Graph of the day/week

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by woobie5, Jul 14, 2009.

1. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Jul 14, 2009

Do any of you do this? If so .... how can I incorporate it without it being labor intensive. Do you make a "basic" graph ahead of time, laminate it and then color in the squares or something? Or ... should I just use a white board and draw my graph each day/week. Need advice here! THANKS!

3. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jul 14, 2009

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 14, 2009

Vary the graphs each week. Consider using tactile materials with some of them (maybe bar graphs) - like stacking a cube to indicate a response.

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 15, 2009

You can ask a survey question at the beginning of the week and get the kids' answers as well. There's a lot of different questions you can ask- and the graphs you complete at the beginning of the year can be obvious like "What color shirt are you wearing?" or "What color hair do you have?"

I am going to survey my students this year and then have them "tally" themselves with a small picture of themselves on a magnetic background. Then they can move themselves around the board to complete surveys the class has.

6. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2009

I think I'll do one graph per week. Maybe.

I think the topic could relate to writing since I'll mostly be teaching writing to all the fifth graders this year. I can see it really working well for persuasive writing.

I'm starting to design the math bulletin board. So far, I've got:
    Section 1: a calendar with the days flipping over to form a pattern--just like Calendar Math but with a pattern that relates to our standards. For example, there is one set in the kit that has circles that are partially filled in. While going over the calendar, I will ask questions such as what percent is filled in; what fractional part does the circle show? But students would write in their notebook: "Today is Monday, September 14, 2009" before I start teaching.

Section 2: A laminated card that says "The pattern is ________" Students will write down their guess before I have them flip the card.

Section 3: Write the date as a fraction over 100 with space for simplifying the fraction, as a decimal, and as a percentage.

Section 4: Name the first five multiples and all the factors of the date.

Section 5: A place for making tally marks for a graph that we'll make together for bar and circle graphs, and the graph that we'll do together.

Section 6: A line for a list of numbers, then a line each for the range, mean, mode, and median for those numbers. Sometimes I'll make the numbers relate directly to the graph.

Section 7: About four whiteboards with a story problems or review problems on them.

They can write this all in their notebooks while I'm doing lunch count and silly secretarial work, and then we'll go over everything. I'll allow them to whisper to each other and work together if need be. Sometimes they won't be able to do Section 5 yet, particularly if we're doing a line graph. And they don't know much about percentages in circle graphs yet to be able to do it on their own.

All this will change after a month or so, and I'll add other things and drop some as the year progresses.

What I need is a way to hang a large white board or four of my small individual white boards.

I'm going to number each section with a huge pawprint, since that has to do with our school mascot.

Eventually I'll have a student running the show.

So I posted more than you asked. It's just that I'm getting my head around it and finally got a sketch down on paper today.

I like the idea of coming up with the topics for the graphs ahead of time like the site suggested, but I probably won't do that. I'd have to plan too far in advance for that! Which is so unlike me.

7. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Jul 15, 2009

I do a graph of the week. We take the data on Monday, and then use the same data all week with different graphs each day. It usually just takes about 5 minutes at the beginning of math class to do this.

8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 15, 2009

9. natelukesmom

natelukesmom Companion

Jul 15, 2009

I did a graph of the day only during our graphing unit which lasted about 2 weeks. I did it on the white board. I had the students names written on mini-accents with magnets on the backs. That way students could just move their name to their choice for the day.
    I don't do a graph of the day the entire school year, because we graph the weather every day and I feel like that takes care of it. ;)

10. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 15, 2009

We do bar graph of our weather over the year. Really interesting. You could practice different kinds of graphing with shoes, eye color, hair color, how many letters in their names, etc. They love this by the way. I fell down on the weather graph this year and really missed it.

We also graph m/ms, and gummy bears!

11. little317

little317 Groupie

Jul 15, 2009

I would like to do a graph a week this year. I went to a Math Connections workshop and I have a list of all kinds of questions for graphing. This will be a nice addition to the graphing we already do for the weather at calendar time. At the beginning of the year I do a lot of simple graphs at "get to know you" activities.

12. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 16, 2009

I do a daily question. You can do a t-chart graph to start, with yes and no as the answers, then move into bar graphs-both horizontal and vertical. I do these with colored masking tape right on my chalkboard. The kids have magnets with their names on them (I print labels with their names-red for girls, blue for boys-leads to great discussion about more/less boys/girls...) I have also done venn diagrams (using the name tag magnets), had them answer a question by posing the ? on a sentence strip and having 3-5 answer choices on 2 liter bottles. EAch kid puts in 1/4 cup of sand into the appropriate bottle (put a funnel in the tops). We then talk about how we know which had the most votes...that you can't tell exactly how many like with our name tag graphs... I have also given each kid a styrofoam cup with their # written on the lip and they stack their cups on one another behind their answer (question is on a sent. strip, answers laid out on counter). Hope some of these work for you.

13. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Jul 16, 2009

Oh, I love those ideas, Beth! I love graphs and use them all the time. In fact, my daughter noticed last year and said, "Boy, Mom. You love these popularity contests, don't you?"

I know you love to shop....Have you seen these?

http://www.reallygoodstuff.com/results.aspx?keyword=question of the day

Sometimes we would use clip boards and have the kids interview each other to create individual graphs.
    You can stick pipe cleaners in clay and the kids slide a unifix cube on their choice...

14. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jul 16, 2009

I love the graphing sites. I'll be using some of these. We graph weekly on my magnetic white board. Sometimes I use foam shaped magnets with the children's names on them on T graph. Other times I use tallies. We just use topic we are talking about during the day. I also graph during the holidays: Lucky Charm marshmallows, candy Valentine hearts, etc.