GRE

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by mstnteacherlady, Oct 7, 2007.

1. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Oct 7, 2007

I am looking to start school for my Master's in the spring and need to take the GRE before next summer. Has anyone taken this? How do you prepare for it and what is it like? Tests make me extremely nervous and I want to be as prepared as possible!

3. frodolass

frodolass Comrade

Oct 7, 2007

I took the GRE a couple months ago. I used Barron's "How to Prepare for the GRE with CD-ROM" to help prepare. There are several books like this out there. I liked the CD because it helps prepare you for the way the test is set up. I did okay...my quantitative score was low, but my verbal reasoning score was pretty good, so it evened out. It was not as difficult as I had feared and regretted putting it off for so long. Once you figure out the way the questions are set up, it's not that bad. You can also check out ETS for some great information as well as practice materials: http://www.ets.org/portal/site/ets/...toid=b195e3b5f64f4010VgnVCM10000022f95190RCRD

I took the computer-based test and I liked it b/c it gave you your score immediately (not the writing portion of course).

I'm in my first semester of grad school and am loving it!

Good luck!

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 8, 2007

The GRE bears a family resemblance to the SAT: it's a test not so much of your knowledge as of your skills in higher-education reading, writing, and math. There are lots and lots of books to help people prepare for it; browse through them to find the one that works for you (or at least the one that turns you off the least). It's also the case that most university Extended Studies programs offer prep courses - those are by no means necessary, but there are certainly test takers for whom the expense and accountability of a prep course serve as good motivators to study.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 9, 2007

I took the GRE just after graduating in May of 2006 with my bachelor's degree so I could apply for graduate school immediately. The math was way over my head - anything beyond multiplying is. Honestly. I went in considering it would be a test run to see if there was anything I could do to pass, but I did the first time. I should be embarrassed to say that I got the lowest math score you can possibly get (I'm pretty sure I'm not exaggerating) but because my other scores were good and my college considers your undergraduate GPA, which was near perfect, I had no problem getting in. And getting in is getting in, so the math doesn't hurt my feelings one bit. :)

Well, just sharing my experience. Good luck!

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 9, 2007

Oh, as far as the undergraduate GPA...what I was referring to is one's GAP score.

I don't know if it is a universal consideration or not. It is determined by mulitplying the GPA by the GRE-Verbal + GRE-Quantitative. So, if you did well in your undergraduate work perhaps you will not have to stress too much depending upon your college's requirements. :)

7. math_teacher

math_teacher Companion

Jul 23, 2008

Hi,

I am planning to take the GRE soon and I am a math teacher. I feel pretty confident about that section of the exam but I am completely petrified of the verbal sections.

Other than getting a practice book - does anyone have advice for those sections?

Thanks!!!

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 23, 2008

The essay section is more or less as for Praxis I/PPST essay, of which I believe you're a veteran: it matters less what you say than how you support it and whether you use correct mechanics and a reasonably collegiate vocabulary. GRE still retains the analogy section, but otherwise is still broadly similar to SAT.

Breathe, please, math_teacher.

9. math_teacher

math_teacher Companion

Jul 24, 2008

Actually, the only praxis I needed with the math content one...so I am several years out of shape from taking verbal things - like SAT.

Thanks so much for the tips on the essay!

-- by the way -- the essay is typed if you take the computer version of the GRE right?

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 24, 2008

You didn't need a basic skills test??

11. math_teacher

math_teacher Companion

Jul 25, 2008

nope. In NJ - HS teachers only need their content praxis. Elementary teachers take a couple tests I think....but for HS they only want the content one....

12. Engteach13

Engteach13 Rookie

Jul 25, 2008

:eek:

I take my GRE today in about 2 hours. I am super nervous as I , too, am terrible at math.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 25, 2008

Clearly that's news to me, math_teacher.

Generally what's wanted is a strong "high-school five-paragraph essay". LearningExpress sells several books that contain useful help and exercises.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 25, 2008

EngTeach, sorry I didn't see this earlier. Hope you're remembering to breathe.

15. math_teacher

math_teacher Companion

Jul 27, 2008

Thanks so much -- I will look into those :)

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 27, 2008

Think of the persuasive essay as sort of the narrative version of a proof: it's gotta be organized and you gotta have evidence to back up your assertions, and it has to conform to certain standards of style (though, of course, those will look rather different in the essay than in the proof).

Good luck, and don't hesitate to pick brains here.