Grocery Shopping

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Feb 12, 2011.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Feb 12, 2011

How often do you go? (Especially if you eat almost all your meals at home!)

Do you buy based on recipes or mainly get premade meals like from TJs where you just heat and serve?

If you cook using mainly recipes, do you make enough for leftovers for a few days? my husband seems to only like leftovers that come from a restaurant like pizza or ethnic food, etc so I cook something different every night.

It seems like we go through our food really fast and there's only 2 of us. I go to the store once a week and make something every night. I want to get into the habit of using recipes but if I'm going into all that effort i want him to eat leftovers so I can have a night off !! :)

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2011

I try to go to the store once a week, but sometimes I only make it once every 2 weeks. I try to keep some prepared foods from TJ's on hand so I only have to heat them up when I come home late or wiped out, so it saves us on eating out, which I hate to do.

I also use my crock pot a LOT. It's the best. Put everything in there in the morning and food is ready when I get home. I love my crock pot.

As far as leftovers go, we don't usually have them around for another meal. One of us will eat it for breakfast the next day or my dh will take it for lunch or something like that. Leftovers don't last long in our house.

How about your dh making dinner one or two nights a week? My dh makes dinner on the nights I don't get home until 6:30 (2 nights a week) and it's been lovely.

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 12, 2011

I plan to go shopping once a week. I buy basics. I always have the same food in the freezer, and keep it stocked up. When there are sales, I buy.

The only thing I would have to purchase is milk and bread. We could also live out of our freezer for a long time.

I cook a meal each night. I find ways to use leftovers in "new" dishes. If I cook a chicken, we have burritoes or BBQed chicken the next day. I make a lot of soup from leftovers. Almost any meat can be ground, add mayo, and you have meat for a sandwich.

I also use my crock pot a lot. In fact, I have two, and sometimes they both are going. I did spend a lot of time looking up some new, tastey recipes. I like Pioneer Woman, and A Year of Crock Pot cooking. Other A/Zers had some great recipes.

5. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2011

I've heard the Pioneer Woman has some excellent recipies. I've never tried any though.

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 12, 2011

I try to go only once a week, but I have three boys that could eat their way through a 1,000,000 acre farm in a matter of hours, so I generally go for milk, bread and produce at least 2 times beyond my "major" shopping on Sundays.

As for cooking, I either use the crock pot, or have things prepped for the boys to cook dinner. Leftovers simply do not exist (refer back to those three pre-teen boys). I have to cook every night.

7. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Feb 12, 2011

One thing that has helped here is when I make a casserole on Sunday for early-in-the-week nights. It is nice because people can scoop some out and heat it up whenever they get home and are starving. I have about 4 main casseroles that my family loves. Easy to have salad all ready to go or veggies that cook in the microwave. I don't do it every week but it is very helpful when I do.

8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 12, 2011

I'm single, so I only shop once every 2 weeks. 1 casserole can last me days!!

9. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Feb 12, 2011

I shop every Sunday morning. I plan out 5-6 meals to buy for and know that some of them will have leftovers for another night or for lunches at school. Both dh and I are fine eating leftovers, and my kids actually like leftovers for breakfast.

My new thing for the past 5-7 weeks or so is to try one new recipe each week. The deal with my kids is that have to have a small portion of it and then they can fix themselves something else if it's not to their liking.

10. gigi

gigi Groupie

Feb 12, 2011

I grocery shop every week, and try to keep the basic staples in the house, meat, veggies, etc. I cook every night and left overs are taken for lunches, both DH and I take one to work.

11. CanukTeach

CanukTeach Companion

Feb 12, 2011

I shop once/w.

One thing that is HUGE in terms of ensuring food lasts is the type of receipes one chooses. Use recipes that rely on basic ingredients. Don't use 'fancy' recipes that constant require you to buy new ingredients.

We definately use leftovers - but probably mostly on lunches.

12. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Feb 12, 2011

I shop once a week and we plan out our meals that we will have before I/we go food shopping.
    I have used the premade meals from TJ's. I will also try to make a meal where we can have leftovers.

13. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 12, 2011

Yes, I love Pioneer Woman, but she does use a lot of cheese and high fat foods.

14. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 13, 2011

I also try to freezer cook. So, once a month I'll do a big shop and plan out some meals. Then I freeze all my meals into lunch size portions for myself. I am set for weeks for school lunches. (Remember, it's just for myself - I'm not cooking for a family!)

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 13, 2011

I do my major grocery shopping on Saturday mornings. I am usually back at the store at least twice more during the week for milk and fresh produce, both of which seem to evaporate from my fridge.

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 13, 2011

I go at least 3 times a week. The grocery store isn't too far away from my house so I don't mind stopping by after work. On the weekend I go to one of 3 grocery stores that are further away to get things that are on sale or that I can not find at the other store.

17. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Feb 13, 2011

I shop once a week. I really really don't like to cook, but try to make myself cook at least 4 nights per week. My husband and I both like left-overs ( my daughters didn't, but they are off at college), so that helps for a meal. We have breakfast for dinner one night a week. We go out, or pick up non-fast food, one night per week.

18. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 13, 2011

I go shopping once a week. I find that fruits and veggies start to go bad if I try to keep them a second week. I'm trying to eat more fresh foods.

19. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Feb 13, 2011

I go shopping once a week as well. Sunday is my grocery/cooking day. After I come home from the store, I cook (or at least prep) for all my meals for the week.

20. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Feb 13, 2011

Miss Celia, those green bags for veggies really do work and keep your fruits and veggies fresh for a much longer time!

21. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 13, 2011

I really don't eat them fast enough. I forget about them after a couple of days. So, I do better buying for a week at a time. Otherwise I just throw them away.

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 13, 2011

I don't mind grocery shopping, but I try to only go maybe every couple of weeks. If I can get enough food to last longer, even better. Plus, I like getting takeout sometimes. (But, I'm not married w/ kids yet.)