Great Videos for K and 1st grade!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by HWilson, Jul 19, 2011.

1. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 19, 2011

If you are looking for a great cartoon/show to entertain and teach your students "Team Umizoomi" is great!! I know there is very rarley a need to show videos but when that time my come and I thought you would want to keep this show in mind. The show is for math and covers patterns, numbers, shapes, problem solving, and I'm sure other things too.

I am keeping my nephew this summer (he is going onto 1st grade) and every morning when he gets here we watch Team Umizoomi. He LOVES it, heck I LOVE it!!:lol: Both of us sing a long and answer the questions, etc. I am mostly impressed because he is unmedicated ADHD and will sit and watch and participate with this show. Other shows that are interactive (like Dora the Explorer for example) he doesn't respond but for Team Umizoomi he responds, interacts, and sings along. That impressed me the most. And it is PACKED with math lessons!!

It is a show to cover math concepts and comes on Nick.

Thought I'd share the info. Check it out!! You'll enjoy it too! :love:

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2011

Hmmm, I haven't heard of it, but I'll ask my DD. She tends to watch Disney more than Nick, but I bet she's heard of it.

Thanks!

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2011

Well, pardon me. As I just asked DD about it, she informed me that she has already told me all about the show and has told me that she loves watching it....

5. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 19, 2011

LOL .... it is a great show to keep kids minds going and it's fun!! Glad to know others out there are also enjoying it!! :thumb:

My I ask what DD stands for? Ive seen a lot of abreviations on here that I am able to figure out but DD and DH are too I cant figure out. I think DH is husband... :unsure:

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2011

Sorry! It stands for dear daughter, and my DD is 9, so I knew it was probably a show that she would have heard of, being at that age where she's interested in all of those kinds of shows.

Yes, DH is dear husband...

7. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 19, 2011

aaahhhhh ... Thanks so much for sharing!!

Glad to hear your DD ;) has already discovered and enjoys an educational show. It sure beats other things out there that I am currently being forced to watch since Team Unizoomi and Bubble Guppies is over! :lol:

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2011

Yes, in fact when I asked her, she said, "It's a mathematics show." I don't think I have ever seen it, or if I have, I sure haven't paid too much attention to it (that's not obvious, right?).

In any case, thanks for sharing about the show! I don't think I'll forget it now!!

9. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 19, 2011

That sounds great! But it's a tv show? I try & keep an educational video on hand for those days that I probably should have called in sick, but didn't or as part of my sub plans. Last year I showed Leap's Letter Factory. I really want Leap's Making Words, but I can't find it by itself other then at Amazon. I do have a Leap's Story time, can't remember the exact title.

I don't have access to cable in my room.

10. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, it's a good one! My 4 year old loves it. It's on Nick/Nick Jr. I don't know if they have it on DVD yet as it's relatively new. I think it may have just started earlier this year. IMO (oops, another abbrevation = in my opinion ;) ) the skills are more PreK/K level although there are kids in first who probably don't know them all yet.

11. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 19, 2011

I agree with Amanda, about the age appropriateness. My (almost) 8 year old daughter does not enjoy it as much as my 6 year old. Then again, she may just not like it.