Groupon- Experiences with buying services?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by giraffe326, Mar 17, 2013.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Mar 17, 2013

I am hoping to put my house up for sale soon. (My personal deadline was February 2012. I've seem to have missed it a bit!) There are really only 2 'big' tasks to do. The carpet in my living room needs to be cleaned. The other rooms are fine. And my house needs to be power washed. I power washed my house a few years ago and it took ALL DAY. And I was so very sore.

Well, I was looking on Groupon. I can get carpet cleaning for 3 rooms for $49. It will cost me that to rent the machine and buy shampoo!!
    I can get my house power washed for $69. I'm pretty sure I paid more than that to rent the machine. (At least it was pretty darn close!)
    So, I'm thinking why in the world would I waste my time doing these things- that I'm not skilled at- when I can pay someone to do it for me for about the same cost!!!

I have researched both companies and they seem to have really good reviews. The power washing company has a great Facebook page with a ton of pictures and lots of positive comments.

Have any of you bought services through Groupon? What were your experiences like?

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 17, 2013

BF bought house cleaning. It wasn't very good. That's our only experience with house services though.

I've done the spa ones and travel ones, they were great.

4. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Mar 18, 2013

I agree. My son and his friends all bought a paintball day to play before going back to college, but were never able to schedule it. The phone was just busy all day long. I think they just weren't capable of handling all the business.

5. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Mar 19, 2013

I would call the business directly first. I am all about Groupon, the business may offer you that same deal if you go directly through them too, so you can have time to think about it rather than the pressure of 24 hours to buy (since groupon keeps half as their advertising fee)