great song to work on attention span

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by ginac, Feb 21, 2010.

1. ginac

ginac Rookie

Feb 21, 2010

I have been using the Cha Cha Slide in my classroom for the past few weeks and the kids and I love it. The dance mixes the moves and counts up. If a child is not focusing and listening they will not be doing the right move. I use it as a mid afternoon "wake-up". After the 5 minutes of dancing the kids are refreshed and ready to get to work. Instead of jumping forward or back we take tiny little jumps almost in place. :whistle:

3. Nijntje

Nijntje Rookie

Feb 21, 2010

Sounds interesting. How does it go? Do you have a link?

4. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Feb 21, 2010

It is great! When my daughter taught PE at my school, she came and taught it to my class. They loved it!!

5. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Feb 21, 2010

I don't know what this song is either. You use it to dance to?

What grade is this?

6. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Feb 21, 2010

The cha cha slide is great and the kids love it! You can look it up on youtube.

7. ginac

ginac Rookie

Feb 22, 2010

cha cha slide

One of my kids had given me a burnt CD. I use it for my 2nd graders, but the 5th graders heard the music and asked their teacher if they could do it. The moves are pretty simple: jumping forward or backwards, stepping right or left, reverse (it just means to turn all the way around) a cha cha move-just have them step forward/back/march in place for 3 steps, there is a move called the Charlie Brown-I am sure someone in your school(a kid or young teacher) could show that move. The super thing is that the DJ says all the steps and constantly changes the order and the number of jumps, side steps, etc.

8. ginac

ginac Rookie

9. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Feb 22, 2010

I LOVE it. What a great EL song! I am going to go out and buy an IPOD and download it. What a great incentive for the students.

10. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Feb 22, 2010

I think this is great but I don't understand how to do the dance. It is confusing with the video (or else I just can't dance). But I know the kids know this so I am going to use it tomorrow. Thanks!

11. janney

janney Cohort

Feb 22, 2010

My kids love the Cha Cha slide. The cupid shuffle is also a fun easy dance. It's good for left and right and listening. You move to the left or the right and then you give a couple of heel kicks. Walk by yourself you do your own thing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h24_zoqu4_Q
    These are great for indoor recess. They would be great for a mid afternoon energizer, thanks for the idea ginac.

12. ginac

ginac Rookie

Feb 28, 2010

sue 35

The video makes the dance look harder than what it is. When he says "to the right" everyone just side steps to the right. They do not need to move their arms or wiggle their hips. The only action needed to be done is what is said. The basic movements are stomping a foot, jumping, the cha cha, get funky(dance anyway you want), criss cross (like a jumping jack with feet but cross them), when you turn it is usually a 1/2 turn to face the next wall, reverse (have the kids turn all the way around, Charlie Brown ( rock back and forth).

If in doubt, you probably have a few kids that know it and put one in the front of the room, one in the back and one on each side of the room.

13. ginac

ginac Rookie

Feb 28, 2010

cupid shuffle

My kids like the Cupid Shuffle and it is good for knowing left and right and a sense of rhythm and timing. But I found the Cha Cha Slide "keeps them on their toes!". Cupid Shuffle only has 4 moves and it repeats over and over. The Cha Cha Slide never has the same moves so my class MUST pay attention the whole time. For this class to pay attention for over 4 minutes is a miracle!!!!!!!!!!!

14. MarieClarie

MarieClarie Rookie

Mar 9, 2010

My kids love the cha cha slide

Did you know there is a turtle that dances and sings the cha-cha slide? He comes and dances every time we listen to it, the children love it. We also use him as out "clean up turtle." When Cha Cha is finished, they should be finished cleaning. If so, they earn a free dance with Cha Cha!

Marie
    http://www.afterschoolclubideas.com

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  15. Here2Learn

Here2Learn Companion

Mar 9, 2010

it really depends on the group of kids you have in your class if you can use this song. when my daughter was going to daycare at 3 years old, they would play this song in her class. there's a part in the song that says, "how low can you go? can you go down low? down to the floor?" and OH MY GOD - some of the moves those kids made - even the teacher i saw was ridiculous! i was like, "whoa! am i at a club?" and i'm pretty liberal! just be careful if all i'm saying. i guess my daughter's "teacher" didn't have much sense and thought she was at a club on a friday night - but i've seen the song get raunchy!

16. ginac

ginac Rookie

Mar 10, 2010

shaking bootie

No matter what song I play there are always some kids dancing too old for their age. It is amazing what parents must let these kids see on TV or at home! I would think the cha cha slide would be difficult for 3 year olds...how do they know their left from right?

17. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Mar 10, 2010

Thats a good idea! Thanks!

18. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Mar 11, 2010

Song and movement breaks are so wonderful to get the brain going anytime! What a wonderful idea.