Grandparents Day

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by bstcus, Sep 10, 2006.

1. bstcus

bstcus Rookie

Sep 10, 2006

I am hoping someone has some ideas for Grandparent's Day. I am the assistant teacher at a local church for ages 3-5. The lead teacher and I took over the preschool last October. We have never had to plan for this day. The lead teacher decided to leave the plans up to me. I want to plan something exciting and fun. I just don't know what. One of my sessions is from 830-11AM and the other is 1200-230. Any plans, snacks, or ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you
    Sarah

3. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Sep 11, 2006

Our school used to have a Grandparent's Day. We changed the name to Friends and Familiy Day because many children did not have grandparents because they were deceased, living out of the area, or working. They felt left out. We have an open-house and picnic.

4. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Sep 11, 2006

We have a creative arts exhibition (art work, dance, singing) by the children, open classrooms with the grandparents helping the children with worksheets and other activities (most centred around how things are different). Mostly the kids get a buzz out of showing their grandparents their school, where they eat, play etc. We also have a book fair (scholastic) where g/parents can buy and donate a book to the school, or give it to their grandchild. It goes for about 3 hours and is exhausting, but fun, one of the highlights of the children's year!

5. JaZMum

JaZMum Rookie

Sep 11, 2006

My daughter's class recently had Grandparent's day. The teachers set up different activities for the grandparents (special friends) to do with the children. Maybe you could make an activity passport that the grandparents need to get stamped after they have finished an activity- they could then receive a certificate when their passport is filled. You could have singing time - where your group sings some favourite songs. As far as food goes, my daughters teacher asked that each child bring a plate of food for the adults to share.

6. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Sep 11, 2006

Does anyone have their children make something for the grandparents that the students can give to them when they come.