Gravity Lessons?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by sjnrae, Dec 31, 2010.

1. sjnrae

sjnrae Rookie

Dec 31, 2010

Our science curriculum map for the next two weeks focuses on gravity: "Students will investigate how objects are pulled toward the ground unless something holds them up (gravity)."
    I am required to teach 45 minutes of science a day, and I'm having a tough time finding enough material, that's appropriate for kindergarten, for two weeks. Our science curriculum has nothing on gravity (which is not uncommon, the curriculum rarely lines up with the kindergarten state standards :huh:).
    Does anyone have any ideas for lessons or experiments involving gravity, or know of any free online resources for teaching about gravity?
    Thanks!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2010

4. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Dec 31, 2010

We read the story of Henny Penny. There is a cute art project to go with it, but I can't remember the site-maybe Making Learning Fun? I'll try to describe it in case you can't find it. They paint a paper plate brown. Using red const. paper, they trace around their hand & cut out. Glue to the top of the paper plate to make the comb. Glue a yellow const. paper triangle for beak. Glue 2 pennies for eyes. I have an acorn pattern that I make copies & have them color & cut out. I tape a pipe cleaner to the back of the paper plate & tape the acorn to the other end of the pipe cleaner. I then bend the pipe cleaner so that it looks like the acorn is over the paper plate. I put these out in the hall with a sign that says Henny Penny-A Lesson About Gravity. Hope that make sense!

5. sjnrae

sjnrae Rookie

Jan 8, 2011

Thank you for the great ideas!

6. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jan 10, 2011

There is a Big Book with a CD (or tape) called "Gravity". It is really cute, uses fairy tale characters to tell the story. Like Humpty Dumpty, Jack and Jill, Eency Weensy Spider, etc.