Grr!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Beth2004, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 16, 2005

I have a child at work that does not celebrate Thanksgiving. I have had this child in the afterschool program for about 5 years now and every year he puts up a stink about how the Pilgrims were evil, etc, etc... Mind you, this child is not Native American. I respect his family's beliefs and have never tried to persuade him otherwise, but it always causes such a ruckus when he announces these things to the other kids whenever I try to do Thanksgiving activities. That's his personality, though....he loves to stir up trouble. Like I said, I've been dealing with this for quite some time and fully expected this behavior again this year. However, yesterday took the cake! His mother came into our room when she was picking him up (he's not in my group anymore!) to ask me if we are going to be open next Friday. I told her no, and she said, "Why?" I said, "Because it's the day after Thanksgiving." She said, "I can't believe this." My assistant said, "It's ok. Just use the time to spend with your son." She said, "Yeah right. I was hoping I was going to be able to sleep." I called her a few choice names in my head and then my assistant said, "Use the day to rest your food from the day before." She said, "We don't celebrate Thanksgiving." my assistant said, "No? Why not?" :):sigh:: Why did he have to ask?) She said, "Oh, come on, you're not stupid." The little boy said, "We don't celebrate people's deaths." and the mother said, "That's the day of the massacre. Don't tell me you didn't know that." I'm thinking "Are you kidding me?!" and my assistant said, "Oh." and they left. Well, now I've got a room full of 6, 7, and 8 year olds asking me what she was talking about. I just told them that different people believe and celebrate different things and luckily they dropped it. I was just so aggrivated at the whole situation! I mean, the day of the massacre? Did they eat and then kill everyone? Come on! GRRR!
    I realize that terrible things happened to Native Americans (they were killed, had their land taken, etc..) which is why I never said anything about their beliefs, but it's the ignorance that kills me.

3. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 16, 2005

well, doesn't this woman have anything to be Thankful for??????? Come on, it really is a day to say thanks for our blessings, no matter WHAT you believe!!!! I hate when history is taken out of context!

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 16, 2005

With the way this woman talks you would think she had nothing to be thankful for.

5. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 16, 2005

I'm not sure what to say. I've heard of people throwing a fit over Christmas in school, but Thanksgiving?

6. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 16, 2005

Do you know what religion she is, if any? Sounds very weird if you ask me. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and such, but come on...we all celebrate Thanksgiving to be thankful for what we have. Good grief. There is always one crazy pill in the bunch isn't there?

This reminds me of last weeks episode of Trading Spouses. Did anyone see that? OMGoodness! This woman was an extremist when it came to her religion. Don't get me wrong...I am a Christian through and through, but this lady was phsyco!!! She's one of those believers that act like they are possessed by the devil. UGH! She got mad because they sent a non-Christian to her home...come on! What did she think she'd get?!?! This other woman wasn't a Christian, but she was so nice to the psycho lady's family. She did some hypnotizing new age stuff, which I don't agree with, but she wasn't judgemental towards the other family at all and really flew with it. Not this other lady...she was crazy. She saw a gargoyle (sp?) at the house when she arrived and she started throwing up. It was just all really creepy and crazy. The non-christian lady was more normal and loving than the other one. It's always those ones that give all us non-crazy Christians a bad reputation. UGH!

7. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 16, 2005

Jen I didn't see that one, but I did see the one with the vegetarian. I ended up making my mom watch because it was so funny and a little off. I've actually never heard of someone staring at the sun for a meal.

8. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 16, 2005

OMG! I missed that one! What a bunch of nutcases they get on that show. The lady starred at the sun for a meal?!? What was she trying to accomplish actually? How weird.

9. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 16, 2005

Well, both Christmas and Thanksgiving are recognized Federal Holidays. If they want to change acknowledgement of such, then I suggest they petition their congressmen.

10. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 16, 2005

I also close the day after Thanksgiving as well. And I took a personal day the following Monday. None of which my families argued over since they know I work my tush off and deserve it!

Beth, maybe you should tell her what kinder just said. Maybe then she'll stop yapping about it:).

11. Lizalou222

Lizalou222 Rookie

Nov 16, 2005

I had a student in my 1st grade class last year who was a Jehovah's Witness. I've also had Hari Krishna's in my class. None of them celebrated Thanksgiving. No biggie. I expressed to my JW's parents that I would be talking about the history and celebration of Thanksgiving, and that was fine. She did not do any crafts or anything pertaining to the holiday, and I respected that, but we had a great time looking into the myth vs. reality of the first "true" Thanksgivings...it was pretty cool.

BTW, she also did not celebrate birthdays. I never made a big deal about birthdays in the class, but the children did make a "Birthday" book for the child celebrating. She would make a page of appreciation for that child...things that she liked about them, kwim? That worked out great, too.

Off topic slightly...but my children and I are vegetarians...dad is not. When my older two were younger, it used to horrify me when we would be at a restaurant and they would SHOUT out, "EWWWWW! That guy is EATING a poor dead COW!!!!!" LOL I swear, I do try to teach them to respect other people's way of life! rofl

12. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 16, 2005

My aunt is a vegetarian. I learned to love spinach lasaugna from her. This lady on the show was...interesting.

