GRE's vs. MAT's

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by Leikela, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Leikela

Leikela Companion

Jun 2, 2006

Hi everyone,

I am taking 6 non-matriculated graduate credits right now so that I can teach Special Ed in the Fall. However, in order to continue my graduate coursework in the Fall I need to take either the GRE's or the MAT's.

I know the MAT's don't contain Math and focus on analogies, but are the analogies like the ones that were on the SAT? I had a nightmare of a time with the SAT's. I'm no dummy, but do not test well. I always ran out of time to complete the SAT's and could not break 1000! I think 980 was my highest score. I got good grades though and was accepted into some pretty good Universities that required higher SAT scores.

I guess I'm just afraid of repeating the horror show from HS. I just took the PRAXIS II 0014 and did very well so maybe now that I'm older I am not as anxious.

I don't mean to ramble on here. What strengths should you possess in order to take the GRE? What about the MAT? I don't know what direction to go in. Thanks for any input and sorry for the long post!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 2, 2006

Here's a link that fairly succinctly describes the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) and its scoring: http://www.siue.edu/IS/TEST/MAT/index.html. It's all analogies and nothing but analogies. This means it's testing your ability to "connect the dots", if you will - to perceive relationships among words and concepts that may not be apparent on the surface. It's multiple choice, 120 items, each with four possible answers. Let me make one up for you on the spur of the moment....

Okay:

The first two terms set up a direct link between a group (teachers) and a place in which that group congregates (well, all right, virtually - I did say this was on the spur of the moment... and you have no idea how hard it is to write good test questions till you've tried). D doesn't work because it's relevant to the first two terms but much less directly relevant to the second. C doesn't work because when congressmen go to their district offices, they're dispersing, not coming together. Answer A doesn't work because it doesn't bring congressmen together (at least, not necessarily) - and, though teachers do benefit enormously from A to Z, it's not about partying at someone else's expense. This leaves us with B, the Capitol building, which is where Congress meets. Not a terrific answer, but less bad than the others.

If the analogies on the SAT were a problem for you, you might prefer the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Here's a link to ETS's official FAQ page: http://www.gre.org/faqnew.html. I notice the page mentions a software package for practicing that apparently comes with one's registration.

The GRE is an aptitude test, quite like the SAT but perhaps slanted a little less toward skills and a little more toward higher-order thinking. It's supposed to show

- how well you can articulate your own ideas and analyze others' ideas (that's the analytical writing section);

- how well you can comprehend and synthesize information from written material, analyze sentences into their parts, and grasp relationships between concepts and the words that express them (that's the verbal reasoning section);

- how well you can handle arithmetic, algebra, geometry, and data analysis, and use these to solve problems (that's the quantitative reasoning section)

Hope this helps.

4. Leikela

Leikela Companion

Jun 2, 2006

Hi TG,

Yes, this helps immensely. Thank you!! The analogies are something I did struggle with on the SAT's so I think I'm going to take the GRE's. I just read the link you sent and it appears as though I would do really well on the writing part as I am very analytical. The Math part I will just study up on. No biggie. I did all the way up to Pre-Cal in undergrad.

Thanks for helping me to make my decision!! :)

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 2, 2006

If test taking is not just your cup of hemlock, try taking the test as though you were walking someone else through it.

I will admit to disapproving of computerized tests (like GRE) that don't let the test taker go back and change her mind: fast thinking is merely a cute parlor trick, but good thinking is much more interesting, and for lots of us, it takes a little more time. But you'll probably do fine, and if you did through pre-calculus as an undergrad, you should be well equipped for the math.

6. adria

adria Comrade

Jun 3, 2006

I took the GRE and MAT...take my word the MAT is the way to go...I passed the MAT in one go...but I flunked the GRE and will never take it again. :eek:

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 3, 2006

I'm sorry to hear that, adria. Do you think of yourself as a good test taker generally, or not?

8. adria

adria Comrade

Jun 3, 2006

I am a good test taker, I took the GRE by computer which I believed was the reason why I flunked. I took the MAT by paper and I passed...lol. I don't know but for some reason I like to doodle, scribble and underline key words on my paper. To make the long story short I am great test taker by paper and not computer....I am computer literate....so I know that's not the issue.

9. Leikela

Leikela Companion

Jun 3, 2006

Hmmm... Thanks for you feedback Adria. Before I register for either, I think I'm going to check out a book from the library on both, do the sample tests and see which one I feel more comfortable with.

Generally, I am not a good standarized test taker, but I shocked myself with my PRAXIS score. I scored in the top of each catergory except for Math where I scored at average. I tried not to Psych myself out though and it worked!

Thanks again for all of your feedback. It has really helped!! :)

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 3, 2006

Leikela, as part of your research, visit the GRE Web site I posted above: if your computer isn't a Mac (or, presumably, if you've got VirtualPC), you can download materials which apparently include a simulated GRE on computer.

11. iteachk-1

iteachk-1 Rookie

Jun 3, 2006

The GRE website does have a download for test prep. They sent the same materials on CD when you register for the test. I did not receive mine in the mail until 3 weeks before the test. Luckily I had already downloaded the material. I didn't do much preparation for the GRE. I found the verbal to be easier then the quantitative, but my score for the quantitative was higher. Go figure??? I don't have experience with the MAT but the GRE is really not that hard.

12. adria

adria Comrade

Jun 3, 2006

good luck with the test....