Greek Mythology

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by SportsFanTr, Sep 14, 2013.

1. SportsFanTr

SportsFanTr Companion

Sep 14, 2013

Next week, our schedule will be disrupted due to benchmark testing, which is actually a good thing in my mind. I want to do a unit on Greek Mythology! This is actually a part of the 4th grade standards now as well, so it fits well.

However, I have no idea where to begin - I'm getting overwhelmed just searching around the internet. Has anyone done mythology with their students, especially in 3rd-5th grades? What did you do? Here's two ideas I've been playing around with:

1) Have students make trading cards of the major Greek gods and goddesses.

2) Have students research and present on a specific greek god or goddess.

I know I need to limit their searching to specific websites if I let them loose on the internet due to questionable material and possible nudity :eek:

Any ideas, suggestions, websites, etc.. would be welcome!!!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

4. Ted

Ted Habitué

Sep 14, 2013

I wish it was part of our fourth-grade curriculum! I love Greek and Roman mythologies. :)

When I taught 6th grade, I actually had the students perform mini-plays on some of the more well-known myths (e.g., Persephone & Hades, Narcissus & Echo, Hercules' feats, etc.) The kids had a blast!

For creative writing, I had them create their own myths based on things they wondered about (e.g., "Why the octopus has eight tentacles", "Why trees grow upward", etc.) They would then share them with the class.

I would imagine there may be some kid-friendly animated stories and you could have the students write essays that compare and contrast the movies with the actual stories.

Group the students and have the "teams" list English words that most likely originate with Greek mythological words (e.g., "morphine comes from Morpheus", "Psychology comes from Psyche", "Erotic comes from Eros" (this last one may not be suitable! :) ) )

5. SportsFanTr

SportsFanTr Companion

Sep 14, 2013

I saw that czacza and thought about buying it. Have you used it? What did you like about it?

Thanks Ted, I'm now off to youtube to search animated versions of some of the myths!

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2013

I bought it last year. My kids loved the unit. It has trading cards in the unit. Also explores idioms that come from mythology: Midas touch, pandoras box, etc. Great graphics:) we used the writing paper in the unit to retell myths. I thought it was totally worth it and I'll use it again this year!:thumb:

7. SportsFanTr

SportsFanTr Companion

Sep 14, 2013

Awesome, thanks again! I will definitely buy it, as it seems like it has excellent reviews from you and other :)

8. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 14, 2013

I had my kids pick mythological figures last year to research. They got to dress up as their characters and do a presentation to the class. There were a few guiding questions for the kids, but for the most part, it was pretty self-directed. A few of the kids ended up writing their own myths starring their characters. It was pretty cool. I just collected about 100 books of various reading levels from the library, pointed them towards some kid-friendly websites, and they took it and ran.

9. Ted

Ted Habitué

Sep 14, 2013

You're very welcome! :)

And thanks to czacza for the TPT link. Looks intriguing!

Mrs. Hodge, don't forget Disney's Hercules. ;)