13. Lizalou222

Lizalou222 Rookie

Nov 16, 2005

LOL, well, I've never stared at the sun to eat! rofl

14. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 16, 2005

Miss W, you have to explain this sun thing further. I have some seriously weird mental pictures in my head.

15. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Nov 16, 2005

This lady's cells must include chlorophyll, for sure...:D

16. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 16, 2005

Wouldn't you go blind if you stared at the sun???

17. Lizalou222

Lizalou222 Rookie

Nov 16, 2005

Lol

18. jellybean92180

jellybean92180 Rookie

Nov 16, 2005

was she looking to God, or actually staring into the sun? was she wearing sunglasses?
    sheesh, some people are nuts!

19. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 16, 2005

Right - just because you teach about other people's way of life, it doesn't mean that you are promoting it. Why can't parents appreciate a teacher who is trying to provide valuable learning experiences for their children?

20. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 16, 2005

She would stare straight at the sun for 15 minutes, without any eye protection. She says that the vitiman D from the sun fills her up. The mother that traded places with her had to do it every morning for breakfast.

21. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 16, 2005

OMGoodness! Nuts...just plain nuts! Did this woman live in a commune (sp?) by any chance?

22. smileyd

smileyd Comrade

Nov 16, 2005

In England students in all grades learn about different religions, maybe this parent should have this pointed out to her at some point? In England they believe that knowledge of other cultures enriches the students lives.

23. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Nov 16, 2005

I have a student who does not celebrate any holidays but yesterday he told me he is celebrating Christmas with his dad...interesting
    But he told a little girl today something about Santa. She asked me if Santa was magical and he said no he isn't I couldn't believe it I was afraid he wasn't going to tell her he wasn't real. I said we would talk about it later and everyone forgot about it.

24. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Nov 16, 2005

Well, I don't remember ever believing, when a child, that Santa was magical. But Christmas wasn't focused on Santa. Depending on the child development, he may not believe in the fantasy, but nevertheless should know that Santa was a good priest that became a Saint due to his kindness, particularly toward children.

25. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 16, 2005

I always tell my kids the story of St. Nicholas. It tells them how Santa really started........without going into too much detail of if Santa really exists or not. I think they should hear the historical perspective of it as Carmen said!

26. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 16, 2005

Then you'll have parents complaining about bringing religion into the classroom. You just can't please everyone!

27. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Nov 16, 2005

Yes I agree Kinderkids but that is their parents doing not mine.

28. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 16, 2005

These people don't practice any religion. I have also had Jahovah's Witnesses who don't celebrate anything ( also are not allowed to watch movies, perform in concerts, etc..) but this is not the case in this woman's situation. She is just very confused about the history and is passing this onto her children.

29. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 16, 2005

Do you mean to telling them about st. Nickolas should be the parents doing and not the teachers? Or are you speaking about the child in your class who doesn't celebrate Christmas?

30. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Nov 16, 2005

I mean teaching the students about St. Nicholas that is up to their parents and what they want them to believe.

31. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 16, 2005

Oh, I see what y ou are saying.:) But St. Nicholas is an historical figure......not really anything you believe in or not. He was known for his generosity, love for children , and helping those in need. It could be approached more as a character ed lesson during this time of year, not necessarily religious or santa claus based. Just my opinion, for what it's worth, which probably isn't much!! LOL!!!

32. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 16, 2005

You don't have to celebrate the holiday to BE TAUGHT that this is an important part of AMERICAN HISTORY..........

33. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 16, 2005

Amen! :)

That's what bothers me so much about this mother. She is teaching her children something that is false. Whether she wants them to celebrate or not, they should at least be taught the truth. No one can tell these kids otherwise either because, of course, they believe everything their mother tells them.

34. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 16, 2005

That would drive me nuts!

35. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 16, 2005

I was ready to flip!! It took everything I had to keep my mouth shut. I just keep reminding myself that I only have a week left there and then I won't have to deal with this woman or her son anymore!

36. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 16, 2005

LOL one more week one more week......

37. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 16, 2005

It's been keeping me in a good mood. lol

38. ATH

ATH New Member

Nov 16, 2005

I think that you may not entirely respect their belief. As teachers we will come across many people with differing views. Our job is not to supply people with a view point but with knowledge so that the children may form their own educated opinions. It is the same when it comes to science and religion. The topic of evolution is a touchy one. We can only offer a scientific view as written in books and must listen to other beliefs. PLease allow others to share their opinion even if you may not agree. Inform the other children of this parents view point and do not close them off from forming their own opinion just because you are scared they may stray from yours.

39. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 16, 2005

Well that is a good thing.

Hey I don't have to work next Wednesday. I have made up the 6.5 I would work this week!
    I wish only had to work half a day on Tuesday.

40. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 16, 2005

I"m not scared that anyone will stray from my opinion at all. I feel that people are allowed to celebrate or not celebrate whatever they choose, but to lie about a historical event is a different story.

41. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator