Grocery Shopping

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, May 5, 2011.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

May 5, 2011

If you love grocery shopping, how have you made it an enjoyable experience? I usually go at night now when it isn't as crowded so I can take my time to look at products since our TJs is a tiny store that is often crowded during the day.

I haven't gotten into cooking from recipes unless it's every now and then so I usually buy the same kinds of meat to heat up and serve with sides like salad and rice or one of the many made TJs meals where you just heat and serve. Sometimes I shop with a list and sometimes I browse. With all the nutritional info going through my mind "no that's not healthy, but it tastes good" I allow myself to buy a few treats but since I take the time to read the labels as I'm choosing something it makes me feel a little stressed because it makes the time in the store longer and I wish I could make choices faster when I'm thinking through those thoughts ("not healthy, but I want it, no put it back :lol:").

So how do you make grocery shopping enjoyable if you like to shop without feeling deprived of treats that you know you'd love but you know are not healthy for you either!?

Also, do you think shopping with headphones is impersonal looking? I love listening to music and maybe that would help me feel less stress while being the grocery store since I love listening to music in the car or at home to relax.

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 5, 2011

I hate grocery shopping! But, one way to make it less painful is to have a list. I make a menu for the week, so I know exactly what I need to get, and for the most part, I stick to that.

Try for natural if you want to be more careful about what you are putting in your body. Other than that, all I can say is I dread going to the grocery store every week.

4. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

May 5, 2011

I don't mind going grocery shopping. My 9 year old daughter and I go together every Sunday at around 9 or 9:30 if we're a bit slow in the morning. I always write a list and I make my list by category. I use a large index card and make a row each for produce, Nature's Market (we're vegetarians so always have several items from this section), fridge, freezer, bread, shelves and household goods. Either I drive the cart and my daughter crosses stuff off or she drives and I cross off. I love the help and she loves being helpful at something that doesn't feel like a chore to her.

As far as the treats, I let myself get two items not on the list that we get just cause they look yummy. That's in addition to ice cream which is almost always on the list.

Are you familiar with the web site Hungry Girl? Well, she give the tip of following the 80/20 rule which I think is pretty reasonable. For the calories/food you consume in a day, 80% should be good for you and 20% is just cause you want it. I keep that in mind when I want something junky.

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 5, 2011

I do the same. My problem is coming up with different things to fix.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 5, 2011

I hate grocery shopping, too. My problem is that I don't cook (I hate touching raw meat, and I don't know how to cook). So, I always end up with many things for breakfast, lunch, and snacks. I never buy anything for dinner, because I don't know what to buy!

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 5, 2011

I love to cook. Shopping can be a chore. When my meals get boring--I pull out the crock pot. You can throw some meat in it, add some seasoning, and you have a meal.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 5, 2011

Same here and I have a problem sticking to it because I get tired during the week and end up letting my husband make something (read: junk meal but made by someone that is not me).

9. nontradguy

nontradguy Rookie

May 5, 2011

I shop at TJ's quite often with headphones. I don't think it's weird at all. :)

I really try to enjoy grocery shopping, but sometimes I have to remind myself that frozen dinners...and desserts... aren't always the best choice. hehe.

10. Securis

Securis Cohort

May 5, 2011

Shopping, not a fan. Eating, big fan. So I go. However, this month my budget for the rest of the month is $50. So it looks like staples only. I can stand to loose a few lbs anyways.

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 5, 2011

The funny thing is I'm sitting at a community center using a computer because I'm avoiding going to the next parking lot over to grocery shop.

12. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

May 5, 2011

I like to shop, but not to cook. That makes it kind of hard!

13. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 5, 2011

So, you can take over the shopping for me and MsMar, and we'll cook for you. :D

14. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

May 5, 2011

That'll work!! :)

15. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 5, 2011

Since I am retired Grocery Shopping is my time to get out of the house. When I go I try to hit a Lowes or a Home Depot along with a Walmart or Costco Because of my bad knee I have to ride in an electric cart. I get a lot of people watching in.

