Group/Table supplies

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by noreenk, Jul 28, 2009.

1. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 28, 2009

I can't figure out a good system for this with my fifth graders....

I like having colored plastic bins at each group of desks for communal supplies and to track behavior and call groups. However, I've always had issues with students stealing other kids' stuff, wasting post-its (especially to make flip books, grr), leaving trash inside, etc. How do you organize group supplies to avoid this? I work at a low SES school where very few students have/bring pencil boxes/pouches and supplies, but we get a lot of donations for crayons, glue and scissors.

The materials I'd like to keep inside the bins for groups to use are:
    Post-Its
    Stapler/Staples
    Scissors
    Correction Pens
    Glue
    Crayons/Markers/Colored Pencils
    Highlighters
    Index Cards
    Small pencil sharpeners

We use interactive notebooks daily so having many of the above supplies readily available is important, but I'm open to putting them in places other than table bins. Also, one year a group decided to put a plastic cup labeled trash inside their bin for pencil shavings and other small items. Does that sound practical for all?

Thanks in advance!

3. ArizonaTchr72

ArizonaTchr72 Companion

Jul 28, 2009

I have never tried table supplies but I could see how fifth graders could be destructive. Last year I gave each of my students one of the $.25 staplers from Staples inside a pencil box. Throughout the year I was constantly looking at staple "chains" and staples inside their desks. I won't be doing that again, even if the staplers were on sale again (which I doubt with the sales being the way they are.) I collect all pencils, red pens and pencil top erasers at the beginning of the year and resupply students when they need them. Students with art supplies keep them at their desks, but I have a couple of buckets of my own supplies that I will loan students who dont have supplies. I have never given students correction pens or post-its! You are brave!

4. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Jul 28, 2009

I put the bin of supplies at each group's desk and then a student is in charge of taping a brown bag to the side of a desk in their group. I expect all trash to be slid into the brown bag and then it's that same student's responsibility to throw away the bag at the end of class.

I use the Scoreboard system from WholeBrain Teaching and the class cannot get their points or they lose points if I look inside any random bin and there is trash or disorganization of the materials.

5. carrieSAtoUSA

carrieSAtoUSA Rookie

Jul 28, 2009

I like the fact that you make them responsible for what they have. If they have consequences, they will be more careful with their supplies. Great idea!

6. MissAmy

MissAmy Companion

Jul 30, 2009

I have partners in my classroom and our school did community supplies this year. I am thinking of having a bucket sort of thing at each pair of desks but I don't want it to be sitting on top the desks to get knocked over and there isn't much room in the desks. Anyone have any ideas of what I can use?

7. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 31, 2009

Target has little bins with three compartments and a handle for $2.50 in the dollar section; I've also seen them at JoAnn crafts and at Garden Ridge year-round for $3-5. You could keep them on top of desks, stick them underneath, or have a shelf for them.