Great source for test questions

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by Aliceacc, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2006

To those of you not familiar with NY STate testing:

NY gives statewide exams on a variety of subjects to its kids each year.. the dreaded Regents Exams. Most of us in NY use old exams as a great source for test and worksheet questions.

Here's the site http://www.nysl.nysed.gov/regentsexams.htm

Note to math teachers: Don't even look at Sequential I, II, III or math A or B unless you're in the mood for a good chuckle. Go back to the older exams in Algebra, Geometry and Algebra II Trig.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 19, 2006

Alice, for us ignoramuses (ignorami? ignorames? ignoramata?) in other states, could you please explain about the "good chuckle"?

(Sorry. I can't stand being out of an in-joke.)

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2006

OK, here it goes:

Once upon a time, there was math. Students, even in the Empire State of NY, hit high school, and learned a year of Algebra, followed by one in Geometry, then one in Algebra II & Trig. Fifty states coexisted in mathematical bliss.

Then, circa around 1980 or so, the bad times began. Bad, terrible people in Albany NY decided that the Empire State children did not need to know the same math as their brethern in other states. Oh, no!! Enter Sequential math.

From those ivory towers in Albany came Sequential I; a combination of algebra, geometry, trig, probability, statistics and logic-- just a smidge of each. Then, in Sequential II, another little smidge, Finally in sequential III, another little smidge. And sadness fell over the land. In order to add all these delightful smidges, of course, something had to give. So from those ivory towers came the decree "Let them live without word problems!! Surely every situation in real life that requires math will come in the form of an equation already written out on a page!!" And darkness reigned, particularly on the poor children who had to remember all those little smidges from one year to another.

Then, from those ivory towers in about 1992ish, came another decree: "These tests are too expensive to give every year!! We'll give two instead of three: one in January of Sophomore year, and another at the end of Junior year. Surely our students are so mathematically superior to their brethern that they will remember formulas and procedures over the course of 18 months!" And SEquential math gave way to Math A and B, and great sorrow came over the land.

But there is a happy ending. This past spring, some people somehow invaded those ivory towers-- only these people had seen the inside of a high school in the past hundred years or so. They convinced the bad, mean, evil people in Albany that the children of the Empire State deserved, nay needed, the same math as their brethern in other states-- the math that would be on the SATs and college placement exams. So, as of I think 2008 or so, NY will once again be teaching a 3 year sequence of intelligent math.

And happiness once again came to the Empire STate.
    The End.

5. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 19, 2006

What a wonderful story! :D Too bad it is true! At least it has a happy ending.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 19, 2006

I am edified.

7. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 19, 2006

What a great source to get ideas! I was shocked to see the logic proof table. I don't remember doing anything like that until college!