Grooming Guidelines?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Erin.ma, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Erin.ma

Erin.ma Guest

Apr 7, 2020

Hi,
    I'm a student, finishing my last year of college this May. I hope to have a job at a Catholic High School soon.
    But, during this COVID-19 lockdown I have the irge to shave half my head (like a side shave). I think it would look really cool.
    But my question is, would this go against dresscode/guidelines at a school? I feel like it would and would make me unhireable until it grows out. Anyone working in a catholic school (or public) able to give me a little help?

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Apr 7, 2020

Erin.ma,

I worked for 10 years at a Catholic school. In my opinion, you would suffer from unspoken discrimination if you did this, and it would make getting hired all but impossible. Catholic schools are notoriously conservative. Even the "liberal" ones are conservative.

We had an "unwritten" dress code at my Catholic school:
    • no unnatural hair color (no pinks, purples, streaks, etc.,)
    • no unusal hair styles. Simple and conservative was the rule-of-the-day,
    • no visible tattoos of any kind,
    • only women could have pierced ears and then only one hole per ear,
    • no body piercings (other than one earring per ear for women,)
    • simple jewelry (usually crosses,) earrings were usually posts or very small dangles (not large dangles or big earrings,)
    • women had to wear very modest tops (absolutely no clevage could show, nothing low cut at all,)
    • no leggings unless it was a dress down day and you were wearing a oversized top which covered your hips and backside,
    • no clingy clothes or super sheer clothes,
    • very minimal make-up,
    • no super short skirts or dresses, etc.
    • For men, they were expected to wear polo shirts of casual days and a dress shirt and tie on Mass days.
    • We were never allowed to wear jeans (even on dress down days) but that isn't typical.
    • No open toe shoes, no sandals, no sneakers (except for the PE teacher.) No super high heels. Men were supposed to wear dress shoes, rather than dock shoes or boat shoes, or more casual shoes, and they were supposed to wear socks, but that rule was often broken.
    The only dress code rule that was consistently broken at my school by the ladies was that we weren't supposed to wear open-toed shoes or sandals, and woman did that all the time. Our principal simply couldn't enforce it, so we ended up having to sign a form saying we realized that we couldn't hold the school responsible for foot or toe injuries if we chose to ignore the rule. (I never broke it because I wear orthopedic shoes, but most of the women wore sandals regardless.)

Basically, look over the student dress code and know that everything that is written there applies to teachers as well, plus some.

Erin.ma likes this.
  4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Apr 7, 2020

Erin,

Whether it is a Catholic school or any type of school, I'd hold off on the head shaving. Interviewers don't know you, so they often judge (often unconsciously) by what they see. While your hair style doesn't change who you are, it does change how a stranger sees you. That is why it is estimated the interview is 56% over before the questions even begin. I am not saying this is fair, but I spent a lot of time studying how to get hired in an interview. First impressions on how you dress, how you are groomed, your smile, and your body language count for a lot. Once you are a teacher for a year, they count for very little as they already know you. Then if it doesn't break the handbook, you can go wild with the hair.

Erin.ma likes this.
  5. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Apr 7, 2020

I would hold off on the haircut. If you want to do something crazy, temporary crazy dye color that can be dyed over if it doesn't totally fade out. If you're extra cautious, just the bottom so you can cut it if need be.

Appearances make way more impact in interviews than they should, but there's not much to be done from this end. It's not just Catholic schools either. There was a guy in my college cohort who got booted from his original student teaching placement because of the purple streak in his hair, which was temporary, and he had full intent to have his natural color by the time the internship started. That was a semi-rural public school.

Where I teach now, it'd be frowned upon, but allowed. There's no rule against "extreme" hairstyles for the kids, so there's not one for us. Several of my students have had cuts like the one you describe, including the school receptionist's daughter. Nonetheless, unless you're an art or music teacher and thus allowed your "artistic whims", administration would not be happy.

6. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Apr 7, 2020

My school, not Catholic, would not be okay with it.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 8, 2020

My school, a rural public school in a conservative area, wouldn’t think anything about it. I’d start looking at requirements at schools where you would be interested in teaching.

8. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Apr 8, 2020

I think individual admin opinions matter a lot too. My school’s admin is extremely conservative.

9. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Apr 8, 2020

You have the absolute right to do anything you want if it brings you joy and harms no one, but everything you do in life brings some sort of consequence. Why limit opportunities at the start over a hair cut that you know is extreme?

otterpop likes this.
  10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 8, 2020

At this point, I'm guessing there won't be any interviews anywhere until schools begin opening. That gives you time to let it grow out if you cut it now.

otterpop likes this.
  11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 8, 2020

Would you consider investing in a wig for when you're being professional and your lovely head when you're being you?

vickilyn likes this.
  12. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2020

May I suggest using an experienced beautician to experiment, safely and conservatively, with some undercut styles? They are very much less visually jarring than what you are talking about, but still on the edgy side. Undercut that isn't extreme can grow out to a not noticeable length in a relatively short period of time. What you are currently considering will be very noticeable for quite a while. A version of what you are suggesting sometimes works with relatively short hair, because the differences in lengths are not super extreme. This is the kind of hair change that should be done in small steps, not giant leaps. My mom was a beautician, and she would almost refuse these extreme changes - many times the women broke down in tears after the fact. She let her common sense lead them to smaller changes at one time.

13. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Apr 8, 2020

Where I work, you could shave half your head, AND get a tattoo of a pentagram on the side of your skull.

It might cause you a disadvantage in the hiring process, however, unless you had a lot of other tattoos and piercings go along with it.

Our dean of students consistently wears ripped black jeans and t-shirts of bands who's music usually comes with "parental advisory" warnings. She's also one of the best administrators I've every worked with. Our principal sometimes carries a skateboard (his own, not confiscated). He is also one of the best admins I ever worked with.

I'm still amazed I showed up to the interview in a suit and tie and they hired me.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  14. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Apr 8, 2020

What about teachers who were transgender or non-binary?

15. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2020

You are talking about the wrong kind of school district to apply to if those refer to you or if you are going to be open about those choices - Catholic schools wouldn't, according to a friend who has worked at a couple, want to know nothing about such choices.

16. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Apr 8, 2020

Just around here, it would not be accepted. I don't see anything wrong w/ doing whatever you want to your hair, but attitudes of some would make it impossible for you to get a job here w/ your head 1/2 shaved. I guess it depends on the area you live and attitudes of the admin.

17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 14, 2020

I would hold off on any dramatic changes until after you're hired and have a feel for the culture of the school. Things might seem "cool" but not be "professional". You want to present yourself as professional as possible and you really don't know what they consider professional or not until you get to know who your'e working for.

18. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Apr 14, 2020

OP, One more thing to consider. Most likely, lots of schools are really going to be hurting for money and won't be doing as much hiring. I wouldn't make it any more challenging than it will be to get a teaching job.