Great Florida Teach-In

Discussion in 'General Education' started by NewTeacher, Jun 10, 2012.

1. NewTeacher

NewTeacher Rookie

Jun 10, 2012

Hey everyone I am looking to relocate from NY to FL. I am currently certified in ESE and SS in FL. I went down to the job fair last year but got down there to late to have any interviews : (

I am wondering if anyone has any advice about the job fair (like if they got offered a job/contract while there). What time should I get to the job fair and should I try and contact principals before I go to see if I can get an interview?

I am especially interested in the southwest area of Florida (Martin County, St. Lucie, Palm Beach), so if anyone has any advice on how to get a job there I would appreciate it!

Thanks!! :D

3. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2012

I have no experience with this.....but I would be emailing EVERY principal immediately with the dates u will be in town

4. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 11, 2012

Martin & St. Lucie just put up their open positions. Apply right now through the districts. I'll PM you with more info.

5. DisLauraT

DisLauraT Rookie

Jun 12, 2012

I am also wondering about this.
    I am looking to relocate from IL to central Florida. I primarily am looking at Osceola, Orange and Seminole Counties.

I've been emailing like crazy and am going to call as many as I can tomorrow.

Anyone else have any advice?

6. laelia

laelia New Member

Jun 13, 2012

I actually received my first teaching job AT the Teach-In last year! I went to the fair when there were 15 counties/school networks participating. So you might not have the same hassle I experienced. I think I got there exactly at 7 am and I left around 3 pm with a job offer.

-- Before the Teach-In ----

Like Chebrutta said, APPLY BEFORE. You look like you've done the research and can get straight down to business.

Obtain a temporary certificate to teach in florida.

Research ALL of the counties and student populations. KNOW the history and what the counties are looking for.

--- At the Teach-In ----

If you want to have time interview, get there EARLY. At least a half an hour BEFORE the doors open. There are only a few slots for each county.

Know where you are GOING. Make sure to Sign-In and drop off a packet for each county/school you are interested in.

Make TONS of copies of: resumes and short CVs. Place them in bright folders to get attention.

Tailor a 30 second, "Why you should hire me -- RIGHT NOW" speech. You won't have a lot of time in the interview to talk.

Be honest. I had to turn down a few people who recommended me for jobs I was not comfortable teaching.

Be FRIENDLY and NETWORK. I talked to all sorts of amazing people (principals, job hunters) at the Teach-In from around the country. A principal actually told me he would love to hire me, but thought another principal probably needed me more. (I got the job with the second principal).

Dress Professionally. I dressed in lovely a two piece suit & skirt. (Bring a nice leather bound notebook as an accessory/hold papers so you look like you mean business). Some wore a tank-top and flip flops. Needless to say I was pushed to the front of the line to talk to administration. Wear comfortable shoes because there aren't a lot of places to sit.

Leave the Teaching Portfolio at home. I brought mine and honestly it did not help. I would recommend creating a pamphlet and allowing them to keep it.

Lastly, go alone. Please do not bring your family members. I saw a lot of other young graduates doing this or trying to hang out with their friends.

--- After the Teach-In ---

Send Thank-You notes to EVERYONE you talked to. Even though I got a job, I sent thank-you notes to those I met with. I sent both hand written and online notes.

I hope all these tips help...There was another thread similar to this last year too.