Great Article -- I Love Teaching and My Students—It’s All the Extras That Are Killing Me

Discussion in 'General Education' started by RainStorm, Jul 28, 2020.

1. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 28, 2020

Backroads likes this.
  3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 28, 2020

Yes, there are too many extras. If they aren't going to get rid of all the extra stuff we have to do I think WE need to stop doing some things that we "think" we have to do. The person in the article seems like she has a hard time saying no to things like students' applications. If she can't do it then she needs to say so.

4. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 28, 2020

That was excellent. I seem to recall growing up in the 90s that classroom management as it is now known didn't seem to exist. And I'm sure my teachers generally managed classrooms just fine. We didn't have clip charts or even stickers. We walked in lines, but they didn't need to be so perfect. Mild talking in them was just fine.

I actually love data, but it really ought to be a different position than a teacher.

stargirl likes this.
  5. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2020

I got a chuckle from her comment about all teachers all over making 3-4 years progress in reading and teaching kids who can't write a sentence how to write an essay. I'm wondering if she realizes that all of that data she must collect is because previous teachers are not doing that. If all teachers all over were doing that, there wouldn't be kids that far behind coming to her.

Her planning problem is an administration issue that needs to be fixed. We always ate in our classrooms in elementary school and when we went to schools with a cafeteria, it was watched by the teachers, not hired aides to come in and monitor. This is nothing new.

She had some good points, but she does have to realize that some of the things she balks at is caused by co-workers who can't teach kids to read or write. It is caused by those in the profession dropping the ball. We wouldn't be on a data hungry track if kids were overwhelmingly on or above grade level, since grade level is supposed to be attainable for all but those who are severely disabled.

Backroads likes this.
  6. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 29, 2020

This is true assuming grade level is evidence-determined and not just plucked from thin air.

I think of kindergarten. Some say it has become what 1st and 2nd grade were. So we have kids failing kindergarten. Is it because the teacher failed or because grade level wasn't achievable?

CaliforniaRPCV and RainStorm like this.
  7. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2020

Excellent question. I think depending on the school, the answer may be different. I also think that if kids aren't coming out of K with what used to be K skills or 1st with what used to be 1st skills, then there is failure enough to go around.

Backroads likes this.
  8. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 29, 2020

I believe I've whined before about what I think to be basic skills simply not making their way into 1st grade.