Great things from your principal

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by funnyteacher, Jul 8, 2010.

1. funnyteacher

funnyteacher Rookie

Jul 8, 2010

Have any of you had an absolutely wonderful principal that did little things for you throughout the year?

3. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 8, 2010

Constantly affirmed that I was doing a great job in the classroom and among the staff.

4. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Jul 8, 2010

I don't know what the general studies principal in the school I'm working in this year is like, but I know the Judaic studies principal does do nice things for the teachers...I hope the general studies principal has learned from her!

5. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Jul 8, 2010

The best things my principal/assistant principal do are coming into our classrooms to help out. If I'm working on a lesson that requires extra help - they come! Amazing, and the kids love it. They will do anything to help our kids. We love them!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2010

Probably not "little things" in the manner you mean.

But mine has been absolutely incredible through all my crises of the past few years.

Two summers ago, when my medical issues started, I cried on the phone every time I called to give him an update. He let me cry and never mentioned the tears.

When I bailed on the Christmas party that year because I just found out that I would be receiving radiation, he not only menitoned how I would be missed, but told me of others we know who had had radiation, in an attempt to put my fears to rest.

I could (and often have) go on and on. Non-illness related example: I was one of the original memebers of the faculty of my school when we opened in 1987. I quit 13 years later to be a SAHM. In addition to a cash going-away gift, he also got me a cloissine (sp?) figure of the animal that's our school mascot. It's gorgeous-- it sits in my China cabinet and reminds me all the time of how lucky I am.

7. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 8, 2010

Not little things but one thing she did was support me in every decision and was always there to help with a student/parent if I had problems. To me that is important.

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 8, 2010

Backing me up with students every day, telling me good things about my instructional methods, asking me to return this coming year!

9. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 8, 2010

It isn't always the praise-but I know she is there for me. She is always willing to give a hug when I need one. Because of my commute, she is the first to call me when weather is bad, and really worries when I am on the road heading into town. She lets me teach. She trusts that I am teaching-and doesn't question. (too much, that is). She is a fairly new administrator, and doing a good job!

10. cheer

cheer Comrade

Jul 9, 2010

A few years ago my P paid for a massage person to give the entire staff back massages and an extra 10min out of the room so you could get your massage.
    He also walked around 1 day and gave the staff flowers and said we are all doing a great job.
    My P also started a compliment campaign that was ment to boost every ones spirits. He would recognize staffers who were doing an exceptional job. If you were recognized you got a certificate in the staff meeting and a poker chip to collect to earn prizes. (this last effort to improve staff attitude was not recieved well by all staffers) (not me because I love the challenge of earning the most chips)

11. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2010

Watched my kids for the last hour of the day when I was too sick to make it through!

(After about the 8th call from the office saying "so and so has strep" I knew that my sore throat was a big problem, and my kids were begging me to leave...)

12. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 10, 2010

* Had enough confidence in me to be team leader my 1st year of teaching
    * Praises me and writes me nice notes
    * Exceptional formal observations
    * Has an open door policy
    * Helped me out by covering my classroom when I had to go to the ER for horrible stomach pains
    * Helped me out in a H U G E way last year. I was really, really stuck in a terrible situation and she helped me out IMMENSELY!!

13. boomer mitra

boomer mitra Rookie

Jul 10, 2010

nah! our principal is emotionless :D

14. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Jul 10, 2010

I recently walked in on my principal singing my praises to a new teacher I will be working with. It made me feel really good.

15. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 10, 2010

Wow. You all are LUCKY!! We very rarely hear about what we do right. Once a year, our P will say to all of us in a faculty meeting (usually in February, for some reason) that she appreciates all of us. But that's it.

16. meltua

meltua Rookie

Jul 10, 2010

We find little candies and treats with a nice note in our mailboxes pretty frequently, especially around stressful times of the year. My P and the assistants do frequent walk throughs and always leave a post-it on your desk saying how great you are. I'm also so lucky to work with admins that you can joke around with. I don't know what I'll do when she retires!

17. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Jul 10, 2010

I've had this, too. She would also go all out for Teachers' Appreciation Week. She'd have little gifts for us all every day and she would always write us really nice notes. She also would buy decorations and stuff and let us order anything we want from a Chili's type restaurant and would pick it up for us and have a themed "teacher's lunch" (she had parents volunteer to do lunch/recess duty). In addition, she had gotten our kids to all tell her what they like about their teachers and she typed up the ones from our individual students and framed them for us. She was awesome. I have since switched schools and I miss her.