Great her kid is in my class!!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MsBee, Sep 3, 2009.

1. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Sep 3, 2009

First year teacher and just found out another teacher will have her child in my class. Great!

I'm so scared. She knows I am first year but still...how will this work out? I can just see her constantly in my class etc.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2009

I've taught the kids of colleagues before, and it has been a non-issue.

My only suggestion is that, if you have any sort of an issue with the child, you let mom know that you need to have a private chat with her; don't make the mistake of stopping her in the hallway or talking about it in the faculty room.

She'll be busy with her own class- there's no reason to think she'll have the time or the desire to be in yours.

Relax, this is most likely a non-issue.

4. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Sep 3, 2009

I hope its not an issue. Its just that she has seen me go through the non confident first year teacher stage setting up and I wonder if she thinks I won't be a good teacher for her kid.

5. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Sep 3, 2009

I agree! I have had numerous teachers' kids. I've never had any problems. Usually the kids are better than you expect; they just know eyes are watching and reporting to their parent.;)

6. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Sep 3, 2009

Like Alice, I have had colleagues' kids in my room, and I've never had any problems with them popping in or being in any way inappropriate. My system is that if it's something I would call any other parent about, then it is something that I pass on to the parent, either in person at school privately or through a phone call.

7. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Sep 3, 2009

She will have her own class to teach, won't she? She shouldn't be in your room all the time.

We have several teachers on staff who have children in each other's classes. It's kind of one of our norms here not to treat the children of teachers any differently. They are not allowed in the teacher's lounge! And the teachers who are parents are treated like any other parent! They schedule conferences by appointment, they send in the requested supplies, and make sure that at school they are not readily available to their children.

However....it does depend on your school's culture. Is there a reason why you're so nervous, other than maybe being judged by another teacher? Does this teacher have a reputation for being difficult?

8. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Sep 3, 2009

No. I think this teacher is new as well...but I am not 100% sure on that.
    I overheard that she was new and didn't want to let a lot of people know so she is saying that she has taught before(career changer)

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 3, 2009

I wouldn't expect it to be an issue. I've had lots of teachers kids . . . and principal's kids. It's never been an issue. Most of the time the kids are good, and sometimes they are stinkers just like "regular" kids.

A couple of co-workers choose to have the "non-teacher" parent take care of all of the at school stuff.

10. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2009

I've done it 2 times and it was a non issue both years. In fact, I am very good friends with one of the parents. Just be sure to keep things professional when it comes to the child's schooling. I am sure everything will be fine!!

11. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2009

Last year was my first year teaching and I had lots of teachers' kids and I had my principal's daughter in my class. It wasn't really a problem at all and as other posters have said a lot of times teachers' kids are better behaved because they know that you can easily talk to their parents.

12. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 4, 2009

Don't borrow trouble, her kid is just going to be another kid in your class. I've had oodles of staff members kids and they really want their kids to be treated like all the others.

Don't ever apologize for being a first year teacher, what you lack in experience you'll make up in enthusiasm and energy.

13. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Sep 4, 2009

I've never had problems with teachers' kids. I DID have trouble with principals' kids..THEY made me nervous.

Teachers' kids...were a non-issue.

14. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2009

I have my principals' kid this year, and would be worried, except I had her older sister as a first year teacher (and parent was only a teacher then).

I have had lots of students whose parents teach at the public schools in our area. This year, for the first time, I have a parent who also teaches third grade--that makes me a little nervous, especially since it's my first year in third!

15. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Sep 4, 2009

I agree...

non-issue! No worries about being a first year teacher...everyone was or will be one at one time or another. :D

16. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 4, 2009

I've had faculty kids before and it hasn't been an issue. If you do see that the parent is causing you problems (something more than the average parent would), I would suggest talking to your principal.

A colleague of mine was hearing from other people recently that another faculty member was saying she would give this person a hard time this year since her child has my colleague as a teacher. After hearing such comments from a few people, she went to our principal and told him what was up and he handled it.

ALL teachers go through the first year teacher stage. I'm sure this teacher remembers what it was like too :)

17. kidsandpups

kidsandpups Companion

Sep 4, 2009

I have the child of a colleague in my class. We made the arrangement that I would contact the dad instead when things needed to be addressed to avoid an uncomfortable situation.

18. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2009

I had my Principal and Asst Principal's childern last year. This year I have 3 faculty children and my Principal's other child. They are less involved in my classroom than other children. My Principal and Asst Principal tried not to do my walk-through observations during their children's class periods. It has never been an issue for me.