GRE or MAT?

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by elaradreamstar, Nov 1, 2009.

1. elaradreamstar

elaradreamstar Rookie

Nov 1, 2009

So, I am applying to Slippery Rock University in PA for the basic track program in M.Ed. Social Science (gets me the first lvl of credential). They say that they will accept either test for admission. My question: which should I take. I know that GRE is longer, that MAT is all analogies, and that both are hard. Is there a cost difference? Can they be taken on line?

What do you guys think? Please, advise me!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 1, 2009

In case your plans change, GRE is probably accepted by more institutions. I don't now recall whether it's offered by computer, but chances are pretty good that it is. Try looking it up on line. If you take it on computer, you'll almost certainly need to go to a testing center - but at least the testing schedule should be more convenient.

4. Anne wmcosuvamu

Anne wmcosuvamu Companion

Nov 2, 2009

I took the GRE to get into my MEd program. It is available on computers. I had to go to a testing center, but I got to choose from a wide variety of times and days because the testing center can give it individually. I was the only person taking the GRE, there were other people taking other exams.

And I don't think it was too long -- only four hours or so, if my memory serves me right.

5. petit_ecole

petit_ecole Rookie

Dec 19, 2009

I'm going to be taking the GRE here in VA. I've been reviewing the kaplan books as well as the practice tests online, and I've been bombing everyone of them. Seems like I'm weak in areas: analogies, antonyms, reading comp, and quantitative. The only thing I'm sort of good at are the sentence completion and sometimes, the writing portion. HELP! Anyone out there have some other venues that they use/d to study for this tough exam? I thought the CSET was bad...it's a walk in the park compared to the GRE!

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 19, 2009

Bonsoir, petit_ecole. It's been a while; good to have you back.

Have you been reviewing the approaches in Kaplan, or just plowing through the practice questions?

If the former, you could simply be someone for whom Kaplan's approach doesn't work. That's not unusual: there's no such thing as one book that's right for everyone. Try visiting your local big bookstore and browsing through the offerings in GRE prep to see if there's something else better suited to your needs and your learning style.

7. petit_ecole

petit_ecole Rookie

Dec 19, 2009

Merci beaucoup TG. I miss this forum! I have actually tried to follow kaplan's recommendations and have tried applying their strategies, but I'm still picking the wrong answers; mostly the answer traps. It's so frustrating, and I suddenly feel very dumb. I'm taking the exam in early February. It's truly an intimidating exam, and I don't quite like the fact that the test adjusts to the test taker's intelligence. I don't want to end up with all the easy questions since that will not help my score at all :( Kaplan has worked for me in the past though, so perhaps I just need to keep working at it. Thanks for your advice, as always ;)

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 19, 2009

I need to be elsewhere shortly, so it may be a while before I answer again... but could you try cataloguing the traps into which you've been falling to see if there are useful patterns?

LearningExpress's Reasoning Skills Success in 20 Minutes a Day might be a good choice for you.

9. petit_ecole

petit_ecole Rookie

Dec 19, 2009

That's a great idea. Thank you so much!

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 19, 2009

I don't see you not doing fine, petit_ecole, truly.

11. petit_ecole

petit_ecole Rookie

Dec 19, 2009

Aaaawwww...TG, vous etes vraiment gentil. I will let you know in two months! On verrons :)

Bonne nuit!

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 3, 2010

Comment ça va, petit_ecole?

13. petit_ecole

petit_ecole Rookie

Jan 3, 2010

Coucou TG,

Merci de votre message. Mon examen c'est lui en 6 semaine!
    I will let you know apres :)

Bonne Annee!

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 3, 2010

Breathe, please, okay? (Sorry: I just ran out of French.)

15. petit_ecole

petit_ecole Rookie

Jan 3, 2010

Definitely! Incidentally, I bought that reading book you've recommended. I find that the book is very easy to follow, and I do very well on it; but on the GRE practice ones, the reading materials are so ambiguous that it's often difficult for me to establish its main topics :( I STILL score an average of 50%! I am at a loss! Why do they do that to us??? Anywho...merci beaucoup pour ton aide.

16. petit_ecole

petit_ecole Rookie

Feb 28, 2010

Does anyone have any pointers on how to tackle this deep analysis of an issue, "only once one has known real sadness can one feel true happiness"? This is one of many GRE issue topics.

Thanks very much!