Great start to my day!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Beth2004, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 8, 2005

I came in this morning and the regular classroom teacher that I'll be subbing for until March told me that a parent had come in to talk to the principal about me yesterday and he (the principal) wanted her to let me know that the parent ranted and raved about me and how happy she was about how the transition was going from the regular teacher to me. It really put a smile on my face. :) I haven't met this parent, but apparently her son has been going home and telling his mother good things about me and that I've been doing all of the teaching even though the teacher hasn't left yet. It really made my day! :wow:

3. mccwen

mccwen Comrade

Dec 8, 2005

Fantastic! Doesn't feel good to get good feedback from parents! I know when I have conferences and parents tell me their child loves to come to school, it always makes me feel like I'm doing things right! I'm glad it's working out for you!

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 8, 2005

High five, Beth!

5. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 8, 2005

Awesome! Maybe this will lead to a full time position. Xcrossed fingersX

6. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2005

Way to go girl...I take it the job must be going pretty well then!? I was thinking the same thing Ms. W said...maybe something more will come of it.

7. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 8, 2005

Oh, I really hope something more comes of it. I'm definitely keeping my fingers crossed for a full-time position for next year!
    Things are going really well....besides the little boo boo I made this morning.....We do our attendance online and it gets sent down to the secretary that way. We have the kids from 7:50-8:05 in homeroom, do attendance, and then they go to their special. I sent the attendance at 8:00 and then we started to get ready to line up for Spanish. I had marked a child absent that wasn't there and then he showed up as we were walking down the hallway. I assumed he had stopped by the office first, so I just sent him with the rest of the class. Apparently, he hadn't gone to the office and when the secretary called his mom (because of the absence) she started to panic! The secretary called my room and asked me if he was there. I said yes and she told me what happened. I guess that's what I get for making assumptions!! I feel really bad, but now I know to send the child straight to the office if they come in late because I can't trust them to do it on their own!!

8. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 8, 2005

Yesterday I had two students absent. When they came back from lunch I started pulling numbered sticks to choose people for 7-Up, and I drawed one of those students' name. I said "Oh, J..... is not here." Then I heard a "Yes I am." I panicked. I said "You weren't here this morning", and he confirmed it. I thought I missed him all day when he was here. I've also sent the lunch count down with no numbers on it. Duh... They called me several times last year telling me that I'd forgotten.

9. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 8, 2005

haha....We all make mistakes, I guess. :)
    Things are going really well for me, though, other than that. I love the school and everyone there has been so nice to me. Tomorrow is the regular classroom teacher's last day until March so i'll be officially on my own as of Monday.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 9, 2005

If you behave as though you in fact know what you're doing, you'll probably get away with it. Someone's going to think I'm being flippant, but actually I'm serious: keep pretending, and in due course you'll find that you're really and truly doing fine. It's a little like learning to ride a bicycle: you have to forget that it really shouldn't work.

In other words, kiddo, you're doing fine: carry on.

11. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 9, 2005

When I arrived at school this morning, I waved at the principal who was in the office and he called me in. He asked me if the teacher had told me what the parent said. I told him she had, and he told me how he had gone to the room to tell me himself, but I was teaching so he had just whispered it to her. He told me how happy he was that the parent was so happy and to keep up the good work. Another day starting off very well. :)

12. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Dec 9, 2005

I'm really happy for you Beth!

13. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 9, 2005

Thanks! :)
    I am REALLY hoping this turns into a permanent position for next year. The principal came into the classroom this morning and asked me what my favorite subject is to teach. I told him that I like L.A. and Math the most. He said, "Ok, there's no right or wrong answer. I'm just storing things away in the back of my head for future reference. By the way...good answer." Haha...I don't know what he's up to, but I'm hoping he's considering me for a position!

14. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 9, 2005

I just bet you he is if he's popping in asking you questions like that. Yeah!!!!

15. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 9, 2005

Beth first congratulations! I missed this post yesterday and second I take it you didn't get much snow down there?

16. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Dec 9, 2005

That's wonderful!! My long term position turned into a full time spot for this year. I hope you follow the same path.

17. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 9, 2005

Oh yeah, we got snow!! Check out my post on the "weather" thread.

18. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 13, 2005

I just wanted to update this thread a little. We had a faculty meeting yesterday and the principal used it as an opportunity to introduce me to all of the teachers who had not met me yet. He also proceeded to tell them the story about the mother coming in to speak with him about me! :) I thought that was really nice of him to share that with everyone. He's really made me feel so welcome.
    Also, I send home "Friday Folders" every week with all of the students' work from that week. They parents then sign a sheet that goes with it, keep the work, and the students return the folder and sheet to me. The mother who spoke to the principal about me wrote "Welcome! You are doing a great job!" under the "comments" section of the sheet. I thought that was really sweet of her. I wrote her a thank you note to let her know how much I appreciated it.

19. herins

herins Companion

Dec 13, 2005

It sounds like you are at a wonderful school! It is soo important for the children to have a good transition, and you guys are obviously helping to ensure that happens. It sounds like you may have a promising future there!

20. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 14, 2005

It really is a wonderful school and they've made me feel so welcome. I loved the school that I student taught at and was really hoping to find a job there this year, but now that I've been here for the past 3 weeks, I feel like this may be where I belong. I really feel like I "fit" here. I don't know, I guess we'll see what happens. :)

21. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 14, 2005

Yeah! :)

22. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 14, 2005

Beth, it really sounds like you found a wonderful school, and they found a wonderful teacher:).

23. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 14, 2005

Thanks everyone :)
    I haven't had the greatest day today....
    In this district we get paid every two weeks. Well, today I was supposed to get my paycheck for my first two weeks there. Apparently there was an issue with it and I won't be getting paid until the next pay cycle which means my first pay check from them will be on Dec. 28th!!! I started on Nov. 28th! WHen I get that check it'll be for all four weeks, but still. I figured out my bills for this month and the rest of my Christmas shopping relying on getting a check this week. I guess what happened was, they wanted to pay me the long term sub pay, which is $160 a day, starting from my first day. When the principal brought the paperwork to the central office, the ladies there told him that he can't do that that I would have to get paid the regular sub pay for my first 10 days and then get paid the long term sub pay after that. I guess he was arguing with them all week last week until the superintendent finally stepped in and told the women that they had agreed that I would get paid the $160 starting my first day. Because this took them all week last week, I was not put into the payroll for this week's check. I wanted to cry when he told me today. The principal offered to loan me money until after Christmas, but I really don't feel comfortable with that since I've only been there 2 weeks. Sorry for venting...I'm just really upset!

24. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 14, 2005

Beth, everytime this has happend to me I have managed to get the paycheck out of whoever wrote the checks out. This has happend to me quite a few times. There IS a way for them to pay you, someone just doesn't want to do the extra paperwork. Check it out further.

25. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 14, 2005

I'm just so afraid to ruffle any feathers since I've only been there two weeks and really hope to get a permanent position for next year.

26. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 14, 2005

If you really need the money borrow it. If you have a credit card put the stuff on the card just make sure you don't go over what you would have used for money then pay the card off as soon as you get the check.

27. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 14, 2005

I understand, but it's not your fault someone else wasn't doing their job and someone needs to fix your problem. There is a way to do it nicely, just stand up for yourself, politely. You shouldn't have to suffer because someone else is too lazy to fix the problem.

28. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 14, 2005

Ask if you can at least get the sub pay for this time and they put the extra amount they owe you on the next one.

29. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 14, 2005

That's the thing. I would've been happy with the sub pay! That's what I thought I was going to be getting anyway. The thing is, though, if there was any way to get that money to me the principal would have gotten it and wouldn't have been offering me money out of his pocket. I'm just going to borrow money from my bf so that I can finish Christmas shopping and then pay him back on the 28th when I finally get paid.

30. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 14, 2005

Hopefully it will work out. I'm sorry you're in this position. Other than that is it going okay?

31. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 15, 2005

Other than that, things are going great. :)

32. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 15, 2005

Didn't mean to sound like I wanted you to get yourself in trouble, Beth. I just know from my experience (and hubby's at the bank)that something could be done, someone just doesn't want to go that extra mile and it's frustrating to hear about that. People only want to do what is minimally expected of them, nothing more, and that stinks. I'm glad you are able to work something out with your boyfriend for the time being. It's a really icky time of year for this to happen to you too.

33. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Dec 15, 2005

I'm sorry Beth. I went through a similar thing a few months ago (someone forgot to put all of the student employees in the computer, so no one with a campus job was getting paid) and it stinks! :(

34. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 15, 2005

I remember that!

35. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 15, 2005

Oh yes, I remember that too Danny.

36. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 16, 2005

The superintendent actually came to my room yesterday to speak with me and appologize in person. He's really upset at the whole situation and feels awful about it. I thought it was nice of him to make a special trip.

37. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 16, 2005

Oh that was nice of him. To bad he didn't write you out a check himself!