Gross! Cat has worms :(

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, May 14, 2009.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 14, 2009

Eww...

For the last few days I've been seeing what looks like sesame seeds on my bed and couch. I couldn't figure out what was going on, but honestly, I didn't think much about it. Last night when my cat jumped off my lap I found a teeny, tiny worm on my leg.

Ran to google.

Turns out she has tape worms. :( I flipped her on her back to peek around...ahem...her goodies and also saw a single flea (of course there's more, I'm sure.) :dizzy: She's an indoor cat, not sure how she could have gotten fleas AND worms.

Turns out those sesame seeds are actually tiny worm segments. They fall off and dry up :crosseyed. I'm so grossed out!! My cat sleeps with me (actually, on me most of the time, she's a total affectionate sweetheart.) My poor girl slept locked in the bathroom :(

I frantically washed all my bed sheets and slept on the couch. Luckily tape worms are an easy fix, just a few over-the-counter pills, but unfortunately the closest pet store in town is 40 mins away.

3. Securis

Securis Cohort

May 14, 2009

I play music on long drives. I hope the cat gets well soon.

Any plans to have yourself checked? You should, just to be sure.

4. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

May 14, 2009

Is a little gross but not a big deal....I got the liquid instead of pills. Dumped it on the cats food (treated them both even though only one had it) and did it again a few days later...then again a week later just to be sure. No sign of them again since! I think he picked them up when I took him to the vet and he stayed overnight for getting fixed.

5. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 14, 2009

you can get the worms too from not washing your hands...or eating a flea...
    ick

yes...typical tape worm...really easy to fix...
    look like little grains of rice when they come out...really gross...those are the segments being released...

6. HP_Bug

HP_Bug Rookie

May 14, 2009

I have an indoor/outdoor cat who gets worms on a regular basis because they can also get it from eating an animal who has it. He hunts at night and so it's about once a month that I have to treat him for worms. Have you tried Frontline for flea protection? Fleas are the most common way for indoor cats to get worms, so I would look into getting a flea/tick medicine.