Growing my classroom library

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by meglucy, Oct 20, 2011.

1. meglucy

meglucy Companion

Oct 20, 2011

I'm on a mission to grow my classroom library. This is my second year teaching primary and I have what I think is a pretty good start, but my students are absolutely thirsty for more books. I can't keep up.

I want to level everything using Scholastic's book wizard (has anyone done that?). Right now the books are just grouped into three basic levels.

Any ideas for acquiring a lot of good-quality books ... fast! I go to thrift shops and garage sales, which has worked well so far. I've asked parents to donate, but haven't received any yet. We don't get a classroom budget, so everything has been out of my pocket so far. I send out Scholastic orders but only one or two kids buy from it.

Would love any ideas y'all have for growing a classroom library. Thanks!

3. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Oct 20, 2011

Apply for a grant on donorschoose.org and pick out the books you want from one of their vendors. People will donate money to the cause so you don't have to spend money out-of-pocket.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 20, 2011

Put up a nice letter up in the teacher's lounge asking for book donations. I did that when I moved up to fifth grade and received boxes and boxes of books

5. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 20, 2011

Wouldn't it be great to find a bookstore that gives the books away for free? Actually, there is! The public libraries have been the greatest thing in increasing my "classroom library". Despite having a classroom library of 100's of books that I own, they are not nearly as checked out as the dozens I get at the 4 libraries in my area. This way I can get the best books each year for my students. I can also keep them a long time by renewing them. I simply put a piece of masking tape on the back and number the books. I then type into the computer what the book is. I only visit the library 3-4 times a year as I can renew them so many times. The kids absolutely love it and I probably only "lose" 1 or 2 books a year. Usually the parent of the child helps pay, if not--the 1 book a year is so much cheaper than buying lots of books with my own money that will be worn out within a few years.

I would start small with this idea and gradually increase it when you get comfortable with it. With the money you save you'll have so many other things that you'll be able to spend $$ on in your classroom.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 20, 2011

Scholastic has gotten a lot of my money in the past. I still spend a hundred dollars on books every year, but I spent thirty to forty every month for many years. I now have more books than I can use.

Be careful though. Buying books can become addictive!

I have books that are in my leveled library and books sorted by topic for lessons.

7. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Oct 20, 2011

My library has a special area where you can buy used books- paperbacks are 10 cents and hard cover are a whopping 25 cents. The inventory is hit or miss, but there have been many times that I have walked out of there with 30 or 40 great children's books for only a few books. I don't know if all libraries do this, but it's worth asking. I also donate books to my library when I'm going through my classroom supply if there are no other teachers in the building that want them.

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 20, 2011

I don't think the quality is fantastic, but I just bought 4 sets of books off Amazon for not all that much money. They are for the lowest readers. They are cute, and have funny endings.

First Little Readers, Level A (25 books) 12.23 each
    First Little Readers, Level B (25 books)
    First Little Readers, Level C (25 books)
    These are full color, and the kids really do like them...

Little Leveled Readers, Levels A-D (60 books) 24.95
    These are black and white, but the stories are very cute

http://www.amazon.com/Scholastic-Le...DRGE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319172485&sr=8-1

I was looking for QUANTITY because the kids reading at that level need SO many books....

So, about $60 I got 135 books! That's 44 cents a piece!

The good thing is they are all pattern books.... so once the kids know some sight words they can read them and use picture cues. All of my students have enjoyed them, but they do get tired of them quickly. They need exposure to books with amazing illustrations and whatnot too, of course!

9. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Oct 21, 2011

Most of my books have come from library book sales. My local library has a monthly sale of withdrawn books. They sell them for $5.00/bag. So, I bring my largest cloth shopping bag, fill it to the brim with hardcover books and pay a meager $5.00 for great, library bound books.

You can't beat that!

10. meglucy

meglucy Companion

Oct 21, 2011

Thanks so much for these great suggestions, everyone. I've been meaning to ask my principal about donors choose. And I forgot that I used to check out library books. I'm always a little nervous about it, but I like that idea to number them with masking tape.
    Thanks again!

11. teacher mom

teacher mom Rookie

Oct 21, 2011

I just purchased 100 novels for $100 for my daughter's seventh grade English teacher (it is also her second year). I bought the books (free shipping) from a group of retired teachers that go around and buy books to resale. They were great! I told them the grade level of books I was looking for and they sent me a terrific selection.
    Seller: blazikan4u
    Store: Member has an eBay Store Blazikan's Books 4U

Check out their auctions or e-mail them.

12. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Oct 22, 2011

Off to the library for another book sale!

Happy shopping!

13. themilocat

themilocat Rookie

Oct 25, 2011

Search for book fairs in your area. Every year, I go to the St. Louis (Missouri) book fair and there are THOUSANDS of gently used books for sale. Each book is usually $.50 for a paperback, and $1.00 for a hardback, and sometimes even less for kids books. When I check out and tell them I'm a teacher, I usually get a discount.

Also, I buy a lot of books through Scholastic's book orders and bonus points. In September, I received 2000 bonus points because of the total of the order I submitted. I just shopped with the bonus points and ended up with over 60 books! Most of the books I ordered were sets- like the Percy Jackson series and the Geronimo Stilton series.

14. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 25, 2011

I found some great deals on Craig's list and eBay. I bought someone's entire Magic Treehouse collection for dirt cheap off of Craig's List.

15. Kittycat13

Kittycat13 Rookie

Nov 1, 2011

I have gone to my local library and they have book sales going on all the time. for like 50 cents you can get a hard covered book. It is wonderful!

16. teacher mom

teacher mom Rookie

Nov 2, 2011

I just remembered that scholastic has warehouse sales from time to time. I hear the prices are terrific. I don't know if you have a scholastic warehouse near you but it is worth looking into.:)