Grateful for my chances.....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2017

I've been thinking about the number of chances that I've received over my short teaching career. Many of you know of my rookie year issues but was granted an additional 2 years to hone my craft. Then on to new grade levels at a completely different school for my 4th year and it turns into a one-and-done year. Now I'm at a new school but my 2nd year at the high school level and it feels totally different than last year... my absolute main concern was dithering on doling out consequences for cell phone misuse. This year, I have a shoe rack for a cell phone jail so there's no hesitation. The classroom furniture is arranged so that I can work the crowd quickly and efficiently. I'm nipping things early and things are ok for now.

My overall point for my thread is that I feel fortunate to have had opportunities to keep getting better. Because who knows how many former teachers are out of the teaching field because there was no 2nd or 3rd chance opportunity to become better and to learn from past mistakes. Sure, some teachers just aren't cut out for it. But there are many who got that 1st chance but no more and I feel lucky to be where I am.

AlwaysAttend and Upsadaisy like this.
  3. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Aug 20, 2017

That's a nice, honest reflection. I am fortunate that the first district that hired me out of college 5 years ago was/is great, and I've done well here, but I know in other districts I may not have had it as easy for a variety of reasons. Sounds like you're off to a great start for this year!

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  4. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 22, 2017

This be your last chance ranch

5. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2017

Rumor has it, the teacher before me sat at her desk on her cellphone and didn't teach and wasn't worth a lick. Some of my current students told me they've learned more in one week that they had last year in total.