake tomorrow morning to a cleanly plucked nether region.

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 29, 2008

DH can find everything, he just doesn't put things away. As I type, he's left his plate and coffee cup on the couch AGAIN. It will stay there until either I take it into the kitchen or he moves it to the arm of the love seat (where I'll definitely move it so the cat doesn't knock it down).

9. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2008

Wow.:eek::eek: You have a substantial education coming if you think you'll be able to pluck him bare without waking him up.

10. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2008

TF...... somethings are difficult for guys........ like finding stuff.....:D:D:D

11. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2008

Consider it as job security if he has to ask where things are he wont leave you because he wont know where things are
    :rofl: :toofunny: :rofl: :toofunny: :rofl:

12. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2008

Well Dave, my wife has LOTS of job security.... I have to ask her if she knows where my latest copy of Sports Illustrated is........:lol::lol::lol::lol:

13. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2008

I bet you don't misplace the swimsuit issue

14. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2008

Your right about that... unless she has thrown it out......:p:p:p

15. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Aug 29, 2008

He read what I wrote about the cleanly plucked regions, and is torn between sleeping on the couch or with one eye propped open with a toothpick. :lol:

I said the only way of avoiding it is to give me a backrub.

16. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2008

It is funny When I subscribed to Sports Illustrated I would read at the swimsuit issue at the mail box and then throw it out before I got in the house I did not think my son needed to see it

17. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2008

What if he pays for a massage?

18. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Aug 29, 2008

Oh, we have that problem too. That, and the problem my teenaged son has with laundry. Inevitably, after I have washed everything in the house, he asks me "Are you doing any laundry, mommy?" The mommy is a sign that I am about to be shmoozed, because no self respecting 16 year old boy calls their mother mommy unless they are sick, or want something. (Ok, sometimes he says it just to say it:wub: but you know what I mean)

It is usually after11 at night when this happens, and its usually something he needs washed and dried for the morning, which means staying awake for all the cycles.

I used to do it, believe it or not, but now I have finally learned to ignore the mother guilt and say "The detergent is next to the washer. Read the bottle, it says DETERGENT. Do NOT touch any dials or knobs other than the one that says wash cycle. Oh, and give me anything red right now. Goodnight and have fun"

19. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Aug 29, 2008

If he pays for a massage, it will be given by some woman named Gerta and she will weigh 857 pounds.

Now if I pick and pay for the massage, it will be by someone named Fernando who, when not giving massages, doubles as a pool boy.

You see how I might lose on that deal?

20. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2008

Fernando has been sent back to Mexico he was an illegal:lol::whistle:

21. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Aug 29, 2008

:lol: Ok, then I will take Pierre Luigi.

22. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2008

But I know some substitute teachers who give great massages...... and one in particular has his hot tub going as we speak........:D:D:D:lol::lol::lol:

23. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 29, 2008

Gosh, Do you have a suggestion for how to train my husband to hang up his clothes when he comes home from work? Sigh. I've asked him to, but it doesn't work. I'm tempted to just say, "Honey, all I want for my birthday is for you to start hanging up your clothes when you get home."

24. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Aug 29, 2008

Hey, that's not fair. Whose side are you on, anyway?

25. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2008

Didn't know there were "sides"..........:lol::lol::lol: Surely this is just a unisex discussion.........:lol: :lol::lol:

26. becky

becky Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2008

It is my experience that any time my husband says 'Where is the...?', whatever it is will be right in front of him when I go in to help him. I have started ignoring him when he asks, because he's just being lazy.

My son is big on leaving a trail of clothes on the floor, like he's afraid of getting lost! I give him two warnings, and then I pick it up- and throw it away. I've done the same to Jeannie with toys. I tell her straight up if I find toys on the floor when I come down in the morning, I will throw them out.

27. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 29, 2008

My husband has plenty of job security. He makes me grilled cheese sandwhiches at 3am when I have insommia, picks the kids up from daycare everyday, has supper ready (didn't say it was gourmet) and does laundry. If I have to be the "where is.." person, it's a small price to pay.

28. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2008

Dave & Sarge, I wonder if you can tell me. Why do men leave their dirty clothes 'next" to the clothes hamper instead of actually putting them "in" the hamper?

29. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2008

Because you put the lid down the man can't make a jump shot
    Put a hoop over it

30. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 30, 2008

When it comes to finding something, yeah, I have to find it. DH has select vision.

But if he wants to eat, he has to do the dishes or I can't cook his meals. That's the least he can do. We both work, we both come home tired and I also have to deal with Emily. I don't bother picking up her toys. I got tired of being the only picking them up. So when he gripes about it, I just say, "well, pick it up"
    or "I'm tired about things being strown, too, but I'm also tired of being the only picking them up and I didn't make the mess."

31. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 30, 2008

I guess a husband that does stuff isn't as interesting. :)

32. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 30, 2008

Are you kidding? Rent him out as a trainer!

33. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Aug 30, 2008

I hate it when he says, "Where do you keep the _______?"

Me: "I hid it. Good luck."

We've lived in this house for twenty years. Scissors, nail clippers, trash bags, light bulbs, etc. have been in the same place all that time. Sheesh.

34. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 30, 2008

Lol. I change the location of a lot of stuff, especially my husband's stuff every time he leaves the country on a business trip. Then I have total memory loss as to where I put it and he has to go looking for it. Oops.

35. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 30, 2008

Men organize different than women.
    Just to prove it, look how you give directions to some place and then look how you husband gives directions to the same place (how you organize directions) Studies over the past decade have shown that women are likelier to rely on landmarks and visual cues, and men on maps, cardinal directions (such as north and south) and gauges of distance.

One year My wife helped me set up my room after a move
    Now remember I was a shop teacher
    For 6 months I had to call her to ask her where she put something