Today I went to Costco picked up odds and ends. I got a box of milk (2 gallons of skim milk) everything went great till I got home I dropped the **** 2 gallons of skim milk on my foot (my good leg, so I could not hop up and down as is the custom when dropping something weighting about 20lb on ones foot) one gal broke and I had 1/2 a gallon of milk all over my kitchen floor, I had to wash out the old gal bottle from my last milk (it had gone sour) and I poured the remaining 1/2 gal into it. I had to use a bath towel to soak up the milk. Then I had to do a wash so the milky towel didn't stink up the place.
    All this while my restroom was "calling me." and the whole while DeeOhGee (my dog) looked at me like "what the heck are you doing oh mighty master?"

[​IMG]

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 6, 2011

I don't mind grocery shopping & don't always view it as a chore to do as quickly as possible. I like tkg my time & browsing most of the time. I don't listen to music while walking around, but do whatevr floats your boat! My TJ's is crowded a lot too.

It depends on the str I shop at too. I enjoy Ralph's, TJs, Henry's Marketplace, my local Asian grocery str, & Albertson's more than Stater Bros. So I like the more calmer surrounding, upscale strs. I really, really wish I had a Gelson's &/or Bristol Farms in my area. They're the fancy, gourmet strs! I've only been in a Bristol Farms once in a very nice shopping mall in San Fransisco & it was great & it wasn't even the full-sized str.

17. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 6, 2011

I go grocery shopping at 7:00 on Sunday morning when it's empty and everything was just restocked. It's fabulous.

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 6, 2011

I like grocery shopping in general but I hate standing in line. I usually go to the self checkouts but it always seems that the people ahead of me don't know how to use it so it takes forever. I will usually read a magazine from the rack to pass the time. The store that I usually go to has music playing over the speakers so I don't feel the need to wear headphones or anything.

19. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

May 6, 2011

I let my husband do it.

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 6, 2011

I'm usually at grocery stores during the 2 or 3 o'clock hr, so it's not that crowded yet. I like the self-checkouts when I don't have a lot of items of course, but I can't do it when I have produce to weigh.

21. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

May 6, 2011

I enjoy both cooking and grocery shopping. I always plan my trips pretty extensively, though. My tips are:

1. Always have a list with items written in the order you want to put them in your cart.

2. Check out the sales papers to see what's on sale BEFORE you go. It will help you make your list, and you'll save a lot of money.

3. Go shopping more than once a week--it seems counter-intuitive, but I've enjoyed going twice a week because my cart isn't as full and I'm less likely to FORGET something when I have fewer things to remember. Also, the meat is fresher.

4. In the summer, I go to the regular grocery store once a week but get my produce from a local farmer's market--it's a much more pleasant shopping experience.

It usually takes me about half an hour to get everything I need and get to the checkout.

22. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 6, 2011

If you love grocery shopping, how have you made it an enjoyable experience?
    I don't love grocery shopping because I don't like getting out and about much, but I don't dread it either. I always go very late at night or in the early morning hours (two in the morning). Otherwise, I get very frustrated.

So how do you make grocery shopping enjoyable if you like to shop without feeling deprived of treats that you know you'd love but you know are not healthy for you either!?
    I don't often deprive myself of good stuff (meaning bad for you stuff), but I continually strive to replace a few bad decisions every now and then with good ones. Point is, I'm probably not the best to answer this. Times when I've been on a serious diet I would get sad, and I mean truly sad and down, at the checkout lane.

Also, do you think shopping with headphones is impersonal looking?
    I wouldn't do it because I like to be aware in public—not really for safety, just...I don't know, I just wouldn't feel comfortable with headphones on. I feel claustrophobic when my ears are covered, so maybe that's also why.

23. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 6, 2011

I stick to it. Mostly because when my son was younger he would get upset if something was scheduled and we didn't have it. So, if I didn't cook something, I would just skip it. Those nights that I don't cook, it's because something has come up and we've ended up grabbing fast (junk) food. Now that he's older it's not such a problem, but it helped us to stick to the plan.

