growing class

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissR, Jul 25, 2008.

1. MissR

MissR Comrade

Jul 25, 2008

This year our school went from 5 classrooms per grade to 4 and I just found out that within a few days I jumped from 22 students in my class to 25 and I'm afraid it won't stop! School doesn't start until the 6th. :eek:

3. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Jul 25, 2008

Don't get crazy yet. Don't forget children move and change schools over the summer.You might have a different register when school starts.The bigger question is what happened to all the teachers when your school cut back from 5 to 4 classses. Did teacher's lose their job?

4. MissR

MissR Comrade

Jul 25, 2008

There was actually only one teacher we didn't hire back. We have such ridiculous turnover that we even had to hire 4 teachers for this year. Each year we lose close to half our staff to babies or relocation or moving around the district. Our school is constantly enrolling and disenrolling, i'm just going to be mad if I get more kids because that would mean we probably should have stayed at 5 teachers but they aren't going to let us hire during the year.

5. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jul 25, 2008

I have 28 students so far and open enrollment won't start until the first week of August.

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 25, 2008

I had 30 on my roster for the first day last year - ended up with 24. I understand your anxiety though, I was even thinking where was I going to put all of them! It's funny how enrollment here changes in cycles, one year we are afraid we won't have enough kids and the next it's too many.

7. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jul 25, 2008

Think positively-hopefully they all won't come. We have started with high numbers before-but the worst is when they register on the first day of school and you have to make room for them and have nothing ready for them!

8. mrsw2

mrsw2 Rookie

Jul 25, 2008

Don't panic just yet! Last year I taught first grade and at registration I was set to have 27 students, but when school started I ended up with 24. Yes, it was a bit of a challenge to keep the room quiet all the time with that many students, but it worked out in the end. Good luck!