great sign langange books

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by childcare teach, May 10, 2007.

1. childcare teach

childcare teach Comrade

May 10, 2007

i found cool sign language books for preschool. they are board book too. i got two for 10.00 . does any one else teach there preschoolers sign langange and do they use it? my preschooler love it and go home to teach their momand dads.

3. ArizonaTeacher

ArizonaTeacher Rookie

May 10, 2007

I teach my 4 and 5 year olds sign language and they really enjoy it. I have used flash cards in the past but I am interested to hear about the books you found.

4. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

May 11, 2007

We use baby signs with the infants & toddlers starting at about 6 months. Most of our 2s are so verbal that they've grown out of it already. The 4s & K show a renewed interest in it, since they see it as another "secret" way to talk.

5. childcare teach

childcare teach Comrade

May 11, 2007

they are BOARD BOOKS AND THEY HAVE BABA BABA BLACK SHEEP AND TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE STAR AND TEDDY BEAR TEDDY BEAR. IF YOUR SCROLL DOWN THEY HAVE A DEAL OF THE DAY AND SHOWED TWO FOR ONE ON THE BOOKS. I GOT THEM AT BORDERS AND FOUND OUT TODAY THEY HAVE FLASH CARDS AND MORE FOR PRESCHOOLERS.
    MY TWO'S AND UP LOVE TO USE IT ALONG WITH TALKING THEY LOVE TO TEACH OTHERS WHAT THEY KNOW IN SIGN LANGAUGE.

6. Grandma

Grandma New Member

May 11, 2007

infant sign language

Hi, I too teach american sign language to infants and toddlers. I do have a problem with the signs I have found in books for children. They do not use the real sign but an infant version. To me this is like speaking baby talk to children in an attempt to teach them english. It is not correct usage of the language and will cause them to need to re-learn sign language should they ever actually need to use it with a deaf child. We do not do this with any other language we teach, I do not understand the reason for doing it with ASL. It is true that the children will not sign it correctly, but neither do they say their spoken works correctly at first. I have a deaf friend and assure you that she would not teach her child 'baby sign'.

7. msjustice

msjustice Rookie

May 11, 2007

in response to the previous post, i teach teachers how to teach infants and we have baby signs because some of the signs are too difficult for a very young child to do, so we simplify it. For example, milk instead of 2 hands we simplify it to one hand. It's not baby talk, it takes nothing away from the meaning of the sign.

8. Grandma

Grandma New Member

May 11, 2007

baby signs

I understand that some of the signs are too difficult for the infants to do, just as the words in english are too difficult to say. Naturally you would accept their level of communication, or ability, to sign a word and respond to them just as you would a word that is not pronounced right. I would still suggest that it is better to use the proper signage at any age. One of the signs that comes to mind from a baby sign book is 'panting' for the sign 'dog', a child can not snap their fingers but they can surely approximate the sign and be understood.

9. childcare teach

childcare teach Comrade

May 14, 2007

THE BOOKS I ORDERED HAVE ALS SIGNS IN THEM. SO THEY ARE THE REAL SIGNS . THE WORKSHOP I TOOK HAD THESE BOOKS AND THEY ARE ALS APPROVED WHAT EVER THAT MEANS. I GUESS I WILL FIND OUT WHEN THEY GET HERE.

10. Grandma

Grandma New Member

May 15, 2007

That sounds great, I know you will have fun working with the kids. They are awsome when it comes to signing.