GRE

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by Ms. I, May 8, 2009.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 8, 2009

So, I just found out that I have to take the GRE to apply to grad school! :mad::mad::mad: (Never needed to take it before & I have a Masters already).

The CSET was the hardest exam I've ever taken, so is the GRE easier or harder?

I've been to their site to see the next test date (Oct. 24th), location, etc.

Anyone who has any info, tips, best study book to get, site giving practice questions, etc. AT ALL would be greatly appreciated!

3. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

May 8, 2009

The GRE is similar to the old SAT, but add in an analytical reasoning section. I can't actually compare it to the CSET (as I'm not sure what that is).

If my memory serves me, I think there may be a brief essay section on it as well (or perhaps that was the GMAT). Standardized test essays are ludicrous and nothing to worry about, though.

My advice would be to get as many real GRE's as you possibly can and take them as practice. I'd also recommend the Princeton Review's techniques over Kaplan's, though I'm somewhat biased on that.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 8, 2009

CSET exams, with the exception of CSET Writing, are about what you know. GRE is like SAT, GMAT, ACT, and CBEST in being a test of what you can do in reading, writing, and math: it's more advanced than CBEST, of course, but that's the general idea.

Princeton Review's pretty good for it, but best bet is to look at all the books and choose the one that works for you. (My personal favorite is Up Your Score, for the SAT, but it doesn't have practice questions.)

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 8, 2009

I took the GRE ... I used Princeton Review ... it wasn't bad.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 8, 2009

Thanks guys! I know NOTHING about the GRE since I just found out I need to take it. I thought I'd get to go around it.

I had another question: If I need to retake it, is it a different version of questions every single time, like other exams?

Any more info?

What do you mean by get REAL GREs? Is there a source that gives the actual questions? If so, how do I get this?

TeacherGroupie, does the UP Your Score book have advanced enough questions even though it's for the SAT?

Thanks ku alum. Will write this down too when going to the library.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 9, 2009

My recollection is that the skills aren't that much advanced compared to the SAT. The test maker (I don't right now recall whether GRE is an ETS test or a College Board test) has issued a fistful of released tests, under the title The Real SAT because these ARE tests which have been used for real in living memory. If you take it more than once, you might get the same version both times but I rather think you're likelier to get different versions.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 12, 2009

BTW, I don't have 3 1/2 mos to study. I just found out I have to take it probably around July 1st, so I hope 1 month is a good enough time to study?!

QUESTIONS

1) Any more helpful info? How hard are the hardest math questions (geometry, trigonometry, calculus)? Any dreaded word problems?

2) I heard there are 2 essays: 1 to write & the other to kind of critique. What topics are those usually about?

(I'll continue to bump this thread up to get more replies! I need all the help I can get!)

9. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

May 12, 2009

The math is not terribly difficult (mostly algebra), but some of the questions are very specific types that you want to get used to doing. There are quite a few probability questions.

The main reason the math section is hard is because it is more of a "how fast can you do all these," rather than "can you do these." If you can work math quickly, I doubt you will have much problem. If speed is an issue with math though, you should probably drill with lots of practice problems.

10. sahsjing

sahsjing Rookie

May 13, 2009

I took GRE in 2004, and got 800 in GRE Quantitative section.

From my personal experience, the best way to prepare GRE is to do official GRE problems released over the last 5 years.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 16, 2009

sahsjing, I went under Google & typed the phrase: Official GRE questions, but do you happen to know how I would obtain OFFICIAL GRE questions? What's the site for that?

I need all the help I can get since I know nothing about the GRE.

Thanks again guys.

12. NewGirl23

NewGirl23 Rookie

May 16, 2009

I took the GRE about 3 weeks ago. I used Cracking the Gre 2009 and found it to be wonderful. The book is divided into sections so it makes it easier to read through. The book also has a code you can put in so you can take a few practice tests online.
    The math section only questions you up to algebra and geometry...there is no calculus on the test.
    My biggest issue was my vocabulary. I would begin studying that section immediately unless you feel confident in your skills.

Good Luck to You!

P.S. I passed my test:D

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 16, 2009

The single biggest predictor of success on the non-math parts of GRE, SAT, and ACT is a first-rate vocabulary.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 17, 2009

I took the GRE several years ago and didn't find it to be particularly difficult. I didn't study for it at all because I found out that I needed to take it like two days before the test was administered.

