Great Group Board Game

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherSandra, Dec 26, 2008.

1. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 26, 2008

We purchased the board game, APPLES to APPLES, when it first came out. Though pricey then, I've seen it under $25 in stores now. It's an awesome game; we pull it out every time we have a group of us together...over 4 people is best! There's also a Jr. version and teachers have used that in the classroom! :thumb:

Here's a link if you're interested in what the box looks like:

http://www.amazon.com/Apples-Party-...e=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1230311243&sr=8-1

Anyone have any great group games that you enjoy playing particularly during the holidays?

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Dec 26, 2008

I have Apples to Apples and I've never even taken it out of the box! Now I'm going to have to dig it out!!!!!!

We played Pictionary Man, and it was fun. We also played Blokus 3D (but only 2-4 players can play that) and we had a blast. I bought Blokus 3D for my class (it was on sale for $8.99 on Amazon -- usually $29.99) but of course we had to test it out! Good thing I bought 2 of them -- so now I can take one to school and still have one at home.

4. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 26, 2008

Rainstorm...you will LOVE this game! If anyone stops by, my 14 yr. old will ask, "Can we play Apples to Apples"? :haha:

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 26, 2008

Not a board game, but love card games Phase 10 & Skip Bo..ever played???? You buy them at the store.

6. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Dec 26, 2008

Catch Phrase is a fun game!

7. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Dec 26, 2008

I love Apples to Apples. I have Apples to Apples Jr. for my students. I separate them into 4 groups and put the cards in Ziploc bags. I rotate the bags after a group has used their bag. To keep track of my students (and make sure they are playing and not arguing) I made a score sheet that they have to fill out as they play. It works out well.

I love Catchphrase and Scattergories for group games with friends.

8. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Dec 26, 2008

We got Apples to Apples Kids for Xmas this year. My daughters (6 1/2) really love it! I can imagine the adult version is a howl!

We also got Pictionary Junior and had a lot of fun playing it.

9. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 26, 2008

hmmmm .... we must be strange. My family played Apples to Apples last Christmas and we decided it would stay in the box this Christmas. We didn't get into it.

This year we resorted to Texas Hold 'Em and Shanghi Rummy.

10. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Dec 26, 2008

We got this for my daughter last year. It really is a great game! Lots of fun, and not complicated!

11. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Dec 26, 2008

My 17 y.o. daughter loves the game of Mad Gab. We also love Scattegories & Catch-phrase.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 26, 2008

We love Mad Gab. We also love to play Fact or Crap.

13. MrsWbee

MrsWbee Companion

Dec 27, 2008

We just bought my stepdaughter Apples to Apples Kids this xmas and after the kids went to bed last night all the grown ups stayed up playing it!!! We also love Scattergories and Phase 10.

I got my brother Dirty Minds for xmas.... I can't wait to play!!!

14. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2008

I LOVE apples to apples! Target had a "To-go" version for $10 on Black Friday... It seemed to be the exact same thing, just in a smaller box with a handle, so maybe it didnt have as many cards. My students ALWAYS ask when we are going to play next.

My little sister got Pictureka for Christmas and that game is a lot of fun! That's my favorite part of Christmas - we all get board games and sit around and play.

15. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Dec 27, 2008

I love Apples to Apples. My friends and I play one of the alternate versions listed in the directions. The one where you go for ironic or ridiculous. For instance, if the drawn card says "Delicious," players might throw down cards that say "Dumpster," "Susan B. Anthony" and "Running Shoes." The winner is the one that gets the biggest laugh or "EWWWWWW" from the dealer.

16. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Dec 27, 2008

My current favorite board game right now is Cranium. We played it on Christmas day at my mom & dad's house and had SO much fun! It has a little bit of everything in it...pictionary, charades, name that tune, trivial pursuit, cryptoquotes...you name it!

I've been wanting to try apples to apples for a while now....I'll have to take the plunge and buy it. I wish I would have bought it the week before Christmas...walmart had it on sale for $18.

17. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Dec 27, 2008

I love Apples to Apples, we played it with my in-laws. Six of us, it was soooo much fun!!!

18. njsiii

njsiii Rookie

Dec 28, 2008

The game we played at Christmas that everyone enjoyed was Wits and Wagers. Trivia mixed with Craps type betting.

19. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 28, 2008

Is Apples to Apples a blurt out loud type of game?

As a hard-of-hearing/deaf person in the family with hearing people, I steer away from these types of games. If not, I'm gonna have to check it out!

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2008

We played Apples to Apples at Thanksgiving- so much fun! We played this weekend as well at my BIL's house- same group of people...I have the JR edition at school but haven't opened...I'm wondering if 2nd graders will do well with it?

21. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Dec 28, 2008

Apples to Apples would work well with hard of hearing people as well. It isn't a blurt out loud game, I have never liked them that much.

I got it for Christmas and have the Jr. version in the classroom. That and Scattergories are my too favorite games!

22. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 28, 2008

My class loves the Cadoo game by the Cranuium people. The many learning styles covered are great for them!!!

As a grown up, I must confess, the teachers and myself have all checked that game out for the evenings in turn.

23. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 28, 2008

My sister is in 3rd grade, and she plays the regular one with us. We just let her put back cards if she doesn't know who or what the things are on them. Otherwise, she is pretty good at it!

24. Ross

Ross Comrade

Dec 28, 2008

My daughter bought home Apples to Apples from college. She said all her friends love the game. We have now been playing it at home.

I have not won a game yet. No one understands the brilliance of my selections!

25. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 28, 2008

I always had it pegged for a blurt out loud game which is why I never looked at it. How DO you play?

I love board games so I get something every Christmas. My kids got me 3 dice games, rummikub and electronic monopoly here and now. One of the dice games, "Swipe", is now a quick favorite with my 5 year old. It is fun enough though that all of us can play. That's not an easy feat for a game. My older children won't play candyland, etc. Basically depending on what color the dice lands on, you swipe a dice from the center or from any player or from all players. The same goes for the chips. Then at the end of the game, you total up how many chips you actually end up with. It's fast paced enough to keep my older ones entertained and simple yet strategic enough to have my youngest showing his impish grins.

We just finished rummikub. I had forgotten just how hard that game can be sometimes. I won 2 out of 3 games. It is known in my family that I have magic fingers. Haha. I don't let them win just to let them win. We PLAY! I will give them some strategic hints though. ;)

26. MrsWbee

MrsWbee Companion

Dec 28, 2008

LOL!!!!! I seem to have the same problem!