Green Classrooms

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Cyansmom, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Cyansmom

Cyansmom Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

Are any of you concentrating on being Green Classrooms starting in Sept?

If so, what do you plan on doing?

I have volunteered to be the Green Ambasadors for our school. I would like my students to set the example for other kids.

We will be doing things like Reusing paper - lots! Collecting plastic contaners (yogurt etc), trying to use as little plastic bags as possible.

I have tons of ideas in my head but I would love to know what other Green Classrooms are doing!!

Thanks
    Ladena

3. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Aug 12, 2008

Last year the second grade at my school got everyone recycling yogurt containers - large and small and the juice pouches. By the end of the year we had added in granola bar wrappers and pre packaged cookie wrappers too. Oh yeah, and milk cartons.

4. MissLibrary

MissLibrary Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

I'm trying to cut back on laminating things that don't really need it and re-using paper (I always print front and back). Our school currently recycles mixed paper and water bottles. Too bad the cafeteria serves everything on styrofoam though!

5. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Aug 12, 2008

Well I have heard that Windex cleaner is and has always been green. So thats a start! You can buy a classroom set of rags to use to clean instead of using papertowels. I know you can't use them for everything but that will cut down your use of papertowels. You can also use whiteboards not chalkboards. I know you have to use what they give you but you could ask for white boards if you do not have them.

6. Mrs_B

Mrs_B Comrade

Aug 12, 2008

I teach at an environmental science magnet and we recycle as a school. Every classroom has paper recycling boxes and I personally make a BIG deal about using both sides of paper. If it has a blank side it goes into the scratch paper bin and they know not to go near the "good" paper unless I say. We also have plastic recycling in my classroom. The school recycles at lunch and we train the kids to separate, including the paper trays they are served on. We also encourage reusable containers and sponsor a "NO TRASH LUNCH week." The lunch monitors hand out school bucks to kids who use the school water bottle, etc. The faculty room also recycles and uses silverware we wash with environmentally friendly products, etc. Our school is going to provide green party packs to each classroom this year. We have also looked into corn-based plastic products...I think the biggest thing is awareness....People don't realize that plasticware is not recyclable, etc.

7. hbdb

hbdb Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

I have a worm bin in my class where children can put their food scraps. Can O Worms makes a great worm bin that can be kept in the class and does not smell at all. I also have the "person of the week" bring home the scrap container to add more food for the worms, fluff, and feed the worms.

8. Mrs_B

Mrs_B Comrade

Aug 12, 2008

Oh, I forgot the worm bin! We have orange buckets out at snack/lunch and the kids know to put their banana peels, etc in there and they go in the school worm bin in the outdoor science classroom.

9. lnewbigging

lnewbigging Companion

Aug 12, 2008

We have energy saving lightbulbs and we compost as a school we also recycle paper and drink containers

10. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 12, 2008

I posted a big thread about this awhile back... I'll have to find it.

I have done a lot of "green" things as well. My kids are Glue Crew members and we recycle glue bottles and glue stick tubes.

In the past we have done worm bins and composting, but I don't know if I will next year. We use both sides of a paper, I have stopped doing worksheets for most subjects as well. If I can help it, I will find a way to do something without a worksheet, whether we use little whiteboards, journals or they just pair-share instead. I can find other ways of assessing them without the worksheets. I do have to use the ones that come with the math curriculum, but I am hoping that will be the majority of what they get this year!! Wouldn't that be amazing?

11. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Aug 15, 2008

I also found this is totally green earth friendly/recyleable pencils from office max:
    Office max- Paper Mate Earthwrite Recycled Pencils, #2 12/pk
    $1.09 for the 12 pack
    OfficeMax- Economy Woodcase Pencils, #2 Medium Soft 12/pk -
    99 cents for the 12 pack

12. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Aug 15, 2008

Check with local tax prep places. Many of them have boxes and boxes of old tax forms printed only on one side and many will give them to schools for free! My entire district last year had paper and it was FREE (we did have plain paper if we needed it)!