I got a near-perfect score on the Analytical section. That part of the test was actually fun! I wish the whole test had been like that, with logic questions and stuff. I did very well on the verbal section and pretty well on the math section.

They gave us our unofficial scores immediately after the exam, before we left the test site. That was fun.

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 17, 2009

Thanks guys!

NewGirl23, thanks for your info since you took it so recently. I'll check out that book from the library since I found some good reviews on it.

Cassie753, I'm glad they can give unofficial scores immediately after, that way just in case, there's time to register again if I don't pass.

I don't think I'll be able to take an actual prep course, but that's ok. Any more info?

16. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

May 27, 2009

Seriously the vocabulary is the hardest thing on the GRE. In addition to the vocab the Princeton Review gave me, I also bought a Pocket Vocab book from Merrim-Webster. I would review vocab everyday until the test.

I believe the math is 8th-10th grade level. Just do the practice problems your prep book gives you.

I believe whoever administers the test has a list of writing prompts for the writing section. If I remember correctly, the writing section is timed so I would practice of few of the prompts so you know to write a decent essay in the time frame allowed.

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 27, 2009

As to the writing prompts, there are two types: Issue Topics and Argument Topics. Go to the GRE Web site (you can get there via http://www.ets.org/gre) and search for "pool of issue topics" or "pool of argument topics" to find the pages that list the topics.

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 27, 2009

Thanks! Keep the ideas coming! That Pocket Vocab book from Merrim-Webster sounds like a good idea, I'll probably do that. The NEW WORLD version right?

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 27, 2009

Bookstores abound with good vocab study guides: root around among the test-prep books at your nearby Bord & Noble till you find something that feels right. A good SAT-vocab prep book should do nicely.

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 27, 2009

TeacherGroupie, thanks also for the site reminder. I have 5 study books:

Kaplan
    Princeton Review - Cracking the GRE
    Barron's - probably won't have time to get through, but will scan
    McGraw-Hill's - probably won't have time, but will scan
    Official ETS study guide book, I better read through it FIRST!

Which do you think is the next best one to read 2nd?

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 27, 2009

That's overkill, in my opinion. You may find that one of them handles math better for your needs and another one handles language better. But there's very little reason to study FIVE books.

There's no such thing as the one best resource for everyone, that's for sure.

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 28, 2009

I know I can't get through it all, which is why I'll skim through the 2 I said I would skim.

If I can learn ONE tip from one book that none of the others had, it would have been worth it! :D

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 1, 2009

So the day has come! I take it TODAY & I wish I had another month to study! :unsure:

24. NewGirl23

NewGirl23 Rookie

Jul 1, 2009

BEST OF LUCK!!!!!!!!!

25. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 1, 2009

Thanks a lot, I need it!

26. NewGirl23

NewGirl23 Rookie

Jul 1, 2009

I really understand....I just took mine last May and PASSED....I hope that will provide you with a small amount of encouragement!

27. kinderdl

kinderdl Rookie

Jul 24, 2009

Just a question and I hope you all will not thing its dumb. I applied for the masters program and they told me you need to take the GRE. I said ok but then they said well just do your best the scores don't really matter for admission. I wondered then what is the point of taking this test, paying the money and driving out of town since none are offered where I live. I feel like money down the drain. LIke if college courses and books are not pricey enough. any thoughts???????

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 24, 2009

The GRE is generally a university requirement for post-baccalaureate study. In general, for grad school, one applies to the specific program (and has to satisfy its requirements) but one also applies to the university separately (and has to satisfy ITS requirements). If you did all right on SAT, you'll do fine on GRE.

29. KinderESLtchr

KinderESLtchr Rookie

Jul 26, 2009

A lot of teacher ed grad programs actually waive the GRE now. I agree that it is annoying that you have to take it if the score does not even matter to the school. I have two masters degrees but I only had to take the GRE for entrance into one of those programs. It was an English as a second language program that happened to be housed in an English department; they only cared about the verbal and analytical writing scores and not the math. I did not have to take the GRE for my curriculum, instruction, and assessment masters. I bought a study guide and took practice tests online with GRE vocabulary words. That helped as well as reviewing the criteria for each score point for the analytical writing. Best of luck to you!