Grocery Bill

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by dizzykates, Mar 28, 2008.

1. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Mar 28, 2008

I love grocery shopping and I know most of you would disagree with me, but I find it enjoyable. I am wondering, what does your average grocery bill look like? How much does it vary? What do you buy and do you use coupons? I am also wondering what you have done to beat the cost of groceries getting more expensive.

I buy groceries for just the two of us and spend about $70 a week. I usually use about $15 worth of coupons that I get from the paper. We also don't buy much garbage food, mostly fresh fruit and veggies and dairy. We bought meat at a meat market in a large package and I get chicken when it's two for one.

Just curious about how this works for everyone else...Thanks!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2008

It varies depending on what's needed. Most of the time, it's between $90-$100/week for the 3 of us. But sometimes I stop in during the week to pick up just a couple of items. I haven't been using coupons, but will probably start due to higher prices. We've stopped buying brand name things on most items since the generic is much cheaper. We also use our plus card to save some $$.

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 28, 2008

I would have to add up my recipes but I am guess for the two of us we spend between 400 to 500 a month.

5. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Mar 28, 2008

We spend around $100-$140 every other week for my bf and me. I try to buy organic items so our bill is more. I take a trip to Sam's Club every other month or so to get frozen chicken breasts and other misc. items. I don't use coupons. I should. But we don't get a newspaper. I do buy a lot of things on sale though.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2008

For the 4 of us (including 2 active teengers) between $150 and $180 a week. I shop sales, and usually always have a well-stocked freezer and pantry. Coupons aren't as prevelant here as they are in the U.S.

7. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Mar 28, 2008

I spend about $160 a week for 4 (me, my bf, his brother, and their friend).
    Having 3 twenty-something boys in the house makes groceries very expensive.

Last fall, I was spending about $120 a week at one store. Now I go to 3 stores (to get the best prices), shop the sales, buy the meat that's on special instead of what I want, clip coupons, and it's still gone up about $40 a week.

I do buy some organic. Mostly for fruits and veggies, and I buy all natural beef.

8. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Mar 28, 2008

Starting next week, it's going to cost even more.
    My bf's brother moved out today. Only problem is, he paid 1/4 of the grocery bill, but he ate out just about every meal. So I'm not going to have to buy much less, and we're going to have to split it 3 ways. Eek.

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 28, 2008

We use coupons a lot. We really use them when the item is on sale & then the coupon on top of that!!! Hubby usually does the shopping & is pretty good at price checking. We don't do a lot of name brand items either.

We do make trips to Sam's Club as well.

10. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Mar 28, 2008

I spend around $140-$160 a week. My husband is a big eater and loves leftovers for lunch so I cook for 6 when we only have 4. My sons are 4 & 18mths, so I am still buying diapers and we drink lots of milk(4-5 gallons a week). I was really good about coupons last year, but around the holidays, I fell off the wagon. I am trying to get back on because I was knocking off at least $10 off my bill. I also, do Sam's Club once a month, but don't go to another store the week I shop there. I don't even want to think about how expensive it will be when my boys get bigger. If they are anything like their father :eek:.

11. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Mar 28, 2008

My husband is retired from the Air Force. We get the majority of our groceries from the commissary. The prices on the shelves are the actual cost of the items to the commissary. When we check out, we are charged a 4% surcharge - to cover the cost of running the commissary. I usually have enough coupons to cover that surcharge. (With three carts of stuff, we do have to tip the bagger - about $5 or so.)

We get food at the commissary - and a lot of other items, such as vitamins, shampoo, soap, my contact lense solutions, cleaning supplies, paper towels, toilet paper, detergent, light bulbs, etc.

The commissary is a longer drive from out house. So, we go to the local Kroger store when we need things like milk and bread. Also, I watch their sale ads and buy what's on sale there.

12. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Mar 28, 2008

I spend around $120 a week for the 5 of us. That includes packing lunches esch day. I do most of my shopping at a grocery outlet. Its so much cheaper that when I go to a chain store I go into shock looking at their prices.

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 28, 2008

We're boring, repetitive people - this list is pretty much what we choose from.

Grocery:
    lots of milk
    dozens of eggs
    Cocoa Roos cereal (me)
    bran cereal (him)
    chocolate Pop-Tarts (me)
    white bread (me)
    wheat bread (him)
    crackers
    tomato soup
    Slim-Fast (me)
    Lean Cuisine four cheese pizza (me)
    bean & cheese burritos
    Taco Bell mild sauce (me)
    Taco Bell hot sauce (him)
    cheese slices
    pasta (various shapes)
    tomato sauce
    lots of skinless, boneless chicken strips
    Velveeta shell macaroni (him)
    cheap powder cheese macaroni (me, yum!)
    Rice-a-Roni Brocoli & Cheese
    mashed potatoes / baked potatoes
    ingredients for double-chocolate oatmeal cookies
    ingredients for chili
    ingredients for lasagna
    ingredients for cheesy "Mexican" chicken & rice casserole (except there is really nothing Mexican about it but the Taco Bell seasoning powder)
    Chef-Boyardee cheese pizza kit / mozzarella cheese
    biscuits, usually frozen Pillsbury
    chips

More "Him" Only Items
    honey
    apple butter
    bananas
    healthy fruit juices

Then, on the "General Merchandise" side of Wal-Mart:
    Pantene Moisturizing Shampoo & Conditioner
    "lady products"
    Dove Pink soap
    Dove baby power deodorant
    Old Spice sport deodorant
    Gillette shaving gel
    razor replacement cartridges
    Plax
    Colgate Total toothpaste
    minty floss
    Oral-B Triumph brush heads
    Contact lense solution (him - getting Lasik surgery later this year - yay!)
    mascara (other skin care/makeup from Philosophy & Bare Minerals)
    vitamins, wide variety (him)
    vitamins, gummies! (me)
    Advil
    Cheer powder detergent
    Clorox bleach
    fabric softener, varies in brand
    Vivid
    Flooring cleaning solution
    Dusting spray
    Febreeze
    Toilet cleaner, etc.
    Charmin toilet paper
    Bounty Select-a-Size paper towels
    Printer paper
    "light" office supplies

Well, that was interesting....okay, not really. :rolleyes:

Sure, we just might get wild and crazy and purchase something not on the list...but for the most part this is it. We go to Wal-Mart once every three weeks or so, and then to the local grocery to restock eggs, milk, bread, and anything we might need spur of the moment. I probably use ten coupons a year, but I want to change that a get a system going.

14. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Mar 28, 2008

15. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Mar 28, 2008

I spend about $150 every 2 weeks for 5-6 (DH, 3 teenagers plus at least 1 friend per meal). This includes eveyrthing from meat to fruits and vegs to general merchandise. We do not use any paper products like paper towels or paper plates or cups. I shop at walmart and a small produce stand.

16. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 28, 2008

Will you come help me shop?

17. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 28, 2008

I spend about $200/week for me, my 3 boys, my uncle and my grandmother. I do cut coupons and shop sales and anything else I can do to save money, but my 6 year old DS is diabetic, and feeding him can get quite costly since I have to be super careful about everything from fruit to crackers and everything in between.

18. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Mar 28, 2008

Has anyone seen Jon & Kate plus 8. She says she can shop for 8 each week for $115 dollars. And she buys organic. I want to know what the secret is.

19. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 28, 2008

Well my DH does our grocery shopping. He has a spreadsheet that he uses, don't freak out, it is just a half sheet of paper. We look for sales and use very few coupons. We buy what is a good deal. The reason we use very few coupons is because we don't buy a lot of things that have coupons and we buy a lot of store brands. This past week the bill was $75 and it was 153 before the "reward card" and coupons. This is for both of us and my two boys ages 12 and 9. The week before we spent $115. This does not include running back to the store for something which easily adds another $40 throughout the week.

Anyway, between gas and food we spend $950 a month. How sad is that??

20. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 28, 2008

No but I heard about it. Is it a reality show or what? What channel is it on?

21. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Mar 28, 2008

It's on TLC. I love that show!

22. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Mar 28, 2008

It is a reality show about a couple who have a set of 7yr old twins and a set of 4yr. old sextuplets(?6kids).

23. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Mar 28, 2008

:D my step dad owns a grocery outlet here in Tucson.

http://www.groceryoutlets.com/Locations.aspx?loc_Store=164

I do like to shop there but its pretty far for us to go and there is no way to get refrigerated or frozen stuff since its so hot here there might be spoiled. But love the canned stuff and snacks.

We spend over $200 for 6 of us plus the cat. DH buys the phone card and all paper products and cleaning supplies. We make lunch at home and I pack DH's for him. We try to use as many coupons as we can.

24. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Mar 28, 2008

Sure but you would have to move to Louisiana because I do not like snow!!

25. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Mar 28, 2008

Look at the FAQs on her website--she admits that that show was sort of misleading because that is what she spends at that one particular store but she shops at several stores every week.

26. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 28, 2008

I used to approach my grocery shopping like a science when I was a stay at home mom. Now that I'm a working mom I approach it like it is valuable time to myself. So my senses are filled and my imagination lights up. I shop at Super Walmart so of course I buy other stuff. My average is $125-140 for a family of 5. I do not use coupons anymore. I used to do the spreadsheet and coupon bit. Now I pay attention to what I'm paying so I will know a good deal when I see one rather than relying on the "sale" sign.

27. janlee

janlee Devotee

Mar 28, 2008

If you are spending only $50 - $70 a week and buying organic you are a very good shopper. Does this amount include breakfast, lunch, and dinner for each of you each day? I shop for 2, use my price club card, am a faithful coupon user, and buy items on sale. I do not buy generic brands. I spend approximately $100 per week and that includes breakfast at home for both of us and I pack lunches, too. We do very little eating out.

28. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 28, 2008

For two of us, I guess I spend about $70 a week. We eat breakfast and lunch at work, so it really helps. I usually make a crock pot full of soup that we eat for a couple of days, maybe with grilled cheese or another sandwich. I buy a big roast or maybe a ham and we eat that for several days, in different ways;as a big meal or warm it and eat it on good bread/buns and have a steamed vegetable with it, potato salad.
    Our basic weekly list might look like this:
    eggs
    bread(whole grain)
    bacon
    shredded cheese
    various juices
    fresh produce of all kinds
    cereal
    milk
    chicken
    pork or beef roast
    ground beef
    ice cream as needed
    paper products
    cat food/litter
    7-up(my weakness)
    That's about it.
    I don't use coupons, just shop sales and basics.
    All our meat is bought from local butcher shops(not Wal Mart usually)
    We rarely eat out.

29. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Mar 29, 2008

I drive to a store about 25 miles away once a month...I spend about $150 there and get a month load of can goods, freezer items, and frozen lunches for me. We butcher our show swine, so I always have pork available. And once a year we butcher a show steer and take half and a friend takes half. I spend about 1500 a year on butchering, but you can't beat the meat. Plus I know what they are fed and how they are taken care of.
    The beef lasts for almost a whole year. The last month we eat a lot of roasts. My hubby hates roast, so it is the last thing I cook.

I spend about $25 a week on bread, milk, eggs, and fresh vegetables. During the summer I do the farmers market.

30. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 29, 2008

Usually 150 every two weeks for us

31. bakingdiva

bakingdiva Companion

Mar 29, 2008

I usually spend about 90-100 a week for the 3 of us. If you are trying to eat healthy, it seems to cost more.. darn it! My DH and DD drink about 2 gallons of milk each a week (eww) and we pack out lunches. I try to buy a brisket or a large cut of meat so we can eat for a couple of days.

32. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 29, 2008

It does cost more. My grocery bill went up by about 50% when DS#2 was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes and I had to alter the diets for everybody in the household. If he can't eat it, it doesn't come in the house.

33. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Mar 29, 2008

I shop mostly at Trader Joe's and will spend 60-75 dollars every other week for myself. I buy frozen foods, canned and dry goods there.

I go to Whole Foods once a week or so and buy a whole roasted chicken which I use entirely over the course of a week. I don't like to cook meat very much and that is the only meat I eat aside from fish. I buy my fresh fruits and veggies there as well. I also buy my shampoos, soaps and things at whole foods. If they have something I like I will get it at TJ's because it's cheaper, especially if it's the same brand. My trip to WF is usually 20 dollars a week, with the chicken and anything else I may pick up.

I buy my toilet paper from the regular grocery store b/c the recycled stuff isn't soft enough. I also buy anything "regular" I want at the grocery store like lean cuisine's, and stuff like that if it's on sale. I also buy diet coke there. My weekly trip will usually less than $20, for a 12 pack coke, TP, cleaning supplies, sponges, laundry detergent, etc. I don't buy that stuff every week even, so often it's just the diet coke and lean cuisines or weight watchers desserts, 100 calorie packs of junky foods! That is normally $10 or less!

I try to mostly buy organic so my bill is a little more. There are some things I don't buy the natural product of, like laundry soap, because it hasn't worked as well for me.

I guess it's about 45-55 a week between the three stores. That's just for ME!

34. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Mar 29, 2008

I am thinking from reading other posts that one of the reasons that my grocery bill is low is because I do not but any milk. I have 2 kids that cannot have excessive amounts of milk and the allergist said that the amount in the food thay eat is probably the maximum amount that they should have daily and a 3rd who will only drink chocolate milk which is way more expensive than I am going to pay for milk. She is in college and stops every morning on the way to school to get a small bottle of chocolate milk and pays for it herself. I use powered milk to cook with because we would use so little milk and it would go bad before we could use it. The kids drank soy milk as children but hate it now so they take calcium supplements. Is there anyone else who does not buy milk?

35. jenngugs

jenngugs Companion

Mar 29, 2008

I currently spend about $120 every two weeks on 2 people. Usually, at the end of the first week, I have to run back to the store to re-stock milk, lunch meat, and a few fresh veggies- about another $30. This is using no coupons and keeping a conscious eye out for sales and generic items.

I just signed up for this website - "The Grocery Game" after getting hooked reading the incredible savings stories on the message boards. Because gas costs so much money now, I'm determined to cut coupons and try to grow most of my own produce this summer. I'm pretty hopeful to get the grocery bill down to $45/week for two.

36. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Mar 29, 2008

I don't eat any dairy, and it does save money. I buy cartons of soy milk on sale, regular and chocolate, and keep them in the cupboard. Once in awhile I will use one. They last awhile and don't need to be refrigerated until they are open, so I buy them on sale. Even soy milk I only drink once in awhile. I buy OJ with calcium and take supplements.

37. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 29, 2008

I only wish...the amount I spend every week on milk, cheese and yogurt is staggering--at least I know it's good for them.

38. 1gdteach

1gdteach Companion

Mar 29, 2008

I just went Grocery Shopping and it was $185, that is for 4 of us and that is once a week.

39. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 29, 2008

Why so much, Jaime???:eek:

40. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 29, 2008

I have no idea. I guess because we buy a lot of fruits and veggies. I also, have to buy a lot of organic because Steve is allergic to MSG. But I guess it's not that much a week about 100 to 125 a week which is 50 to 75 a person a week. I did better last year living on my own. But I didn't eat very healthy.

41. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Mar 29, 2008

It really depends on the week. It's usually about $50 for just me. I'm on Weight Watchers, and try to buy lots of fruits and veggies. I also go through lots of ziploc baggies to portion out everything. I've gotten in the bad habbit of picking up new point friendly treats to try. However, lately I've been spending more like $60, and I grocery shop at WalMart, so there is always impluse buys in other departments! I do far better at Kroger, but it is farther away. I guess we really do pay for convience!