Gripping pencils

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by DizneeTeachR, Aug 17, 2009.

1. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2009

Is there a grip that you like to use to help the preschoolers get the correct grip on their pencils & crayons?

Do you use the chunky pencils & crayons to help with this as well?

Thanks for your help.

3. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Aug 17, 2009

I place the pencil on the table so the point hangs off the end. (the point is facing the child) Then the child pinches it to pick it up, and I push it backwards. Then they are holding it the right way. I saw the best pencil helper at Lakeshore. It was three little finger holders with a hole in the middle for the pencil. You push the pencil through the hole, then the child sticks his or her fingers into the thimble-like finger placers. But it was $1.79, so I didn't get any. But if you have a child who really has a hard time, it looks like the best thing on the market.

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2009

I saw that same gripper you're talking about...they had them here 2 for $3.99!!!

I have done the hanging off the table thing...it works for a little bit & then the grip is gone.

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2009

There are also large triangular shaped pencils which help, as well.

An occupational therapist recommended golf pencils (the little short ones) because she felt the length of pencils is hard for children to control.

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2009

I really like the triangle pencils, but I have a hard time finding them. I did get some triangle grips. The little one I'm working with has the finger & thumb usually correct, but then gets thrown off for the "support" finger... I hope that makes sense.

7. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Aug 17, 2009

We use broken crayons for writing at the beginning of the year because with small pencils, chalk or crayons the children, almost always, will hold the writing utensil correctly. Towards the end of the year we move them on to regular pencils. Broken crayons and chalk on a chalk board also help those who write very lightly. It helps them to learn pressure.

8. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Aug 17, 2009

9. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Aug 17, 2009

I just read an article about using broken pieces of chalk and crayons for the children to get the correct grip. I'm fascinated by this and can't wait to try it!!

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2009

I will try that....

11. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Aug 17, 2009

I use Handwriting Without Tears Flip Crayons. They are half the size of a regular crayon with a different color on each end.

I also use Handwriting Without Tears pencils. They are the size of a golf pencil, but with an eraser. My husband says they don't make golf pencils with erasers because golfers cheat. :lol: The golf pencils are way cheaper at Walmart.

Also, when I have children with real grip problems, I use golf whiffle balls. They have holes in them. I slide the ball on a golf pencil and the child uses a palmar grasp to hold it. The balls are available at Walmart.

For those of you looking for triangle pencils, the 99 cent stores has them on occasion. I purchased boxes of 12 for 99 cents. Some were 100 Day pencils others were Welcome to My Class pencils. Keep an eye out. :thumb:

I find that with the smaller pencils and crayons the children are more apt to use an appropriate grip.

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2009

Thanks Dzenna. I had gotten some of those triangle pencils years ago. Then when I was teaching I found some black ones & gave them out for Halloween!!! The students LOVED them.

Thanks to all of you.... I'm loving all the ideas...

13. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Aug 18, 2009

I use markers in the beginning (3 year old preschool) and then in January switch to pencils. I use the chunky red pencils and break them in half so they aren't so long. I re-sharpen the end and that way they don't have so much trouble with the balance end to end