Growing despondent

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Missy99, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2010

Despite good experience, glowing recommendations, and friends helping me out, it is starting to look like I will not be teaching this fall.

Meanwhile, someone I know with NO experience got hired.

I don't want to have this attitude because I have an interview tomorrow, but everything else has fallen by the wayside.

I am so depressed.

3. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Jun 28, 2010

You never know! I'd resigned myself to subbing last year and got hired out of the blue (seriously, I hadn't heard from the school in over 2 months!) 11 days before school started.

What part of TX are you in?

4. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jun 28, 2010

I was having some not to nice feelings last night. My cousin graduated last year in SpEd and had her pick of jobs...literally! She lasted two months total before walking out on the job and got really bad feedback about her attitude and classroom management from her P. Fast forward to this year....she's not lifted a finger to find a job and is already under contract despite bad attitude and has flat out said she is only going back to teaching becuase she needs to financially. It really burned me up to know so many of us here are bending over backwards and searching daily because we honestly desire to teach. Makes no sense I guess.

Hoping good news will come soon though...things are picking up here job posting wise as schools know what they are going to need.

5. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2010

It's just a short-term pity party. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

I am having a bad day early on in the game. Last summer I was busy planning for the upcoming year, and now I am busy feeling like I am beating my head against a brick wall.

I'm in Houston. Times are tough here and in the surrounding districts.

6. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2010

That's just it -- my friend with no experience who got hired is only in it for the money.

No one warned me how easy it would be to get hooked on teaching! :)

7. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2010

We all need a pity party every once in a while. Allow yoursel, then get back to the grind. Good luck!

8. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2010

Thanks, skittleroo.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2010

Pity Parties are good for the soul. As long as they don't become a way of life, they're healthy.

Now, tell me why I, the principal of the school you're interviewing with tomorrow, should hire you instead of that wonderful Aliceacc they've heard about.

10. tgtbtj

tgtbtj Companion

Jun 28, 2010

I know you must feel totally discouraged. But honestly it's ok to feel like that. Just like Aliceacc said, just don't let it become a daily thing. You just have to pick yourself up and trust that there are better days to come! Know that you have what it takes and that doors off opportunity are opening all around you, you just have to keep yourself open to see them. Keep positive and focus all you have on that interview tomorrow!

11. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2010

Okay P Alice, here is part of my cover letter:

I have enjoyed working in both self-contained and team environments, teaching a diverse group of students to master the skills required for their present and future success. Diversity has taught me to utilize differentiation in every lesson in order to ensure all students have an equal opportunity to learn and grow. My philosophy is that every child is capable of having a successful academic career. As a teacher, it is my responsibility to lead that child to the right learning path.
    As well as differentiation, I have found that a focus on reading and reading strategies that work across the disciplines, from math to language arts to social studies to science, is important to a child’s education. It is the foundation from which all other learning can be planted and flourish, and which opens up the world to the student.

One of my greatest strengths includes my communication skills, whether communicating with students, their parents, or with colleagues and administration. My other strengths include flexibility, dependability and the desire to continually improve my skills as a teacher.

Now, reasons you should hire me (besides my excellent TAKS scores):

I am dedicated to providing quality instruction to my students in a classroom that may reflect a diverse set of learning styles. Small group and centers are two ways I accomplish this goal.

I am focused on student-driven strategies to determine what activities best impart the materials to my students. I am willing to do whatever it takes to ensure each child has a positive, successful learning experience. Differentiation is the rule, not the exception.

I am proficient in involving, motivating and leading the students to achieve educational goals.

I am a team player who works well with colleagues at all levels, including in curriculum planning and development, grade-level policy-making, and decisions regarding classroom and management of our department.

Strong interpersonal skills have allowed me to develop and enjoy positive relationships with students, their parents and colleagues alike.

I work daily on self-improvement as a teacher, honing my teaching skills by modeling the actions and advice of veteran master teachers and attending educational seminars and college courses that focus on best-practice teaching methods in order to best serve my students.

My competencies include classroom discipline and management, student evaluation, guided reading, lesson-plan development, and flexibility.

What else should I add?

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2010

Nope.

No cover letter lingo, no buzzwords.

What makes you a better candidate than me?? (OK, aside from the fact that I live in NY, teach high school math, and really reallly don't want to teach elementary school in Texas :) ??)

Simple words-- what makes YOU the person they're looking for??? You ARE, and we both know it.

Now just tell me why :)

13. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2010

Okay.

At the age of 50, I turned my back on one career and focused on doing what I had to do to become a teacher.

Once I was in the classroom, I continued to learn as much as possible in order to best serve my students. I focused on differentiation, and on learning all I could about working with SPED and dyslexic students so I could best serve EVERYONE in my classroom.

By educating myself, I was able to help guide iffy and failing students to pass their TAKS exams (with more than a third commended).

In other words, I am the candidate who will go that extra mile and reinvent myself, if that is what it takes, to ensure every child in my class is successful, each and every year. Everything I do, I do for my students.

I don't know how to say it more simply or without buzzwords. Help?

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2010

That's perfect!!!!

Now say it over and over again, out loud. Change the phrasing each time you do so. You don't want it to sound canned, but the ideas are exactly right!!

Tomorrow, find a way to work those ideas in to the interview!!!

15. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2010

Alice, if I can convince you, I can convince them. I will follow your advice to a T -- thanks!!!:hugs:

16. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jun 28, 2010

I'm so sorry. I know how you feel. It took me forever last year to get a job then my P chose not to renew my contract. I worked really hard and I know my students learned. Honestly, I know it was for the best--I didn't like the administration but I loved the teachers I worked with. I know I'll find a great school this year...I feel it!

Good luck tomorrow!!

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2010

Missy~I know what you mean...I've had days like this too. Just gotta pick yourself up off the ground and get back to the search.

18. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2010

Thanks, all, for helping rescue me from the dumps. Most of the time I am a very positive person. I guess I have taken this whole thing too personally. I am really going to follow Alice's advice. It may just turn things around.

19. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jun 28, 2010

Wow!! Love this. I can see the passion. Great job!!

20. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 29, 2010

Good luck today!!

21. demijasmom

demijasmom Companion

Jun 29, 2010

Good luck Missy99. 18ybugmom, I'm in the same boat your in. The school that I was hired in Sptember of 2009, decided not to renew my contract. I'm ok with that. I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. I was only meant to be there for a "season". I did not like the adminstration.

22. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2010

Thanks, Missy -- your positive vibes helped :)

And THANK YOU ALICE!!!

I followed your advice and made a slam-dunk at the interview (and the interviewer was the HR director herself!). She said I was in like Flynn with the district and could start scheduling interviews with principals.

As soon as I left and said "Woohoo!" in the parking lot, I called the AP who interviewed me at the job fair a few weeks ago to let him know I was approved.

"This is Missy99, and you probably don't remember me, but..." I started saying, and he interrupted me with "Of course I remember you! You were an applicant I was very impressed with."

:D

He is waiting until after the last date for resignations to call me in again, but at least it is something -- to have two positive feedbacks from potential employers in one day.

I hope this works out.

Thanks again to you all!!!

23. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Jun 29, 2010

Yay! That's great news! :2up:

24. cristin11

cristin11 Rookie

Jun 29, 2010

Congrats on your great interview!

25. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2010

Sounds really positive!

26. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2010

Sounds really good, Missy!! Good luck!

27. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2010

That is SUCH GREAT NEWS!!!

Here's hoping for swift good news!

Now contact every other principal in the district. Let them know you're cleared to schedule interviews, and ask whether by any chance they could do so. Maybe the school you WANT will get wind of it and call you even sooner!!!!