Group Interview With Other Candidates - Help?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TeacherJ4life, May 17, 2008.

1. TeacherJ4life

TeacherJ4life Companion

May 17, 2008

Hey everyone,
    I've posted previously about my friend who went on an interview. Well, she got the call back and the last step is a group interview with the other possible candidates. Honestly, I've never heard of such a situation and was hoping someone on here could shed light upon this situation. The principal said bring a paper, pen and be ready to work in a group.
    Any help would be appreciated:thanks:

3. sadundercover

sadundercover Companion

May 17, 2008

I had one. Honestly, it was awful. Terrible. But, we were not told to bring anything but a resume and we were never told that it was a group interview. It was really bad because I found out that it was all staged-the jobs were filled before we got there and it was done as a way to make a paper trail.:( I cannot speak for other districts, but this was what was done here.

Mine was the first step.

It sounds like MAYBE they are going to be doing role-playing or trying to solve some situations that may come up. It sounds more like a class than an interview.:confused: Mine was NOT like this, it was questions thrown at us, we took turns answering the same questions-just a different order each time. It was really ridiculous.

The best advice I can give her is to not talk over the other candidates, not get stressed when you see how competitive some may be (they may go overboard-I saw that happen and it is not pretty). Also, listen to what everyone says and acknowledge their viewpoints.

This is probably a real job. I hope! Are these people competing for the same position or are they different ones? I am wondering if they just chose a few for each grade level and are choosing the final that way. It does not seem fair to me. In my case, we were all vying for the same job (we thought).

Tell her to go in there acting really confident, but not overly so, to relax and just listen to her group and not be afraid to share HER ideas in a reasonable (ie. not obnoxious way). I wish her lots of luck!

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

May 17, 2008

The group interview is often used to see if the candidate is a team player and to see how their personality type interacts with others.. They are looking to avoid two types of people-- the quiet wall-flower, and the she-who-must-be-in-charge, queen-of-the-world type.

You want to shine, but not come across as bossy. You want to be seen as a team player...someone who works and plays well with others... but not a doormat.

The best piece of advice I can give you is to totally be yourself. They are looking for a specific personality type -- but you have no way to know what type they are looking for. If you are a good fit, it will show up. If not, you've only lost the time you spent in the interview and few "hopes" that didn't come true. You wouldn't want the job if you wouldn't be a good fit, anyway. They are looking at the personalities they already have, and are trying to find a new personality that will mesh with the existing group.

I have worked for an organization that used group interviews quite a lot, and sometimes we were looking for strong leaders, sometimes we were looking for good followers, sometimes we were looking for peace-makers, and some times we were looking for rain-makers. These personality types become incredibly obvious in a group interview.

Sometimes we had current employees who were difficult to get along with, and we needed someone who wouldn't "rock the boat." Sometimes we had a team that didn't have a strong leader, and we were looking for a leader. Sometimes we had a team that had too many people trying to be the leader, and we just needed a good, hard worker, who wouldn't try to be the leader. Sometimes, we needed someone to come in and totally shake things up, who wouldn't be bothered by the fact that the rest of the team wouldn't like it.

Tell your friend to just be herself, and things will all fall into place for the right job (whether it is this one, or another one.)

5. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 17, 2008

This was posted a month ago...I'll try to find it.

6. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 17, 2008

7. Sheree

Sheree Companion

May 17, 2008

Okay, I just had one! Last month! Listen, it wasn't sooooooo bad! In fact, I made it to the next round. The important thing is not to be overly aggressive and to think your answers through! Don't worry about being the first to answer. As long as the district is organized, I think it is a great way to shine! Let me know if you have any other questions, I would love to help!:2up:

8. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 17, 2008

I was wondering how it went!

9. TeacherJ4life

TeacherJ4life Companion

May 21, 2008

She isn't competing per say, she has to work with the group on a topic the principal assigns. I think he is looking for how you collaborate and function as a team, what do you think?

10. Sheree

Sheree Companion

May 22, 2008

I agree TeacherJ4life. That should be interesting. Let me know how everything goes for your friend.

11. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 22, 2008

I dunno, this sounds like a cross between cooperative learning and The Bachelor/Bachelerotte! Why on earth would they have you competing against each other like that? I've been off work two weeks, and refuse to watch Jerry Springer, or Maury Povich..and that is all I can imagine in such an interview!

Team interviews yes, team candidates...no...have not seen that one!

The only justification I can see in this is if they were hiring a whole group of new teachers for new building, special ed, or team teaching. You want to see how nice, cooperative, innovating, and respecful I can be. :|

not when I haven't seen a check in two weeks! This will look more like a presidential debate..:unsure:

my 2cents :2cents:

12. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 22, 2008

While I don't think a job may necessarily come from a group interview, it can't hurt to go. She'll be getting the interviewing experience that we all need in life and may actually hear of some really good answers to questions that she can use later on.

My one suggestion for her is to make great eye contact with everybody in the group. I personally try to always look at a person as a sign of respect and that I really care about what's going on. And that's something I focused on doing while interviewing as well.

Wish her luck :)

13. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 22, 2008

ditto... I might have left off my public service announcement...

that I have been out of work, and unusually crabby...

and particularly suspicious of everything... :(

14. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

May 23, 2008

OP, please let us know what your friend thought of the interview. Has she had it yet?

15. TeacherJ4life

TeacherJ4life Companion

May 23, 2008

She went on the interview today and she felt it went really nicely. As a team, they had to create a thematic unit and present it to the committee.
    Keeping my fingers crossed for her:2up: