Grant Writing

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by kidatheart, Jul 1, 2009.

1. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 1, 2009

I have seen some great products on the market lately - nothing too pricey, but more than my personal budget will allow (I spend too much as it is)!:p
    How do you go about grant writing? Is there a minimum or maximum amount that you can request?:unsure:
    Appreciate any input you can provide!

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2009

Many districts have a Education Foundation that raise money for grants. Ours has a link on the district website. That would be one area you can check. I have found grants by googling (grants for schools, educational grants, teacher grants, etc). There are websites that have discussions on the forum (DonorsChoose, for example) that are good resources. Check with your school PTA, if you have one. Ours gives the teachers yearly grant money. All we do is submit receipts.

Most grants are pretty easy to write. Just follow the guidelines to the letter. Feel free to PM me if you want more specific advice.

4. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jul 2, 2009

Yep, that's what I did. I wrote a foundation grant (found it on our district website) and got it. Before you go writing grants though, be aware - they are a PAIN IN THE BOOTY. These people don't just hand out free money. Noooo... You have to work for it.

For example (okay now you've got me on my grant soap box - but I can't resist) - our school was located across the street from a grocery store. I wanted to walk my kids across the street each week, buy some groceries, and then use them to cook each week with. So I thought, wow - that'll be a lot of money for the whole year - I'm going to write a grant for it!

Turned out I had to write a 7 page report, lay out all the recipes for an entire year, separate all the ingredients in a table, take the table to the grocery store and write down all the prices for everything (they ask for an itemized budget) and agree to have a huge party in the end as my culminating event. And after I totaled all the money - - - it was a whopping $350. Whoopedy freakin' do. AND that's not all! Due to poor weather or other issues - I only ended up actually spending $200 of it! In the end, it was worth speding $400 out of my own pocket not to have to mess with writing that dang grant. :lol:

Our foundation won't give grants for classroom supplies, curriculum, or field trips. It has to be some sort of "project." Also, they don't give you money up front. You have to puchase everything, then write up a final report (yay! Another report to write!) and then get reminbursed. And it's been over a month since I sent in my final report and I still haven't gotten my lousy $200 back.

NOW, before you guys all think I'm a total B for pissing on people's grant cornflakes - - I'm not saying to never write grants. What I'm saying is - if you're going to write a grant, write a grant for BIG MONEY. Make all that work worth your while! The way you do that, is write the budget portion FIRST. Find out how much everything will cost. If you're doing a project like me, take into consideration that you may spend a lot less than you anticipated, budget or no. THEN decide if it's worth it.

I will be writing more grants in the future ('cause our district has no money and everything comes out of teacher's pockets) but I'll be writing grants for no less than 1K.

Just sayin'. :2cents:

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2009

My experience with foundation grants has been much more positive. Our application is 2 short pages and does include an itemized budget, but not as detailed as Zoom's. We receive the check for the grant and then we have to fill out a short review and send in receipts at the end of the year. We can ask for anything we can dream up. Right now their funds are limited due to the same old budget constraints, but it is still an option for funding. The largest individual grant I have written and received was from a private company for a 30 computer lab and 5 laser printers. Writing grants is time consuming and sometimes frustrating,but worth it.

6. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jul 2, 2009

That's a good point. All grants are different. I'm kind of angry that our foundation doesn't allow grant-writing for equipment. I could have made a huge list... And who knows when I'll get that money back.

I'm trying to think up projects that are over 1k and don't have huge budgets to write. I found out afterward that board members rarely attend culminating events. So I won't be so nervous next time!

7. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 5, 2009

Thanks for the information - Zoom, I hope your next grant writing experience won't be so frustrating!! What a headache!

8. CityESLTeacher

CityESLTeacher Rookie

Jul 6, 2009

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 6, 2009

I've gotten several things funded through Donor's Choose (most under $250). There are a couple of other grants that I write regularly, both are Louisiana grants. One is a max of $750 and the other is a max of $1000. The applications for the Toyata Tapestry grants will be coming out soon. (http://www.nsta.org/pd/tapestry/) They are more detailed and worth more. (Mini grants for $2,500 and large grants for $10,000).