I also look at the calendar and think about what's going on. If I know that I have to work late or I know that's it's going to be a busy day at work, I'll plan something easy (think crockpot or spag. or grill).

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 6, 2011

;)

25. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 6, 2011

LMBO on the social event comment. I just met a new friend at the grocery store.

26. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 6, 2011

Same here! I must stick to it unless something major happens (we run out of tortillas and don't feel like going back to the store yet, so I skip the tacos for that night and swap with another night). My daughter gets so upset, especially if she was looking forward to what we are having that night.

27. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

May 6, 2011

I like to groc. shop (used to be the primary one in my first marriage)
    Now I do it half the time. The wife uses a coupon site to match the deals at Publix with our coupons. Got some great deals tonite with cereal and other stuff. Back in the day (70s) my local
    store Albertsons DOUBLED all coupons. I got quite a few things almost for free back then.

28. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

May 6, 2011

We stocked up last night so it feels nice to have that done before the weekend! I think I will start that as a new habit so we can focus more on "fun" on the weekend so it truly feels different from the rest of the week (of course there will always be chores) =)

29. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

May 6, 2011

Grocery shopping can be stressful to me because we have differences in getting something because we want it vs. the price is "too much" so it seems we're always making these decisions when we sop together. I don't want to overspend either and disregard money but since I choose most things on sale/"good deal" then I don't mind getting something else that may be a little more than what my husband thinks it should cost because I know I'll eat it!

30. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 7, 2011

Just got back from the grocery (3:15 a.m.). It was quite peaceful despite being a big weekend—The Kentucky Derby and Mother's Day. To me, going in the middle of the night is the only way to have stress-free shopping.

31. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

May 7, 2011

I don't love grocery shopping but it's ok. It's enjoyable because my husband and I do it together. We help each other pick out good things and remind the other of something we might need. We talk about our days, etc. That makes it really enjoyable for me. :)

32. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 7, 2011

I don't mind grocery shopping--it's paying for the groceries that is the problem!

33. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 7, 2011

Wow. Can't imagine dragging myself out at 3:15 in the morning for ANYTHING...least of all groceries! Does your store stay open 24/7?

34. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 7, 2011

I'm a night owl for sure. I have to get groceries in another county, but yes, it stays open all hours.

35. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 7, 2011

JustMe, be safe when you go out at 3:15 in the morning....OK??... :)

36. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 7, 2011

The grocery store in my town is open 6am to 11pm. I have gone shopping as early as 6:30 just to beat the crowds. There is one 24 hour store but its not in a good area so I don't go there once it gets dark.

37. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 7, 2011

I often find myself shopping at random hours of night. There are several 24 hour stores near me, and if I'm awake I may as well be productive.

38. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 7, 2011

How late are you all staying up? I'm in my jams most nights by 10. My schedule during the work week is exhausting..( teaching plus 10-12 hours of tutoring) so weeknights after tutoring are dinner, exercise bike and a little grading while watching the Telly...weekend we might go out to dinner or the movies, but still stopping for groceries on the way home is so not on my agenda...

39. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 7, 2011

On nights that I'm home, I'm in my jammies by 7p.m., maybe a little later. When I come home later, after class, or if I had a meeting for one of my kids, it's jammies as soon as I walk in the door.

40. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 7, 2011

I love shopping at the wee hours of the night all the weirdos are out (Walmart).

You haven't lived until you have seen a flamboyant transvestite shopping at Walmart.
    A redneck with an "I'm with stupid" T-shirt on, shopping alone.
    A lady who's backside is as big as a house wearing sweats that say "Hot chick" on the bottom.
    Or Colored Spiked Hair "kids" who when you look at them they say,"What are you looking at?"

41. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 7, 2011

During the week I would love to be in bed by ten, but that never happens. Twelve or one is more typical. I just can't seem to sleep before then on most nights. It's actually something I'm working on because I think getting more sleep during the week would be healthier. On the weekends I'm consistently up until until two, three, or even four, but I have no desire to change that. :)

And Major, thank you for the concern. While I realize anything can and does happen anywhere, I live in a safe area...but I still check my backseat when getting in. :)