Greetings, questions from a future teacher

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by arose1980, Aug 9, 2010.

1. arose1980

arose1980 New Member

Aug 9, 2010

Greetings,

I am hoping to gain some information from the teachers here. I am looking to teach at the secondary level in history or religious studies but I'm not sure what requirements and path would allow me to teach the quickest. I have a BA in both Psychology and Religious Studies and a Masters in Theology. If I were to teach religious studies at a high school level what would I need to do to get certified? If I wanted to teach history what would I need to do for that subject as well.

Thank you

3. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 10, 2010

Your best bet is to contact the dept of education for whichever state you are in as it varies from state to state. Good luck to you.

4. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Aug 10, 2010

The fastest track will probably be a year, minimum.

You will need to apply and get accepted into an alternative certification program.

You will then need to take additional courses in history/religious studies to get at least 24 college credit hours in your content area.

You will need to student teach at a school for X number of hours.

You will then need to sign up and study for your content examination test and pass it.

Finally, you will need to hunt for a job and secure a position.

I did the fast track, and it took me a year to get into my current teaching position.

5. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Aug 10, 2010

If you're looking to teach at a private school (which I've never heard of a religious studies course being offered at a public high school), you have some wiggle room as they have much lighter teacher certification requirements.

In addition to contacting the state, I'd suggest contacting some of the private schools in your area and asking them about it.

When I was looking to jump from engineering to teacher, I first contacted several principals. Most didn't return my call, but the couple who did were extremely insightful and gave no frills answers.

After that, I interviewed the deans of several of the graduate programs in education and got similar results. Some who didn't bother to return my calls and a couple who gave me outstanding insights.

Seeking out this advice was one of the smartest things I have ever done.

6. falcons88

falcons88 Rookie

Aug 14, 2010

Online Option

There are also online fast track programs that could move you quicker. I became a teacher after having a Bachelors in Communications. I went back to school for ELementary Ed and it took about a year and a half. In my case there are state tests and if I did not have 24 hours (as someone mentioned) you can pass a test instead.