grrr - everyone is grouchy!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by bonneb, May 2, 2007.

1. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 2, 2007

Everyone at my school is getting so grouchy!!!!! We are all getting on each others' nerves! Every little thing seems to set someone off. Does anyone else experience this at your schools? How do you deal with all the negative talk, looks, attitudes???????????

3. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

May 2, 2007

It s the end-of-the-year 'tude. Everyone is so sick of being couped up together for 9 months, they are ready to get outside! Can you imagine if we had 365 jobs and there was no cycle? Yikes, I'd be nuts!!!!

4. Commartsy

Commartsy Companion

May 2, 2007

Margaritas. :D

Seriously, we don't have much trouble with this between staff members, but I know I'm to the point where if one more parent tries to blame me for something a student did wrong, I'm going to line up the whole family and go down the line slapping them in turn. :eek:

5. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 2, 2007

Margaritas are good. The image of going down the line slapping is good. Made me laugh!

6. Yen

Yen Rookie

May 2, 2007

I know for a fact I'm grouchy. I see everyone's homeroom classes (we have almost 900 students) and I see how teachers are tired and so they are a bit more lenient on their students. Then the kiddos come to me and they want to do whatever it is they want to do when they want to do it. I'm about to tear my hair out!

7. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

May 2, 2007

I was just thinking the same thing when I logged on today. EVERYONE is getting on each others last nerve. I am even having behavior issues with the angels of the class! Thank god 28 more days to go. Everyone is short with each other and very nasty over at my school...

8. nc4th

nc4th Rookie

May 2, 2007

I think my school is the opposite, we are all grouchy so we are more strict with our kids. I am in a large school as well with 1270-something kids. I think with so many kids and teachers you are bound to get annoyed with at least 1. You will not always be everyone's cup of tea just like everyone wont be yours. I think with End of Grade Testing coming up we have so much stress on top of the kids spring fever is a recipe for grouchy teachers. :eek:

9. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

May 2, 2007

Honey, you said it!:eek:

10. 4monthcountdown

4monthcountdown Comrade

May 2, 2007

Fortunately I haven't noticed any grouchiness. Everyone is pretty pleasant at my school(except for the secretary who is ALWAYS a grouch.) Maybe evreyone is in a good mood because it's the last month.

11. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

May 2, 2007

Wear a clown suit on Friday and pass out silk flowers to the crabby patties!!! :)

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 2, 2007

I'm pretty crabby, myself.

13. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

May 2, 2007

"It's the most wonderful time of the year!"

NOT!

14. Jill420791

Jill420791 Companion

May 2, 2007

I know at my school some are grouchy but I am not, like someone said it just makes me stricter with my kids but they have spring fever and want to do whatever but I wont let them. We are done June 1st!!

15. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 2, 2007

Sometimes I wake up grouchy

sometimes I let her sleep

16. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 2, 2007

Very Funny!!!!!!!!:D :p

17. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 2, 2007

Aside for the funny I am grouchy now because we are past the 100 day mark and the State tests are over NOW kids can be removed from school at will. At this time the teachers have just reached their breaking point. Welcome to grouchville

18. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 2, 2007

I am grouchy at work and bummed at home. I HATE playground duty in the afternoon. Did I mention that I HATE it??? It is sooooo boring and the kids are maniacs. I pass the time sweeping the black top so I don't go completely insane!
    At home, it's supper, hubby watching boring things on tv and then to bed (for him) by 8:00. AFter that, it's me, the cats and the computer. Boooooooring.

19. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

May 2, 2007

From time to time we all get to each other, too. We're not different than the kids. They need a break from each other sometimes and we're the same.

It's not actually anything too bad, just generally grouchy, touchy, and worn out.

Today one person got under my skin. It wasn't that he intentionally did any one thing, it was combo. You know . . . one of those "straw that broke the camel's back" moments . . . that occurred in the afternoon. I just quit dealing with them. Well, he got confused about the afternoon schedule because it was different. He sent three students to me for the schedule. What they said was, "Mr. X wants you to call and tell him where to go."

Boy, was I tempted. LOL

20. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

May 2, 2007

That is funny!!!!! :p I'm leaving for Disney World on Friday.....I don't have time to be grouchy!;)

21. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

May 2, 2007

I'm so glad I'm not the only one. My kids are just fighting with each other like brothers and sisters. They were arguing and stealing each other's markers. I took them away for now until they stop arguiing over materials. Then they started arguing over scissors today.... during a time when they didn't even need scissors! Oh my goodness! I'm like, do you really want me to take away the scissors too? We'll just sit here and do worksheets all day long??? I didn't think so! Right now it's hard because it's DIBELS, Project Read, and DRA time, so there is a lot of testing to do. They need to work independently and work quietly. HA.

22. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 2, 2007

I am grouchy at work and bummed at home. I HATE yardbird duty in the morning. I pass the time face to face with another teacher looking over each other's shoulders so we can talk BUT without eye contact it keeps use from going completely insane!
    At home, it's supper, wife watching boring girly things on tv and then to bed (for her) by 8:00. After that, it's me, the dog and the computer. Boring. but the quiet time is worth it.

23. grade1teacher

grade1teacher Companion

May 2, 2007

Can I come?

24. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

May 2, 2007

Sure........in fact ALL you grouchies are welcome to join me! :):love:

25. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

May 2, 2007

Kinderkids, you are so lucky!! I was there in the beginning of April...but i'll go back in a heart beat!!

