Grants

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mjennings, Feb 27, 2010.

1. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Feb 27, 2010

Have any of you ever applied for any type of grants? If so...what were some of your ideas or projects. I am trying to brainstorm and see what I can come up with.

3. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2010

I'd love to know too!

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 27, 2010

I have written grants for reading libraries, magazine subscriptions, computer labs, flannel board activities, writing programs, author's luncheons, field trips, guest speakers, assisted technology equipment. Does that give you some ideas? (I've been teaching a long time!)

5. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2010

Swansong, how do you find available grants? do you look online or are you on some sort of mailing list?

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Feb 27, 2010

Don't forget donorschoose.org

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 27, 2010

Many of the school districts I have worked for have a foundation that gives teacher grants. The computer lab was a federal grant. Most of my grants are found with internet searches. Many big companies have foundation depts that will give teachers grants. Some that I can think of off the top of my head are Target, Lowe's, Home Depot, Verizon. Our local Walmart will give you things if you bring in your request on a school letterhead. Publix will do the same thing. I just had a DonorsChoose grant funded for rugs for our portable (it gets very cold). For more ideas for grants, look through the ideas at DonorsChoose.
    I usually google grants for teachers and it gets me going. Good luck...it's a great way to get things you need for your classroom!!

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 27, 2010

There was another thread on this topic a short time ago. I have written lots of grants.

The best way to find big grantors is to look in the (Name of Your State) Foundation Guide. Your local library should have one. When I was building up a resource file, I watched the local paper for articles about grants. That seems to be the best way to find local, small grantors.

Ask around. Usually there are some local groups wanting to fund small classroom projects. If you only need a few hundred dollars, the small social clubs are the place to go.