Grass Greener on the other side?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by brejohnson88, Apr 29, 2012.

1. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Apr 29, 2012

I am an 2nd year early childhood special education teacher. I absolutly love my job. Teaching is excatly what I was born to do. I knew this ever since I was 7 years old. I ended up moving 3 hours away down here when my boyfriend at the time got a teaching job. I didnt want us to split, so I followed him down here and I ended up getting a job. We were together for a year, and then he left me after we disagreeded on what to do about his job situation (he had gotten fired and he wanted me to quit my job and move with him AGAIN). I obviously must love my job this much if I was willing to be alone and homeless to keep my job.

I teach two sessions of early childhood. My first class is blended (reg ed kids and spec ed kids together) and my second class is regular ed pre-k. I love my special education kids. This year however, I now have 8 special ed kids in my room, along with 10 regular ed kids! 18 pre-k kids with almost half of them with special needs. I have 2 aides since now my numbers went up. I still never got an answer if this is legal or not. My newest student takes 2 adults to control him. He is so fast and out of control.

After the last few weeks and with pretty much NO communication from my administrator and being ALONE for the last 2 years in a building, I am feeling very overwhelmed and stressed. I know im a good teacher. I know my students need me. They need me bad since no one else seems to care about them. This weekend, I heard the school district a town over from where I work (the town I actually live In), has 2 openings and maybe even more coming this week. I live 2 blocks from this school. I decided to look into it and found myself applying for the job this afternoon. I called my best friends mom who is actually a principal for this district to ask about how I handle asking my boss now if I could have a reference. She told me I have to ask, and seeing how my boss for the last 2 years is my only teaching experience, how do I not ask for a reference. She gives me all excellents on my evals, so I dont see how she could say no or give me a bad reference. I just dont want her to know that I am looking into other options. Especially if these options dont work out. And its not because I dont enjoy what I do, its just that Im sick of being overworked, not appericated, and not listened to. Will the grass be greener on the other side? I dont know. I feel like it wont be perfect. Im just hoping for it to get a little better. any advice for anyone thats ever been in this situation? :help: I feel like if I leave my current school I will be hurting my students :(

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 29, 2012

Could you possibly imply that you are looking for jobs back where you are from? Your P might be understanding about that, and I would think it would be easier on you if you don't find another job.

4. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Apr 29, 2012

I am leaving my current job for a more desirable position next year. It was a really hard decision- I agonized for months over telling them that I was leaving, who to ask for references, what to do if things didn't work out, etc. I ended up meeting with both of my admins and telling them that I really love the school, and I love my kids, but I wasn't happy with the area. I would highly suggest that even if that's not true for you, you make something up that does NOT paint the school in a negative light. One of the big reasons I was looking was because I wanted to move to regular ed, but knew this was a slim possibility and didn't say anything b/c I didn't want my admins to think I didn't want/like my current job. I love my kids, and I like the school. They were very supportive and provided references for me. They told me I had a job there if I didn't find anything else. I know what you mean about the "grass being greener." Part of me is still worried about leaving a school I like, and one that I know I pretty much have guaranteed employment at. However, I have always, always wanted to have my own classroom. I can honestly say I don't dislike special ed, but part of that is that I have a lot of control over my program and did a lot of pull out where I still got to provide instruction rather than assisting in the classroom. I saw the writing on the wall though in that my district (and I'm sure numerous others around the state) are going to that model. I've done that model of instruction before and wanted to poke my eyes out I was so bored. I loved every second of my student teaching when I was in my own class. Even if it doesn't turn out well and I find out I was happier in this job, I don't want to be playing the "what if" game my whole life and wondering how things would have turned out if I'd taken the chance.

I also feel guilty about leaving the kids, especially in my situation where I would have been their teacher again next year (since I'm k-5). I know they're going to be devastated, but they'll move on. Getting new teachers is part of the school system, and who knows, they might end up with someone who ends up being even better than I was with them!

5. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Apr 29, 2012

The job I am interested in is my current school's rival. It is 6 miles away from our school and this is the town I now currently live in. These towns are small (less than 6,000 people) so everyone knows everybody and their buisness. My district I currently work for is small (1 school, already lost other schools) with enrollment slowing increasing where this district has 4 schools and seems to be growing. Rumor is people are putting bets on how long my current school can last until we become another ghost town. Do I just ask my current boss for a reference and not say where I am interested in? Doesnt help that she is VERY hard to approach and is not friendly, however I do think she likes me.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 29, 2012

I honestly would lie. (That sounds horrible!) I would say that I am homesick, and that you want to try to get a job and move back to your hometown. Tell your P that you like your job, but you feel like you need to at least see if there are opportunities out there closer to home.
    Get the letter of recommendation, and if you make it through the interviews to the reference checks, it won't really matter if you burn your bridge then.

I am looking for a new job, and while I have 5 years of experience, I am finding that teaching the same grade (5th) for 5 years is hurting me when applying for K-2 jobs, even though I have an Early Childhood endorsement on my license. So, I asked my P if I could change grade levels next year if I return. (She knows I am looking and is 100% supportive). I told her that since we are changing to Common Core, I feel now is the time to switch, since we all have to learn a new curriculum anyway. I simply told her that I wanted to try something new. The real reason? I want to teach 2nd (or at least 3rd), to gain experience in a different grade level so I can make myself for marketable.

7. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Apr 29, 2012

I have no objection to lying, expect I feel that she will find out somehow I even applied for this job. My friends mom told me I should go introduce myself to the principal and give her a letter of introduction and resume. Apparently my p and this other p know eachother very well (so I feel that my name my come up in convo even if I am not being considered). Do you think its fair to not put her as a reference put let them contact her as my past employer? I could bring a copy of my eval for the principal to look over if I get a interview. I just dont want this to hurt me with the possibility of not even getting an interview.

8. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Apr 29, 2012

Does the other school pay more? You could always say that you love your current job but need to look for somewhere that offers you more financial stability. If you'd be doing something other than early childhood (a different grade level perhaps) you could always say you were looking for a new challenge. If you're really backed into a corner, the most I would say is something about how you would like the new opportunities this other program would offer, being careful not to say anything negative about your current school.

If you go introduce yourself in person, maybe say something about wanting to wait until further in the process for your boss to be contacted.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 29, 2012

I agree with this. Especially if they are rival schools- the new P should be understanding of this.

10. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Apr 30, 2012

will it look bad to not have her listed as a reference though? My only other references are from people who have seen me student teach. I dont have a mentor or anything like that, and im the only ec teacher in my building. The job would pay a bit more, and I would probably have to teach a different grade level for a little bit. But that is a good suggestion because I will probably never change grade levels at my current school since my degree is very rare in this county.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 30, 2012

I worked at a school for 10 years and I recently left for a new job. I am SO glad I did. I can not find one thing about my old school that is better than the new one. As soon as I got the offer I was gone in 2 weeks. I would have given less than 2 weeks notice but then I would have lost the $$ owed to me for my vacation time.
    Also, I did not put down my principal or assistant principal down as references. Nobody knew I was looking for another job except my former mentor teachers and my supervisor I worked with on an outside therapy job.

12. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Apr 30, 2012

I believe I have decided what to do!!

I need to ask my current p to sit down with me and let her know of my concerns. Im not even sure at this point if my classroom is legal with how many children I have! I believe she will not be aware of my unhappiness and concerns unless I voice them. I am going to ask her if we can somehow come up with a solution to this problem.

I am still going to apply for the job (just finished the cover letter now\. More tweaking of resume and other things tomorrow and the app will be in). Depending on my P's answer, depends on how hard I try to persure this new job. I have only told my friend who is my para in my classroom since she knows how unhappy I am. I will keep this to myself and ask that my current p not be contacted unless an offer is on the table. I believe if I get an interview, then I will bring my evals with and they can use those along with my letters from my cooperating teachers 2 years ago. My evals have to count as something...

I am scared. I guess change is scary. But I cannot possibly believe that each single educator is as unhappy as I am right now. All I can do is atleast apply for the job, it cant hurt.