group goals and rewards

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by natenatmom, Jun 9, 2006.

1. natenatmom

natenatmom Rookie

Jun 9, 2006

I need some words of advice. Next year I'm planning a baseball theme for my room and am planning to have each of my cooperative learning groups give their team a name and design their own pennant. I am toying with the idea of tying homework completion to Fun Friday time using a baseball diamond to keep track (they move to a base every day homework is turned in to earn 5 minutes of Friday time). Would it be fair to set it up as a group competition where the entire team earns time if everyone on the team turns in homework? On one hand, I feel that a little bit of peer encouragement and team competition would increase homework completion but on the other hand, I don't know if it's right to have some students losing free time because someone on their team didn't turn it in. Opinions?

3. HannahB2

HannahB2 Companion

Jun 9, 2006

It would be very fair. All students will probably complete the work to make their teammates happy. I used that system last year. When we spelled the phrase C-A-K-E on the board I would bake them a cake & bring it in Friday. If someone didn't do homework I would erase the whole word.

Let me know what you decide.
    =] Hannah