Grandparent's Day

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Matt633, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Sep 3, 2007

Does anyone have any new, fresh ideas for Grandparent's Day?
    I teach fourth grade but I had most of these students three years ago in 1st grade.
    The Grandparents are invited for breakfast and then each class is left up to their own devices.
    I have made booklets, had the grandparents bring in something for Show and tell, made bookmarks etc. but though I would ask since I get such great ideas here! :)

3. teal

teal Rookie

Sep 3, 2007

Yeah I am looking for a cool and different idea too....I have always done having the grandparents read a picture book to a small group and then just talk with their group. We only have about 20mins.

4. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Sep 4, 2007

Dear Teal,
    One thing that I have done with great results was to have the grandparents bring in something for Show & Tell and have the grandparents share! We always get great things in and the kids love it! But like I said I have done that with this class before. Try it I think you'll like it!

5. Mrs. Chick

Mrs. Chick Rookie

Sep 5, 2007

I don't do grandparents day. What do you do for kids who don't have grandparents? I never had any of my own that could have come to school and it would have made me very sad to not have them. JMO.

6. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Sep 5, 2007

There are always some who have GP that can not make it. They are allowed to bring a substitute, but most of the time we do things in a group way and the GP's always include the kids without anyone (GP's are great that way--me being one I can say that :) And I always let the child who doesn't have a GP there to talk about their GP in whatever we are doing.

7. FallCreekGal82

FallCreekGal82 Companion

Sep 5, 2007

At the Early Learning Center I work at one of the classes took pictures of themselves holding up a sign that says love you to pieces. The kids then made a picture frame with old puzzle pieces glued to it. They turned out really cute. This same class has also invited grandparents to come in and read to the students. It is working out really well!

8. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Sep 6, 2007

Thanks Fall Creek that sounds great

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 6, 2007

My son's teacher sent home an envelope for us to address. It was for grandparents, great aunts/uncles, etc. My son, though he has both sets of grandparents, chose his great aunt. She mails him stuff all year long and though he doesn't know her very well, he knows her heart. Plus her daddy just died and he mentioned something about that. Awwww.....

10. Bloom

Bloom Companion

Sep 10, 2007

Mrs. Chick mentioned how it might be difficult for those students who do not have living grandparents to come to the celebration....I think that that issues could/should be overcome by allowing students to speak of their grandparents lives and accomplishments (either living or dead). This day isn't about just honoring those grandparents who are living, but rather learning more about where each student came from and appreciating their families. This day is a great way to address and celebrate family histories, traditions and experiences.