Graphing lesson!!

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by michelin, Sep 26, 2007.

1. michelin

michelin New Member

Sep 26, 2007

So I found out today that an administrator is coming in next week (10/2-10/4) to observe a three day lesson. And of course I have to be teaching a lesson that my students struggle with, graphing!! The section focuses on bar and line graphs, and I was wondering if anyone had any good hands on activities that would be good to do with an administrator in the room.

If anyone can help I would be forever grateful!

3. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Sep 26, 2007

I don't know if I'm much help as this is my first year teaching. But, we're doing a unit right now that includes graphing. In fact, line plot and bar graph were our vocabulary words today. We're doing the Connected Math series "Data About Us". Like I said, this is my first year, but it was a blast. I think the kids enjoyed it because they weren't learning to graph something like the length of a whale, but instead we talked about our names - how they got their name, when does name length matter, etc and then made a table with everyone in the classes name length. We then graphed that material. The part they found facinating was to compare the graphs they made against my other classes and see how similar or different the shapes were. It was actually quite fun. Tomorrow we do a lesson on mode and median, using the same information! It's been fun. I don't know if that helps or doesn't help, but thought I'd throw the idea out there for you! Good luck - you'll do great!

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 26, 2007

Ohhh, Dynamite, that is a great lesson! I would use that in front of admin if I could. I think something like that would really impress them especially because you are connecting it to the students and real world. Good luck!!!

5. sadia

sadia Rookie

Apr 8, 2008

i also taught the same lesson to my students, but for that in one or half period or may be during break time they can collect data about the liking of sports or flavours of icecreams etc then tell to to arrange and sort the data then on computer they can use excel to plot graph

6. 1gdteach

1gdteach Companion

Apr 8, 2008

I did a unit on bats, but I integrating math. I did a big science board that said BAT-I-TUDE and I had 3 sections. I had I like bats, I don't like bats, I don't know if I like bats. I let the come up and place their bats in the section that described them. We then counted up each section and made a tally mark "graph" for each section. Then I marked the floor off in 3 sections and I had each child stand in his section according to his feeling about bats and I took a picture of them (this was a picture graph) I know this is probably confusing, but if you need help figuring it out let me know.