grants

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by teacherkasey, Aug 17, 2002.

1. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Aug 17, 2002

I teach Kindergarten in a day care center in an extremely poor and dangerous area of Providence, RI. It is difficult for us to get money to buy things for our classrooms and to improve our playground. I want to provide a safe, stimulating, and educational environment for my students.

I don't have the money to do this alone and someone I know mentioned writing grants to get money. Does anyone know an websites or books that list grants available to teachers and information on how to write a grant? Any help would be greatly appreciated by not only myself, but my students and the rest of the staff and students at my center.

Thanks!
    Kasey:rolleyes:

3. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 18, 2002

Here are some to wet your whistle with. I hope the info is up to date. good luck:

http://www.ed.gov
    follow the link, money matters. What should i know about ED Grants? The guide to US Dept. of Ed. Program gives the information needed to apply for federal ed programs. You can try on the web site or write for the 200 program list and future grant competitions to:
    US DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION
    office of educaitonal research and improvement
    555 New Jersey Avenue, NW, room 214
    Washington, DC 20208-5725

AOLGrant@aol.com
    emphasis is placed on disadvantaged children and communities!
    Write for information:
    Corporate Outreach director, America Online
    22000 AOL way
    Dulles, Virginia 20166

The pitsco technology education web
    www.pitsco.com

NASA grants and other peoples money
    http://quest.arc.nasa.gov/top/grants.html

Online grant resources
    http:// www.siec.k12.in.us/~ice/grants.html

4. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 19, 2002

Kasey,
    I tested the sites today and one (the last one didnt work). I apologize for the error. I think the NASA list offers a lot of ideas. Some grants will be specific about how many persons it wants to impact and you may need to write the grant for the entire grade level. or even the entire population. Sometimes there are so few funds remaining that if its JUST for your class you will get it. Some grants are NOT for consumeable items and other grants are not for Hardware... Good luck. ruth

5. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Aug 19, 2002

Ruth,

Thank you so much for all of your help. I am so busy getting my room prepared for September that I have only glanced at the sites you have given me. I am definitely going to look in more depth this weekend. Your help is greatly appreciated! It means a lot to me and will mean so much to my students (and possibly the other teachers) if I am successful!!!!!

Kasey

6. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Aug 20, 2002

Last year I requested 2,000 from Walmart for playground equipment and got it. We purchased a shed (I'm in a portable) and lots of new equuipment that we would have never had a chance to buy. Check with your local store and see if they offer any assistance. I didn't have to write a grant, just a really good leter describing how needy we were, what we were going to use the money for, etc.

7. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 20, 2002

These are the 'insider tips' we all should know about. I know of Law firms that donate old furniture when they remodel. This includes file cabinets, desks, chairs.....