great day at a high school

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by gardener, Dec 5, 2006.

1. gardener

gardener New Member

Dec 5, 2006

When all you have to do is hand out tests for them to take quietly and then show them a movie like Jurassic Park, it makes for a superb day, even at a high school. That's the day I had and it was my best day yet. The trouble with most of the high schools around here is that they have 80 minute periods. How in the world can a teacher plan for 80 minutes for a sub? I was soooo grateful to that teacher for being absent on a test day! I've been there before when I was supposed to keep them all quiet for 80 minutes, with nothing for them to do!!! It was hell. Today the librarian told me to bring them to her, just call first, if that ever happens again. Thank you, Ms Librarian!

3. Shane Steinmetz

Shane Steinmetz Rookie

Dec 8, 2006

I love quiet days like those! Right now, I'm at a high school during a planning period. Because the teacher runs such advanced classes, she gets two planning periods that run consecutively right before lunch! I guess making the error of staying up a little late last night isn't going to be as bad as I thought, as I've already made it through two periods.

There are high schools in the area that have a block schedule, where each class is about 90 minutes long. Those classes are what you described -- nightmares! I've come into classrooms with nine to ten problem worksheets as the work for the entire period!

It doesn't turn out to be so bad, though. Once everyone has finished their work and has nothing else to do, I'll often sit down with them and talk... and talk... and talk. When there's nothing for any of us to do, that's all we can do.

4. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Dec 9, 2006

Usually for an 80-minute period, the teachers try to plan on min-lessons, as NO child, no matter what age (and no adult either, for that matter!) can sit for 80 minutes and be expected to maintain their full attention. I know the first period of the day is reading and l-arts for me, total of 80 min., and during that period of time I plan 3 20-25 mini lessons, with a short break in between for them to unwind.

5. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Dec 9, 2006

Yeah, the school I teach at has 95 min. movies, and we CAN'T show movies. So, it is a lot of work for a sub. I really don't see any test that I give being longer than 40 minutes.