Great Science Experiments for 3rd grade

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by AnonyMS, Sep 17, 2011.

1. AnonyMS

AnonyMS 7th grade ELA SDI in Texas

Sep 17, 2011

Help! My own 3rd grader has been designated as "Scientist of the Week" and needs to perform an experiment on Friday. The teacher gave no recommended resources or ideas and I don't have time to scour the internet for a workable experiment.

What science experiments have you elementary teachers seen which were good? It needs to be something which uses supplies we would already have at home.

Oh, and the first scientist of the week did the Mentos in soda one already.

Thanks!

3. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Sep 17, 2011

In science this past week we made oobleck (cornstarch and water) to demonstrate solids and liquids. If you want more info, let me know.

2nd grade this week made lava lamps. They used a test tube and put in water and veggie oil. then they dropped a piece of an alka-seltzer tablet in and watched the reaction.

4. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Sep 17, 2011

Oh nklauste! Thank you for reminding me about oobleck! We are starting our states of matter unit this week and I totally forgot about oobleck :) My kiddos will be so excited!

5. dcnuck

dcnuck Companion

Sep 17, 2011

hard boiled egg in water and another egg in vinegar. The vinegar removes the egg shell---not sure how long it takes. I always show them one day both eggs and then leave it overnight and show them

6. AnonyMS

Sep 17, 2011

Scientist of the week get 20 minutes to perform their experiment so that means they can't do the vinegar-egg one (which I love).

Is oobleck also 'goo' or 'slime'?

I like the water / veggie oil / seltzer tablet idea.

7. crunchytxmama

crunchytxmama Companion

Sep 18, 2011

We did a fun experiment a couple of weeks ago. We decided to see which holds more water--soil or sand. I bought sand at Walmart for $2, and used soil from the backyard. I used clear plastic cups with holes in the bottom and we just poured equal amounts of water into the cups (over some plastic plates that I had at home), to see how the water leaked out. It was very obvious which one held water better.

8. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Sep 18, 2011

Oobleck isn't really goo or slime. What it is: when you try to push your hand through it quick or move it quick, it is a solid; when you take your time and move it slow, it is a liquid. My 3rd graders loved playing with it (but it can be messy).

9. AnonyMS

Sep 18, 2011

I like the soil / sand one, also.

These are good ideas. Keep 'em coming!