Going to go pack!

26. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

May 2, 2007

YAY!!!! The more the merrier!:love:

27. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

May 2, 2007

We have about 50% grouchy rate. All the really dedicated, professional teachers are fine. The ones who have decided they're not coming back next year (or who have been informed they're not coming back) are the grouchy ones. All they can see is the last day, and nothing between now & then matters to them. Unfortunately, it's the grouchy half who are spreading negative vibes all over the positive half, and it's highly contagious. Wish I knew what to do, too!

28. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 2, 2007

ok what does "I gotta fever and the only prescription is more cowbell! mean??"

29. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

May 2, 2007

It comes from my favorite Saturday Night Live skit......my avatar is from that skit....it is Will Ferrell playing the cowbell. If you are interested check this:

cowbell

30. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

May 2, 2007

LOL I was just thinking that you guys should have had to deal with our literacy coach and the two idiots that have been team leads this year. Want to talk about a year from HADES this has been it. The literacy coach can't take it when you ask a question (because he is the head idiot and doesn't know how to answer anything) and the two team leads have known for months that they are leaving and going to other schools so it's been a wonderful year in the neighborhood. Thank goodness my ESL endorsement came through. At least that part came out right. 17 more days and I won't have to see some of them again except at county meetings, we have field day tomorrow, class luau on the 22nd and Awards on the 25th. Hopefully most of the kids will be absent the last day. I have tried to maintain a positive outlook in all of this but I have to agree. I have a WONDERFUL group of kids but since we finished the state mandated testing the 3rd week of April they have lost their minds. Totally.

31. Commartsy

Commartsy Companion

May 3, 2007

We had a super nasty ice storm this year that kept us out a week, so we're here until June 7! :eek:

We have a ferocious eighth grade this year, and it has been the sixth grade teachers' duty to do cafeteria guard work (since all the parent volunteers have been run off). That's enough to make one grumpy.

Also, since the state test, my sixth graders have basically quit. I am a smidge grumpy about that, but I'm a bit of an entertainer, so I'm still managing to get a bit out of them.

I don't feel grumpy toward the rest of the teachers, but (as I've mentioned earlier) I'm REALLY grumpy toward parents. I have not noticed a difference between dedicated and non-dedicated teachers and their levels of grumpiness. :D

32. childcare teach

childcare teach Comrade

May 3, 2007

IT MUST BE GOING AROUND . HERE THE CHILDREN ARE GRUCHY TOO.MUST BE SPRING FEVER. WE ARE ALSO FULL. WE HAVE NOT BEEN THIS FULL IN A LONG TIME.

33. Yen

Yen Rookie

May 3, 2007

Well the 8th graders are ready to get through their promotion. I'm ready to be done as well so I can go to a homeroom class next year.
    I think with teachers who know they aren't coming back next year (whether they are transferring schools or going to a different district) and the weather being in the 90s already, people are just grumpy.

34. childcare teach

childcare teach Comrade

May 3, 2007

I THINK IT IS IN THE AIR. IT ALSO DEPENDS ON THE DAY . THE CHILDREN SEEM TO FEED OFF EACH OTHER.

35. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 3, 2007

Coming into this late...I'm not grouchy, but can I still come to the HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH!! I could be Happier!!!;)

36. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 3, 2007

The VP came through today to make sure teachers were still teaching (state test over, etc) I was. :angel::cool:

37. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 3, 2007

I am still teaching, in fact pushing them more than ever. But it is the adults around who are just on edge! I have been bad. I have been gossiping! Guess I had better stop. I appreciate everyone I work with so much, but they are grouchy and making me want to be alone!

38. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

May 3, 2007

I am sooooo feeling your pain bonneb. Swear that today I could have slapped some of my teammates (I use that term VERY loosely). We had field day today and 6 of the crew were totally *******. Lets just put it this way... not a nice word. They stayed huddled together, talking and gossiping. They didn't even watch their kids most of the time. I tried to help the poor lady who was subbing for one of our teachers since she didn't know 1/2 of the kids that she was subbing for. The team leads (whose job it was to help her) didn't even ask her if she needed anything. She said neither one asked her how it was going, did she need any help or anything. That's par for the course for them though. Oh well only 16 more days with them thank goodness.

39. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 3, 2007

I decided to rip my room apart today and the kids helped. It was fun! One of the kids was sleeping and my co-worker helped me move him so we could move a shelf! We were laughing so hard because he never woke up! I turned my room upside down and that in itself is refreshing!

40. MissBanger

MissBanger Rookie

May 3, 2007

We had a field trip today that took the ENTIRE day!!! Monday starts state testing. We've been reviewing all this past week but their little minds have been thinking all about the field trip today and not state testing next week.... I do NOT blame them! :)

So we'll see how testing goes!! But I'm just ready for the summer!

41. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

May 3, 2007

Am planning on doing that tomorrow Grammy since my kids don't have specials and they need a "job" or they get "antsy". I have so many books that need to be sorted out since I am moving rooms (NO MORE MOBILE UNIT, YEAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!) I will leave some of them for one of the new hires since she will not have hardly anything (she's fresh out of school). I have had several more parents want to know how they can get their child into my room when I move to third grade next year. If this keeps up I will have 40 students since most of mine are going to go with me. My goal is by this weekend to have everything but the bare essentials out of my room for the next 15 days. I also want to try and get the kids familiar with a few of the activities (math games and such) that we are going to be doing next year.