Graphing activity

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by kell447, Apr 23, 2008.

1. kell447

kell447 Rookie

Apr 23, 2008

I was wondering if anyone had any cute graphing activities they would be willing to share. I was hoping for a nice rich lesson, possibly with a book, some sort of a whole group activity, and then some independent work. Any ideas?

3. mokdgteacher

mokdgteacher Rookie

Apr 23, 2008

We graph all kinds of things! M&M's, lucky charms, jellybeans, shoes, eye color, hair color, how many letters/syllables in name.

4. soflgal

soflgal Companion

Apr 23, 2008

How about m& m's? They are always fun..Estimate, Graph the colors, and add colors together. (red + green=___ )

5. MrH

MrH Rookie

Apr 24, 2008

I got this from the Zoo Activities Page on this site...

Go on an animal hunt through your school - and graph your findings.

Before school you will need to go around and put up copies of animals throughout your school.

When the kids come, go on a hunt and when you find one, you color a square / mark on your graph. Each student will have a pencil and a clipboard ready to go...

Afterward, you can go back and collect the animals and create a graph in the class... see if it matches the students work.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  6. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Apr 24, 2008

I do a lot of graphing throughout the year:

Valentine heart candy by color on Valentines Day.
    Lucky Charms marshmallows on St. Pats Day.
    Dem Bones candy on Halloween.
    These are graphed on graph charts in small groups.

Also during small groups we graph color of eyes, hairs, male or female siblings, types of pets, etc.

During "regular" days we graph a lot by using a magnetic white board and magnets with each child's name. We graph different topics of the day. If someone talks about the Dentist. We graph "Do you like the Dentist" yes or no. "Is there stuff under your bed?" yes or no. "Do you jump in the pool or go in slowly?"

This is done during whole group time depending on where the discussion or book we read leads us. I present numbers, equal, greater than and less than symbols at that time.

We graph using tallies and bar graphs. We have also used Unifix cubes and blocks to bar graph.