Great experience today at Panera's

Discussion in 'General Education' started by INteacher, Aug 4, 2008.

1. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 4, 2008

After a day of shopping, my DD and I popped into Panera's for a quick snack and claimed the closest booth. Shortly thereafter, three teenaged girls sat in the booth behind us. So, as I get up to refill my drink, I observed the common teenage posture - head bent down looking into lap that is usually connected with rapidly texting. Lo and below, I almost fainted when I saw what they were actually holding in their hands - BOOKS!! Real books, not magazines but real BOOKs and each girl had her own book. :woot: :eek: :woot:

There might be hope after all :2up:

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 4, 2008

:lol::lol:

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 4, 2008

My only question is . . . what kind of books were they reading?
    No,no don't tell me, at least they were reading. Maybe they were each reading one of the summer reading books to tell the other 2 what they were about.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2008

:lol:

6. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 4, 2008

Yeah!!! Someone reached these kids!!!

7. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

I'll bet I can guess what they were reading.....the last book of the Twilight series came out this past week-end. (Yes, I've already read it!)

8. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 4, 2008

Probably so... I've already finished reading all 750 pages of it - LOVED IT.

9. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Aug 4, 2008

what age is the Twilight series for? I have considered getting it for my classroom but I have not heard of it until today.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack, just so happy that there is something out there that children will read:)

10. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Aug 4, 2008

God Bless Us every one!

11. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 4, 2008

middle/high school, I think.

12. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 4, 2008

That would be my guess. Or maybe they want to be on one of those funny Panera radio commercials.! :p

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 4, 2008

Hopefully, they weren't reading trashy romance novels! :) BTW, I like Panera Bread!

14. Teach2reach

Teach2reach Rookie

Aug 4, 2008

LOL, too funny!

15. allisonbeth

allisonbeth Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

I would say it is due to the new Twilight book coming out. I have seen a bunch of teens reading this (waiting at the soccer field, sitting at the pizza place on Main St, waiting for movies). How exciting to me!

16. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 4, 2008

I would think for the middle school high school level. I am a member of goodreads.com and many adults read it as well. In fact I had no idea it was really a teen book until I started reading it. Doesn't bother me - all four books were page turners.

By the time the 3rd book comes they start to talk about physical relationships...in the 4th book they begin talking about sex more....not sure if its appropriate for the 5th grade.

17. MrL

MrL Companion

Aug 4, 2008

On that note, when some of my 7th graders read the Laurel K. Hamilton books in my class they get very embarrassed when I say "You read the Anita Blake novels?" They don't like the idea that the adult knows what kind of book they're reading!

18. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

Wow! 7th graders reading Anita Blake books? *blink* I love those books, but there is no way I would let my 7th grae read it....maybe the parents are just sooo happy they are reading?

19. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2008

This is refreshing news!

20. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 4, 2008

Who is Anita Blake?

21. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 4, 2008

I love it when kids, any age, are reading! I guess Twilight is the Narnia/Harry Potter/Series of Unfortunate Events for the older kids. Another popular series has to do with a vampire, I believe, unless that is the Twilight series. There's a lot of great books out there, though.

22. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

Sue35, it isn't for our grade.... :(
    runsw/scissors is right, it's a middle/high school thing.

23. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 4, 2008

Yeah, the Twilight series is about vampires. I haven't read any of them, but a friend (23 years old) said that she is hooked on them.

24. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 4, 2008

I read Danielle Steel books in seventh grade. I don't know who Anita Blake is, but is she worse than Danielle Steel??

25. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

That's great.
    Applebees here has books available for the kids to read while waiting for food and stuff :)

26. MrL

MrL Companion

Aug 5, 2008

An awesome supernatural detective book that turned into a supernatural sex-fest after book seven. Or thereabouts. Any book after Obsidian Butterfly. Its amazingly brazen. We're talking werewolf domination. I've been told by now she's had sex with so many were-creatures she has six strains of the lycanthropy virus.

It's a terrible thing to happen to such a well written serious. I go to Jim Butcher's the Dresden Files for great supernatural mystery now. Read eight books in two weeks. Couldn't put them down. The case is always solvable with the clues at hand and the drama, horror, and humor are superb. If Raymond Chandler wrote books in the Harry Potter world, it would be the Dresden Files.

27. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Aug 5, 2008

Darn it:( I need books that these kids can get hooked on!

28. MrL

MrL Companion

Aug 5, 2008

The Artemis Fowl books are really good. Think of them as Tom Clancy's Spiderwick Chronicles.

29. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Aug 5, 2008

I have those but my kids don't seem to love them. I think it must be the size of the books as they are quite long. Maybe I will read one and really talk it up.

30. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 5, 2008

INTeacher, great story!

31. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 5, 2008

You might want to try Anne McCaffery's Pern series. It's a little bit of science fiction (it's set on another planet), a fair amount of fantasy (flying dragons on which people ride), and quite well-written. Personally, I still enjoy them myself! I'm not crazy about her Acorna series, but it's not bad.

Interestingly, McCaffery's son has now written a new installment in the Pern series. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to read it yet!

32. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 5, 2008

My boys were passing around The Lightning Theif last year. I bought a copy for myself, just so i could read it and know what they were into. It is a fantastic book full of Greek mythological references modernized. I couldn't put it down and bought the next book in the series. City of Ember is coming out as a movie some time this fall, so I'll be reading this one aloud to the class. Hopefully some of them will get hooked and want to read the other two books in the trillogy.

33. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Aug 5, 2008

My teens are avid readers, and I am very proud of that fact. :wub:

Their dad and I are huge readers and always have our nose in a book, so they come by it honestly, but they did go through a phase where they would not read for pleasure because they were afraid their friends would make fun of them.:rolleyes: I have always been a bookworm, and I don't recall ever having my friends make fun of me, though they did ask me to do their homework, etc..:lol:

34. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Aug 5, 2008

I read things that were likely too "old" for me growing up. I was a huge Judy Blume fan, though...but I remember when Forever came out and I read it and was passing it around to all my friends in 7th grade. :lol:

I am pretty comfortable letting my kids choose what they read, but I do screen it to a degree. If I read something I think they would like I suggest it. I just finished Jennifer Weiner's Certain Girls, and because it touches on Mother and Daughter relationships in it, I allowed her to read it, but it did have some touchy subject matter we talked about as it came up.

35. ArizonaTchr72

ArizonaTchr72 Companion

Aug 5, 2008

My eighth grade daughter and I were reading the Twilight books together. I read each one to make sure that it was appropriate and then she would read. Well we went to a Breaking Dawn release party and I decided to let her read our copy first. Now I find out from the other teachers at my school that this is much more graphic with more adult situations than the previous three. I am not sure that I am happy about that.

36. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 6, 2008

None of them is mystery or horror, but I like Tamora Pierce's Protector of the Small series (First Test, Page, Squire, Lady Knight), Sherwood Smith's Wren series (Wren to the Rescue, Wren's Quest, Wren's War), and Diane Duane's Young Wizards series (which beginns with So You Want to Be a Wizard and includes the outstanding Wizard's Dilemma).

37. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Aug 6, 2008

I love Panera! I may have to stop there this morning.....HMMM!
    That is great that the girls were reading. I bet you all are right about the Twilight series. I want to get some for my room. I haven't read any of them yet, but everyone is talking about them at my school.

38. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

My daughter loves the Twilight series-she's 8th gr.-I recently picked up Laurie Halse Anderson's books; Speak and the sequel Catalyst. I think every 14-15 year old girl should read them.

39. MissAmy

MissAmy Companion

Aug 6, 2008

The third and fourth books the issue of sex comes up quite often so I don't think they are apropriate for middle school aged students. High school maybe. They are great books though!

~nice to see kids reading instead of texting :)